BMW 2006 325xi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I'm plan to change my oil this weekend but would like your opinion on which of these oil would be good to use on my car, on oil cap it say 5W-30:
Mobile 1 0W-40 on sale for 5.89 quart
Castrol Edge 5W-30 on sale 32.99 for jog of 5 quart
Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30
I'm plan to change my oil twice a year summer and winter. Thanks in advance for all your suggestion.

It seems alot of people here really like the Mobil 1 0W40, but since it says 5W-30 on your cap, you may want to stick with that recommendation. Whatever oil you choose, make sure you use a high quality filter!

Originally Posted By: fusion0389
It seems alot of people here really like the Mobil 1 0W40, but since it says 5W-30 on your cap, you may want to stick with that recommendation. Whatever oil you choose, make sure you use a high quality filter!

Do you have brand name in mind for the high quality oil filter?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: klvaleri
Mobile 1 0W-40 on sale for 5.89 quart

or $5.49 at O'Reillys or $4.99 at Farm and Fleet right now, if you have one near you.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2753325#Post2753325

If you want to stay with an oil that meets BMW LL-01 spec, your choices are:

- M1 0w-40
- Castrol Syntec (Edge with SPT) (GC) 0w-30
- Castrol Syntec (Edge with SPT) 5w-40
- BMW High Performance 5w-30 (Rebadged Castrol) sold by BMW dealers

Just get the one from the dealer. I found them to be quite reasonable price-wise and were made in Germany, versus the MANN filters, which were made in Brazil for my M5.

And I recommend M1 0w40 for oil as well.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Out of those oils , the only one that meets the BMW spec is M1 0w40, so that gets my vote.

+1. 5w-30 cannot be taken as a generic requirement. These are ACEA A3 oils that meet the BMW spec.

Definitely M1 0w-40.

JHZR2 beat me to it.

I really wish they would either stop putting "5w-30" on the cap or drop the ACEA A3 requirement in the manual.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Just get the one from the dealer. I found them to be quite reasonable price-wise and were made in Germany, versus the MANN filters, which were made in Brazil for my M5.

current BMW OEM filter (rebranded Mann's) are no longer made in Germany, they are all made in mexico.. can post pics if you'd like.

The Mann that i have put to one side for the wife's Clio was made in Germany, the Pathfinders Hengst was made in turkey.

Any of those. Long drain intervals are a big part of the ACEA specification. Your engine isn't particularly hard on oil and you're not taking advantage of the long drain capability of the oil with a 6 mo OCI. Use whichever is cheapest. If it's the M1 great.

Originally Posted By: Hessam

current BMW OEM filter (rebranded Mann's) are no longer made in Germany, they are all made in mexico.. can post pics if you'd like.

It may vary depending on the application then? We've purchased a few quite recently for my sister's 03 330i and they were still made in Germany.

there is a difference between the MANN's that are made in Germany and the ones that are made in Mexico. The ones that are made in Mexico are actually better, and more expensive on the regular market.

The ones made in Germany are the regular ones, but the ones made in Mexico have the new Evo Top. on most autoparts websites, the Evo Top models sell for 3 to 4 dollars more than the non Evo Top models.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
The Mann that i have put to one side for the wife's Clio was made in Germany, the Pathfinders Hengst was made in turkey.

did you notice if the mann you put in the wife's car was Evo Top model, or the regular ones?

Originally Posted By: Hessam
on most autoparts websites, the Evo Top models sell for 3 to 4 dollars more than the non Evo Top models.

The evotop ones are less than $6 for my application (925/4X). Not sure what the non-evotop one costs as I've never actually seen one.
smile.gif

It may vary depending on the application then?

It might. The last Manns I bought for my Audi were German. The Evo Top models, to which Hessam referred, are sold in our Partsource stores; I haven't found them through Worldpac yet, except for select models. I never really paid close enough attention to their country of origin when I saw them at Partsource. They do cost about double the price of the regular German Mann there, though.

Wouldn't know what the difference is to be honest.

Part no is W 75/3 it was in the usual (for UK) yellow and green box and the filter is the usual black colour.

It is a tiny filter, only about an inch and a half tall!

What differences are there with this evo top version? Are the differences actually visual or mostly internal?

Originally Posted By: bigjl
What differences are there with this evo top version? Are the differences actually visual or mostly internal?

It might be possibly the fleece media for the Evo Top version. Partsource carries the normal W 719/5 for my Audi and one with a slightly different model number for the Evo Top. I never opened the box or anything. I do know that depending upon the application, Worldpac specifies a fleece only, a "regular" one only, or offers both options. For mine, only the regular one showed up, and that seemed to be the same on the Mann site, the last time I checked.

Fleece is a synthetic media designed for extended OCIs, as opposed to the paper/cellulose versions. It's unrelated to the evotop technology. Both paper as well as fleece media filters are available with evotop.

The main idea behind evotop was to build a more biodegradable filter where the ends aren't made of plastic but instead are made of hardened fused cellulose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back