BMW 4.4 and 4.8 liter V8 engines of 2010+ vintage

Status
Not open for further replies.
They get very expensive to keep up with. A warranty is a good idea, but maintenance can also get pricey. Theres also alot of technology that fails that wont be covered by most warranties unless theyre explicitly bumper to bumper like BMW CPO. The non turbos have valve stem seal issues, so consumption is always a problem, and a nice puff of blue smoke after idling for a little is a bonus ha. Were starting to see differential issues on the earlier ones, v8 and the diesels just blow them up. Another customers power rear trunk was inop and shut closed. Both rear power liftgate actuators installed were around $1300. Runflat tires easily $1k installed. Front brakes 650-700 at my shop, 900 at the dealer, (OE Zimmerman and Textar) newer models are more expensive than that right now. Dont even ask about the shocks with the adaptive suspension. Power front sway bars are leaking all the time, always have though since 02 745. Just did 8 coils and plugs on an 11 x6 5.0 last week and we were at around 1100 I think, plus other little [censored]. Overengineering at its finest. I went to school for these models in 2008 and its really amazing what kind of technology these cars pack behind the scenes, and that was almost ten years ago!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
If you can afford a Benz or BMW.... you can also afford the necessary repairs.

That's not true at all. You can pick up a great (looking) 7er for 10k.

The next repair could cost you that much (or more!) if you don't do your due diligence and buy the right car.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What a bunch of goons.

On a 2010+ BMW V8, you need to be aware of: smoke on startup, timing chain noise, and secondly air codes.

Have a proper pre-purchase inspection performed by a BMW Service Center or reputable independent shop. Be up front! Tell them you need a PPI and you want them to be brutally honest.

Ensure that the N63 Customer Care Package has been performed or can be performed after purchase. A BMW Center can read the key to check.

Skip any Range or X5 with air suspension.

My LR3 with the air suspension has required less attention suspension wise than my Liberty or XJ Cherokee, at 155k miles. Why would I avoid something that rides and handles great, can raise it for off roading and lower it for tight parking garages, and in my experience, has been more trouble free? (it's mostly original at 160k)

Last edited:

You might be surprised at how often people overextend themselves to get the fancy car, but can't afford to maintain it.

@rooflessVW: Maybe, but my experience on the LR forums is that they've come a long way recently. Lots of people beat on them with little issue.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

You might be surprised at how often people overextend themselves to get the fancy car, but can't afford to maintain it.

Yep, and it's a cycle...they shop based on price, which gets them into something with more issues to start and they're already over stretched so it all snowballs from there.

With normal maintenance, I think a lot of Euro stuff can be as reliable as anything else. If you get the vehicle young (like under 70-80k miles), I think you're better off, even better if you can get something in the 30k mile range. I'd rather pay more to cut mileage.

I hear it every day at my shop. Just bought a 2015 e300 with 30k. Needs a B service, which is $300. Oh my god why is it so much how can that be. You just blew 35-40k without a second though but 300 is too much? GTFO

Guys i have no intention to stir up the pot or hi-jack the thread! Looks like.. Benz is somewhat better than BMW in terms of reliability...in general?

Originally Posted By: 2008wrx
Guys i have no intention to stir up the pot or hi-jack the thread! Looks like.. Benz is somewhat better than BMW in terms of reliability...in general?

Stir up the pot. I am looking at GL 350 as well but have no prior experience with Benzes

Benz is somewhat better than BMW in terms of reliability...in general?

I'd say the other way around. And Porsche is more reliable than BMW if one of those are in the mix.

Benz is way more reliable now than any BMW, since they updated the timing chains they are a much better car. Porsche is probably the most reliable, but their maintenance is also the highest.

Last edited:
lets stir it up lol... What does Porsche/Audi/VW produce their car differently? I am not talking about style; comfort; material etc! Most of their parts are coming from the same vendor? Even the 2.0 whatever de-tuned turbo engine? Audi is as good as Vw or the vice versa..

I'm not exactly sure if I'm answering your question and I am no expert on VAG (Volkswagen Auto Group) cars but I think they have a lot more sharing between divisions than BMW or Mercedes, so for one, they probably worry more about getting issues sorted as lots of vehicles will be derived from a platform and then they simply get better at building a platform since they're making many more. For example, take a BMW 3 series vs an Audi A4. The 3 series platform is largely designed for a 3 series, and doesn't really get used anywhere else. The A4 is based of the VW Golf. So whatever goes into the Gulf has to be reliable and planned out well since it's a massive seller, so naturally the A4 benefits from that development/experience.

I've never driven a 3 series of any type and never drove an A4 except for an 06 that was [censored] (I suspect it had been badly wrecked), so I don't know about the differences in driveability. But I think that's why VAG cars are probably the most reliable out of the Euro bunch. As Jeremy Clarkson said, every VAG car is basically a Golf or a Polo. LOL

Do they sell many of these V8's overseas? I'm wondering if parts cost are kept low(er) if the engine in question is sold elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

Stir up the pot. I am looking at GL 350 as well but have no prior experience with Benzes

You probably have to be more specific with the year. I bought a Benz because I felt they were more reliable than BWM. BMW seems to have a lot more electrical glitches. You would have to be careful with the year you buy and research the year. Not a big fan of diesels basically because they sold so few of them and in the past when people had problems, the only one who knows how to fix/diagnose them are the MB dealers. Plus you get crickets on the forums because so few people bought them. In terms of engines, probably 2010+ have been more reliable than in the past. Early V6 3.5L engines and 5.5L engines had problems with balance shafts and timing but that was fixed after a year or two with revised parts.

Originally Posted By: Audios

I hear it every day at my shop. Just bought a 2015 e300 with 30k. Needs a B service, which is $300. Oh my god why is it so much how can that be. You just blew 35-40k without a second though but 300 is too much? GTFO

I think you can get the lease payments on an E class that's the base model down to a tad under $500 a month. $300 isn't bad for B service, I think it's normally about $500 at an MB dealer, A service is typically about $300. I don't bother getting them done on mine though because I'm way out of warranty. A service is basically a glorified oil/wiper blade change and they check a bunch of stuff. B service is the oil change with the brake fluid flush/filter change. Some B services can be more involved with spark plugs and transmission fluid changes.

And I hope you meant 2017 E300 or 2015 E350. And if it had the P3 package, then you can say GTFO, but if it's just P1, probably just a sub $500 lease.

Life is way too short. I can't belive the amount people scared of a German cars. That is all I drive currently have 4 in the stable and would not trade it for the world. They are not as problematic as all these people driving 15 year old camrys think. I would stick with a 2013 or later as there has been some changes made. And personally I would go with the N55 if I had the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back