Blacked or "night" edition vehicles new fad?

Well, the blacked out thing is not new...been very popular for at least five years now. Actually I think, like anything else, it may be running it’s course and something else will come along.

Had a friend that went through the trouble of “blacking out” his 2014 Silverado...spent a good penny on it...front grill covers and rear bumper covers, along with rims and headlights. I think he probably spent $2,500, for what amounted to plastic covers. But it does look nice...and his thought process was...hey, it kept me from buying a new truck again.

The stormtrooper look is big too. I really like that, but again, that’s probably run it’s course a bit too.

I love the patina look on older cars with the clear on top of it. I’ve actually seen it on newer cars and it looks amazing. I highly doubt it will ever be mainstream enough where we’ll see it in production, but I bet they could really do some cool things with it if they ever did.

My wife loves it, her car is all black. I do agree on some cars it looks good... I swear this was a fad a while ago though and this is the second time around.. Maybe then it was people dipped their wheels or had them powder coated, tinted their windows and did it themselves.

Black editions go back MANY years (at least 40), and they seem to have always charged more for them. Toyota called them limited edition "Black Package" cars. The only difference between now and then is the black wheels, they used to use shiney alloy or chromed wheels back in the day. Personally, I liked that look better, I'm not fond of black wheels.

My "project" car was a Mercury Capri Black Magic, 1982. Now, it had some gold pinstriping, but the theme was of course a blacked out car. My two buddies owned coupes that were black with black trim and black interior, but alloy wheels, those cars were 1989 and 1990 IIRC. I believe you could also get a Monte Carlo the same way from GM, not sure about the Camaro though.

The black out/robo cop look has run it's course, needs to go away like Rap Crap.

I expect if survey'd, you'd find those that like this look are predominantly not those that listen to that genre of music.

I'd liken it more to heavy music, it's been around a very long time, there's a decent sized segment that thoroughly enjoys it (which is why Metallica, 5FDP, AC/DC...etc can still fill stadiums) and there are those, like yourself, who likely can't stand either of them :ROFLMAO:

My buddy/neighbor just bought a new 4Runner "Night Shade" edition - I dig it. It's effectively a limited just blacked out badges, black wheels, black-chrome trim, etc. Whatever floats your boat.

I really liked my 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab express model that was all blacked out. I never thought I'd like a black vehicle, but I found it so easy to touch up all the dings and scrapes it got from using it as a truck, from the kids bouncing off of it with bikes, and parking lot A-holz.

I have nothing against black cars, in fact my next vehicle, a Jaguar F Type may well be in Santorini Black color. But I think they need some bright accents, especially the wheels. Malo83's Corvette above looks great. Jaguar offers blacked out options on the body & trim for an extra $700 and $4185. Add another $1500 for the black wheels, brake calipers and lug nuts. I think it looks awful. Comparison shots below, For over $6000 I could upgrade the leather interior and add some other options.
Jag F 1 Santorini Black.JPG
Jag F 1 Santorini Black On Black.JPG

Last edited:
I have nothing against black cars, in fact my next vehicle, a Jaguar F Type may well be in Santorini Black color. But I think they need some bright accents, especially the wheels. Malo83's Corvette above looks great. Jaguar offers blacked out options on the body & trim for an extra $700 and $4185. Add another $1500 for the black wheels, brake calipers and lug nuts. I think it looks awful. Comparison shots below, For over $6000 I could upgrade the leather interior and add some other options. View attachment 26708View attachment 26710

I expect if survey'd, you'd find those that like this look are predominantly not those that listen to that genre of music.

I'd liken it more to heavy music, it's been around a very long time, there's a decent sized segment that thoroughly enjoys it (which is why Metallica, 5FDP, AC/DC...etc can still fill stadiums) and there are those, like yourself, who likely can't stand either of them :ROFLMAO:
Could have fooled me. ;)
d4934d22ac2f87223d3a70c7a5193ae3.jpg
p3107420796-4.jpg

The Grand National (1985?) was the first blackout out car I ever saw. Those cars are sexy as hell!

I have nothing against black cars, in fact my next vehicle, a Jaguar F Type may well be in Santorini Black color. But I think they need some bright accents, especially the wheels. Malo83's Corvette above looks great. Jaguar offers blacked out options on the body & trim for an extra $700 and $4185. Add another $1500 for the black wheels, brake calipers and lug nuts. I think it looks awful. Comparison shots below, For over $6000 I could upgrade the leather interior and add some other options. View attachment 26708View attachment 26710
Absolutely looks better with the bright wheels and bright window trim and vent. With everything all blacked out, all the details, just blend in. They disappear.

Back