Blood, Sweat, and Tears

As I understand it, Al Kooper co-founded BS&T with a vision to emulate the Chicago pop band The Buckinghams. The band wanted a stronger singer, though, so Kooper (who had a pretty good session career on his own) got the boot.

I loved The Buckinghams too. My favorite BS&T song, performed on the Ed Sullivan show.

And the pictured album was before the famous David Clayton Thomas joined the band.

I didn't know BS&T broke up after the preceding album, their first album, was released. Columbia had those guys in town.

Last edited:
Another impact group back then. CCR

When I was shuffled off to the Gulf War, lots of the Marines in my unit were playing this. 'I Ain't No Fortunate Son' Their daddies probably schooled them when they listened the same thing off to 'Nam.

1710885665738.jpg

And the pictured album was before the famous David Clayton Thomas joined the band.
Great album, I have several copies of that album. Keep searching for a really good original. My Audio Technica ART9 cartridge and that album are a match made in heaven. Really clean original copies are hard to find and expensive.

Yes such a good group. Imagine if any pop music today had a horn section?!?

Taylor swift anyone?

Another impact group back then. CCR

When I was shuffled off to the Gulf War, lots of the Marines in my unit were playing this. 'I Ain't No Fortunate Son' Their daddies probably schooled them when they listened the same thing off to 'Nam.

View attachment 209289

Love that track.
CCR is still a favorite, although there are so many good bands from that era and so many good tracks.

I didn't know BS&T broke up after the preceding album, their first album, was released. Columbia had those guys in town.
I don’t think I realized that. I thought it was the same voice.

That was “our” song way back in 69. I remember singing it to her one night on a date when it came on the car radio. I took her to to her senior prom ( we went to different high schools and she was a year older than I ) but we were young and life got in the way…so we went our separate ways. About 15 years ago I read in my local paper she had passed away from cancer. I can’t not think of her when I hear that song.

That was “our” song way back in 69. I remember singing it to her one night on a date when it came on the car radio. I took her to to her senior prom ( we went to different high schools and she was a year older than I ) but we were young and life got in the way…so we went our separate ways. About 15 years ago I read in my local paper she had passed away from cancer. I can’t not think of her when I hear that song.
Thanks for sharing.

As I understand it, Al Kooper co-founded BS&T with a vision to emulate the Chicago pop band The Buckinghams. The band wanted a stronger singer, though, so Kooper (who had a pretty good session career on his own) got the boot.

I loved The Buckinghams too. My favorite BS&T song, performed on the Ed Sullivan show.

Al Kooper was a prolific song writer, producer, engineer, and accomplished musician who was very good at many different instruments (although the keyboard was his primary instrument).
Although The Buckinghams were an influence on his forming BS&T, his primary influence was CTA (Chicago) after having seen them performing as the house band at Whisky a Go Go in 1967, before they released their first album. After hearing them he rushed back to NY, finished writing a number of songs that he had been working on, gathered up a number of first rate studio musicians that he worked with, and recorded BS&T's first album, succeeding at beating CTA to the market with the horn section Rock and Roll Band sound.
BS&T was never really a cohesive band, just a collection of studio musicians that changed with each album, hundreds of them over the years. Bobby Colomby, BS&T's original drummer, was band leader after Kooper departed and was with the band for the first 9 albums. He owns the rights to all of the band's work as well as the band's name to this day.

Listen to Adam Carolla’s podcast also? I remember hearing them some as a kid but it’s been a long time. Not that old but the parents listened to mostly golden oldies till I was 12.

Back