BMW 230i (B46) oil

The manual calls for 0W20 or 0W30. If I did a quick oc I'd put in 0W30
Have you used the online Oil Checkers but selected the UK or Europe to see which oils are acceptable in other markets ?

It would seem, going by comments on here, that BMW USA don’t list all the specs the engine can use, but instead the one which is likely better for economy and emissions.

Checked some recommendations outside of US and it's somewhat varied. Shell UK, FR or Ger all say 0W20. Castrol EU recommends 0W30 with an alternative 5W30 mentioned. Q8 UK - 0W20, 5W30, 0W30.

I found a UK owner's manual and it lists from 0W20 to 5W40. Approval LL04, LL12FE and LL17FE+

One thing that stands out all are lower SAPS than LL01 and that includes the US LL17FE+ recommendation.
Should I be looking for something that LL04 or near equivalent?

There is a 0W30LL available that is LL04. It appears to have better PAO content (10-25%) than the recommended LL17FE+ (<10%) but not as good as the LL01 0W30 (25%- 50%) that @edyvw recommended.

What reason could there be for the recommendations I've dug up being lower SAPS? Everyone on the thread is sure there is no GPF. @chris719 saw on TIS that LL01 is appropriate so maybe I'm off base thinking about SAPS.

I'm only putting on about 50 miles /wk so may not worry about any change of the oil until the year passes.

Checked some recommendations outside of US and it's somewhat varied. Shell UK, FR or Ger all say 0W20. Castrol EU recommends 0W30 with an alternative 5W30 mentioned. Q8 UK - 0W20, 5W30, 0W30.

I found a UK owner's manual and it lists from 0W20 to 5W40. Approval LL04, LL12FE and LL17FE+

One thing that stands out all are lower SAPS than LL01 and that includes the US LL17FE+ recommendation.

There is a 0W30LL available that is LL04. It appears to have better PAO content (10-25%) than the recommended LL17FE+ (<10%) but not as good as the LL01 0W30 (25%- 50%) that @edyvw recommended.

What reason could there be for the recommendations I've dug up being lower SAPS? Everyone on the thread is sure there is no GPF. @chris719 saw on TIS that LL01 is appropriate so maybe I'm off base thinking about SAPS.

I'm only putting on about 50 miles /wk so may not worry about any change of the oil until the year passes.
BMW has been recommending mid SAPS for most of the world since around when N55 was introduced. The full SAPS was a North American only thing for a long time. BMW has finally been switching to mid SAPS in NA with the transition to LL17FE+. For example, 2023 BMW M2 (S58) manual calls for LL01FE full saps 0W-30, 2024 M2 (same engine) owner's manual now asks for LL17FE+. If you're concerned and willing to use LL04 then I would just use M1 ESP 5W-30.

So you see no real reason for the mid saps vs full other than a transition (due to US mogas sulfur having been higher)?

BMW has been recommending mid SAPS for most of the world since around when N55 was introduced. The full SAPS was a North American only thing for a long time. BMW has finally been switching to mid SAPS in NA with the transition to LL17FE+. For example, 2023 BMW M2 (S58) manual calls for LL01FE full saps 0W-30, 2024 M2 (same engine) owner's manual now asks for LL17FE+. If you're concerned and willing to use LL04 then I would just use M1 ESP 5W-30.
LL04 was EU thing since 2009 (+Switzerland etc.). Most of the world used LL01 as sulphur is generally much higher.

So you see no real reason for the mid saps vs full other than a transition (due to US mogas sulfur having been higher)?
I alway lean toward full SAPS if no big issue around LSPI. Some B46/48 did report LSPI, but it seems very rare and specific events. Also, high ZDDP is better in preventing LSPI than low Calcium.
If you want to play on safe side I would go Mobil1 ESP 5W30 or Motul X-Clean+ 0W30 EFE.
Here is Motul UOA from my 2.0T Atlas:
Motul EFE -0W30 UOA-jpg.jpg

If you don't have a GPF, then it really doesn't matter either way. If full SAPS was so detrimental BMW wouldn't have been filling S58 with it until this year.

I alway lean toward full SAPS if no big issue around LSPI
I'm not sure it makes much difference now that the most popular full SAPS oils are also having an API SP detergent package. The Castrol 0W-30 is more of an outlier.

I'm not sure it makes much difference now that the most popular full SAPS oils are also having an API SP detergent package.
They still have higher ZDDP levels. 0/5W40 is not limited in the amount of phosphorous.
The US Castrol Edge 0W30 pds is still old version, API SL.

Probably a reasonable idea. I'd go for BMW LL-04 and just run M1 ESP 5W-30
(or Ravenol REP 5W-30 instead but $$$ and near unobtanium in the US).

Since I'm under wtty, the Mobil 1 is a more comfortable choice to me. It's the 'meets or exceeds' vs outright approval.

The Castrol has a plus in that it's a vis that is mentioned in my owner's manual

Last edited:
Not doubting you, but they sure are bad with wording. They refer to dexos license, MB approval and just "BMW LL-04"

1713238121037.jpg

Back