Blacked or "night" edition vehicles new fad?

Black editions go back MANY years (at least 40), and they seem to have always charged more for them. Toyota called them limited edition "Black Package" cars. The only difference between now and then is the black wheels, they used to use shiney alloy or chromed wheels back in the day. Personally, I liked that look better, I'm not fond of black wheels.

Tuxedo black. It was born Cordovan maroon, then yellow, then blue. I fixed it.

Attachments

• 68_Vette back.jpg
    68_Vette back.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 19
If you live long enough, you get to see fads more than once.

Blacked out and monochromatic appearance schemes were a thing in the 80s.

Back then, it helped let people know that you paid a bunch of dough for a Mercedes, and even more dough to tart it up with AMG parts from a customizer like BHMA. Now, it's easy to just order AMG trims from the factory, it not AMG vehicles.

Another fad -- matte paint jobs. It used to mean that you got your project running, but ran out of money to get it painted and finished. Now, it's supposed to mean that you're forward thinking with a paint job that looks like primer, and must be treated extra special so it won't be damaged. ;)

What’s old is always new again. But I can’t wait for the clear coated primer gray paint fad to die. Even Toyota got in on it, and it looks just as bad FCA’s Destroyer Gray or Ford’s Stealth Gray.

Always been a fan of blacked out... For those saying they are hot, oh come on. That is why they are equipped with A/C. Never had an issue cooling my black cars when it's 90+ and humid as hell. Keeping clean? They do require more upkeep, but it's not that big of a deal. Learn to wash properly, avoid damaging your paint to begin with. Keep a microfiber and detailer spray handy for bird poo or any other issue (good idea with any car color). For black cars, california car dusters are amazing for pollen season. Quick and easy to use, no damage to the paint.

Black on black doesn't work for every car, though. But on some, it just looks so mean. I don't really care for the completely debadged, murdered out look usually. I like some accenting, whether it's badging (if not excessive), brake calipers (proper colored brembos) and other small accents.

Ordered my new Camaro in black, with black wheels and black lug nuts. Will be tinting the windows darker. Absolutely love the look. As much as I love the Camaro in some of the brighter color options, I don't particularly like the attention they would get from, uh, everyone. I'd rather blend in a bit more. Plus, black properly taken care of? Nothing better. As someone who got into detailing as a side hobby a bit, I have no problem keeping up with a black car. My 10+ Scion xB had better paint than most show-room cars I have seen, aside from the rock chips and normal wear and such. No swirls, immaculate. Until it got totaled....

camaro-final-4.jpg

I have red on black and love the look. The negative is it shows dirt quicker. Its all about aesthetics.

I dont like the massive chrome on the front end of trucks so a color matched look-- not necessarily "blacked out" looks much better IMO.

black wheels for my jeep were an $800 option vs regular gray ones.. that is mega rip off.. cant be much more than 10-20$ per wheel premium to make.

Not a fan of all black.. like the look. hate the maintence and heat.. yes its only ohio but we hit near 100 with high humidity in august for example.

Aftermarket blackouts on headlights and taillights.. hey its like putting on sunglasses at night and saying i cant see.. total idiots.

I ran into a truck with aftermarket taillights the other day... the brake light brightness was BARELY brighter than just running lights.. in fact other peoples running lights were brighter than his brake lights... its dangerous if you arent paying attention.

I am a huge fan of the color matched packages such as the Ram 1500 built to serve edition or north edition in Patriotic blue or ceramic gray.
really like the black grill instead of the super bling chrome look.

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_201116382_HDR(1).jpg
    IMG_20200730_201116382_HDR(1).jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 30
  • rotellastash.jpg
    rotellastash.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 27
Another area where blacked out has caught on is with motorcycle helmets. What a terrible mistake. I stupidly bought a matte black one a few years ago without thinking it through and hated every moment of owning that helmet.

First of all, not the best choice for riding in the summer. Absolutely cooked my head and you could feel the heat radiating off it at a traffic light.

But even worse was the way that bugs would splatter on it and get cooked in. And then they would leave behind a permanent blemish that couldn't be polished off because doing so would create a shiny spot. So after a while it just looked terrible and worse than its age.

Reactions: JC1
I find it to be a very unattractive affectation, especially on sports cars or sporty vehicles. Like another poster mentioned, it will be like the fad back in the '90's to make all the trim and logos on a car gold plated. It's not going to age well nor be looked upon with fond nostalgia like tail fins.

We have two motorcycles and one sportscar which are mostly black. Sure black is a lot of work to keep looking good, but IMO nothing looks better than a clean, shiny, black vehicle.

On the sportscar the wheels are black because they don't show the carbon/ceramic brake dust as much, the C/C rotors are black, the carbon fiber ground effect elements are black, the only thing not black is the leather lined interior.

The wife and I like our black vehicles, and we liked them before it might have been considered by some to be a fad.

Can't understand why anyone buys these in warmer areas, as we try hard enough to keep the heat away as-is. In colder climates.. makes sense to absorb all that extra heat in the winter.

Blacked out tail lights should be illegal though, even the kits that claim they are still DOT legal. WHY would you make it harder for people behind you to see that you're braking?! And why aren't insurance companies denying rear-ended claims on cars with these?
I put blackouts on my black 280Z's headlights. I think I took them off after my first night driving trying to see where I was going :p

Helped my son do the front grill of his JGC.

Attachments

• IMG_7900.jpg
    IMG_7900.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200724_121253.jpg
    20200724_121253.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 15
The fad I wish would go away are the "girl power" Jeeps. The angry eyebrow thing is just comedic,but I guess I kind've get it. "I'm a girl,I'm mean,I'm tough,I'm angry,grrrrrrrr!!!!". But now I'm seeing chicks driving around with the fenders removed. Exactly what statement are they trying to make by doing that? Aren't fenders sort've necessary?

Having lived later in life in rural Pennsylvania, and wondering why so many cars were black... A local told me many generations of mennonites in the area, and they only buy black vehicles. So when i see someone driving a blacked out vehicle, can't help but think ancestry.com would identify they have Mennonite genes....

I've never been a big fan of black cars. Now that I own two of them, I'm even less of a fan of black. What a bear to keep looking nice!!! A black car can be cleaned and shined, and look great. But within hours, the dust is already showing.

I will never own another black car. Especially when there are so many gorgeous car colors available these days.

Black is the official sporting colour of New Zealand - a black vehicle is patriotic for me. No black car at the moment, but a black motorcycle, and yes, a matt black helmet, black jacket. Black bicycle. You can touch up a back paint job with a sharpie.

Back