What is the limits when it comes to light bars?

I'm seeing more light bars around, not just the cheap farm store led bars, but KClite pro 6 bars, on top of the roofs and some down on the front bumpers.

My understanding is roof lights provide down the road and side illumination, while lights on the bumper are more for fogs and very far pencil beams.

So seeing trucks like Bronco's, with 22 auxiliary lights, what advantage does that give you? Once you have "daylight" conditions, I fail to see adding additional lights as an advantage?

Lot of these trucks running around. 🤡
image-1.jpg

Back in the day (1978) I put two 5" KC Daylighters on my Dodge 4X4. I left the yellow covers off knowing it illegal to do so. I didn't make two laps in town and got pulled over. I lied......said I forgot the covers. Policeman said go get the covers and show me. He kept my drivers license. Got covers on, showed him, got license back with a lecture. They were strict back then. These new LED light bars are insane. You can see them coming even on a curved hilly highway, they light up so much. Times change. Now you can lift your truck with no hassle, install huge light bars same.

In my state, two auxiliary lights no higher than the headlights. Headlight height is also codified, you get a little more with more GWVR but there's still a limit.

This is widely ignored, same as the decibel limit on harleys.

Those are still not legal at all to use on a road. Cops may not care so much about the cover rule any more but you're definitely in trouble if they are switched on.

I'm seeing more light bars around, not just the cheap farm store led bars, but KClite pro 6 bars, on top of the roofs and some down on the front bumpers.

My understanding is roof lights provide down the road and side illumination, while lights on the bumper are more for fogs and very far pencil beams.

So seeing trucks like Bronco's, with 22 auxiliary lights, what advantage does that give you? Once you have "daylight" conditions, I fail to see adding additional lights as an advantage?
Agreed.... Mostly for show along with a big wad of cash still burning a hole because they didn't spend enough on the new Magnaflow and K&N filter.

What will happen? Nothing. No cops around to enforce the codes/laws. Wild West out here....

A couple of 55w roof lights make a world of difference on deeply rutted trails or making camp under hard conditions. I greatly prefer halogen light here. Too many lumens gets hard to work with.

No such thing as too much light at night but I hope the enlightened don't use them on the street.

They use them all the time here.. 2 4 6 8 light bars sky is the limit.
Those roof ones are silly on a daily driver.
Truck has probably never seen a trail, you lose significant MPG from the wind resistance and some whistle on highway.

I actually want to put some aux lights on my Rav4 since my cabin is in the middle of nowhere with deer running around. I frequently drive late at night with little to no traffic around so having bright lights would be helpful.

Not enough drag with the tent, shovel, ramps that are never used, also need unnecessary light. Desert race trucks see a measurable increase in fuel use and decreased top speed with the huge roof light bars which is why they often take them off during the day.

im almost 17 and im putting lights on my truck, i have 2 6" led flood pods that im replacing the fog lights with. the original headlights are plenty bright but don't shine out to the sides at all, making it hard to see rocks on the side of the trail in the dark. I'll probably never use these lights because who offroads in the dark? also it's never foggy in central Arizona and my fog lights died long ago when I was hit by a idiot going 45 around a blind corner.

Yet most of us would have been putting them on our trucks when we were 18……
Lucky that most of us predate LED, lol.

(ok maybe not that old, but at least LED for this application.)

I could totally see my 16 year old self slapping a bar like this on my hooptie. Then again, as I drive around with dead headlights on my car, I’m tempted to today! really hate Ford trucks right now…

There's a LOT of things I'm glad I didn't have in my youth. Better off because of it and life was far less complicated.

Replacing a headlight was a no biggie... Today? One must remove half the front-end clip. o_O

In Virginia, nothing. You can drive around with red and blue lights flashing in your wheel wells, red foglights in the front, red, green, or blue halo headlights (just to name a few I've seen) and none of the cops who see this seem to give a crap.

In Virginia, nothing. You can drive around with red and blue lights flashing in your wheel wells, red foglights in the front, red, green, or blue halo headlights (just to name a few I've seen) and none of the cops who see this seem to give a crap.
Pretty much the same out here in AZ. Sound ordinances? Lights? Drag Racing? All good. There's so few cops on the road that I'm often on-top of accidents 10 mins before any responders arrive. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for personal freedom and expression... but... Why have "laws" that aren't enforced? Why have posted speed limits and zero enforcement? We've has so many accidents because of careless drivers....

Speaking of lighting.... How about those drivers that don't turn their lights on... period! We have a bunch of those also... nothing like coming-up on a guy in the left lane in a black car with no lights at 11Pm at night.... Good times.

Back