Blinded by the light.

Fog lights are now just vanity lights.
I see alot of folks drive with fogs on in normal conditions and wonder is it on cause they need it, or they havent bothered to touch the controls since the vehicle rolled off the lot and hence dont have a clue how to or even know that they are on.

The age old, my new car everything is automatic....smh

That being said, fog lights are being removed from select front ends for cost, efficiency etc, but the ones i have sampled really are aimed way too low to be useful in anything other then offroading at a snails pace. If you want to use them as driving lights on a highway in a foggy night, one would need to upgrade.

I prefer driving very early mornings and I tend to take back highways. As such, I’m a liberal user of high beams. Just wondering, what evasive maneuver is a driver going to do when their fogs light up a coyote or deer on the shoulder 20-30ft ahead at 60mph? Anything that isn’t actively lighting your actual path is a distraction. Fogs/aux/driving lights are for low speeds.

When we rented a car in France (a Renault Megane) I couldn't figure out how to use the headlights. I had high beams, fog lights and parking lights. I read French tolerably well but couldn't figure out from the 5 or so pages of mostly text in the manual how to turn on the low beams instead. So we pretty much avoided driving at night. But we did have an early flight to catch and had to start off at about 0400 for the airport. It's nice driving through the French countryside and villages at that hour. There was no-one else on the road so it was high beams and go.

If we had been stopped by the police do you suppose they would have showed me how to turn on the low beams?

One more reason for universality of automobile controls.

I have drop in LED replacement bulbs in my ‘15 F150 because the factory halogen headlight were awful. I sometimes wondered if they were on. I did adjust the lights down as far as they go, and I’ve only been flashed once in two years.

I think that there are just so many bright OE and aftermarket lights on the road that people are desensitized to bright headlights. I’ve learned to avert my eyes to the right, but as I’ve aged, the bright oncoming lights do effect me more than they used to.

The next generation of factory LED’s are going to be incredible. I’ve seen Audi has a headlight that brightens around other traffic. The scariest part is the replacement cost. Insurance costs will go up and more cars will get totaled just from headlight capsule replacement costs.

I do feel day time time running lights are a useful feature. With factory halogen headlight the DRL’s are pulse width modulated to about 60% of full brightness. Drop in aftermarket LED’s, on mostly Japanese cars, turn this modulation into a noticeable strobe which annoys and distracts me.

I do feel day time time running lights are a useful feature.
When Canada introduced the requirement for day time running lights in all new vehicles the rationale was that it vastly improved the visibility of oncoming cars. Especially in low light conditions. And it does seem to work.

The opposite effect is clearly true. A vehicle not having day time running lights in a group of vehicles that does have them almost disappears.

As I recall the concept came from one of the Nordic countries.

Reactions: Pew
When Canada introduced the requirement for day time running lights in all new vehicles the rationale was that it vastly improved the visibility of oncoming cars. Especially in low light conditions. And it does seem to work.

The opposite effect is clearly true. A vehicle not having day time running lights in a group of vehicles that does have them almost disappears.

As I recall the concept came from one of the Nordic countries.

I really like Canada's law on DRLs. My first time up there on a road trip through the Rockies, it's just easier to see and mentally note the position of other cars with them.

I replaced my 19 ram classic to led. Aimed them as low as possible and am amazed at the difference.Then after upgrading the rear coil springs had to reaim. I stopped getting flashed so I think they’re safe.The vette hasn’t been out yet but I don’t expect much.
65886977234__8A745F6D-B721-4A07-8DFB-E5A38C134CD2.jpeg
IMG_1586.jpeg
IMG_0498.jpeg
123_1.jpeg

It seems to mostly be ford trucks with the ridiculously bright lights, Chevy seems to aim theirs better and dodges don't usually have bright headlights.

It seems to mostly be ford trucks with the ridiculously bright lights, Chevy seems to aim theirs better and dodges don't usually have bright headlights.
I was driving home on I 90 last night around 3am and the semi’s were the most obnoxious

I really like Canada's law on DRLs. My first time up there on a road trip through the Rockies, it's just easier to see and mentally note the position of other cars with them.
I like DRLs too. My only caution is that if you're driving in Canada and don't have DRLs you might be the vehicle that disappears in traffic. We have many visitors from the US in this area and I'm really careful to watch out for their "invisible vehicles".

Back