What is the limits when it comes to light bars?

Just a note to say that the combo of good LED’s and a pair of 100W halogen round driving lights make a very, very pleasing combination.

Just a note to say that the combo of good LED’s and a pair of 100W halogen round driving lights make a very, very pleasing combination.
For on-road driving? Likely not legal and just a nuisance to other drivers.

Personally, I have a fairly bright LED light bar wired into the high beams on my Escape. Legal, technically not, but I only use my high beams when no other cars are around anyway.

I use a Diode Dynamics 18” bar as my high beams. As soon as I see traffic I turn it off like I would my regular high beams. I currently work night shift (5pm-5am) and drive less traveled back roads. Legal? No, but I honestly try not to be a jerk about it. Did have a county trooper tell me while it’s not legal as long as I treat it as a high beam I won’t be bothered, and he was appreciative that I stopped to help push some people out of snow and the light bar was very useful in that situation lol.

The people running them all the time with traffic around are infuriating.
73033119-491E-42D2-9D4F-A36D6FD20C67.jpeg

I really don't see anyone here with them using them on the street, although lots of people have them.

Extra lighting is nice off road - but the ones on the roof often glare off the hood making your vision worse. The light bars in the grill make a lot more sense.

My 18 yo son has them on his Lexus RX350....I get it...would have done the same probably. Most do not drive on the road with them but I've seen some that do and being in a car it's horrible.

I had a 60 GMC as a younger person. 4 headlights, I left the low beams alone and installed 100 watt aircraft landing lights in the high beam position. Years later the Peugeot 505 got the high beam headlights removed and replaced with hi/lo h4 housings. A little wiring and voila, much better lighting. 4 headlights on all high or all low.Those small sealed beams were inadequate

I am seeing a lot of pickup trucks in my area using them and blinding me. I wish they would clamp down on using them in traffic.

I am seeing a lot of pickup trucks in my area using them and blinding me. I wish they would clamp down on using them in traffic.
I hate it....I'm in a car lower to the ground and it's brutal. I'll stereotype...the Toyota Tacoma/4-Runner crew seem to be the worst offenders with the high intensity yellow fogs on 100% of the time...if I could handle the pentalty I'd love to get out at a stoplight with a baseball bat and smash them out. It's obnoxious.

Last edited:
I hate it....I'm in a car lower to the ground and it's brutal. I'll sterotype...the Toyota Tacoma/4-Runner crew seem to be the worst offenders with the high intensity yellow fogs on 100% of the time...if I could go handle the pentalty I'd love to get out at a stoplight with a baseball bat and smash them out. It's obnoxious.
Around here it's Ford F-whatevers. Probably have a set of balls hanging off their tail end.

Back