Current ugly trends

There was in an ad in Time or Newsweek not long after the new-style Dodge Rams (1994?) were introduced.

They made the point that the "Semi tractor" look had been a big hit, and compared it to the original plan, a refresh of the style shown above.

Typical of me, I preferred the style they had proposed but abandoned, to the "new look" trucks of '94.
I remember the sales commercials, comparing it to a big rig. All of them were nice looking, but today they look silly, like this:
1718576100018.jpeg

I miss chrome to help define asphalt gray cars. I think low profile tires on huge wheels are dumb. I miss vent windows and gas tanks I could siphon or drain, spin on oil filters and full size spares :cool:

I'll add the aerodynamic "whoosh" things on the backs of cute utes and SUVs.

They can't have a vertical slab for a liftgate, since that's ugly too. So they make these little pointy things. Start with a spoiler, finish with a bumper, but put a couple more in there too. It's to look aerodynamic or sporty, but it's overdone.

Screenshot from 2024-06-17 21-02-28.jpg
Screenshot from 2024-06-17 21-00-38.jpg

Ford got it right with the Mustang in ‘05, but then drifted away from retro. Not a fan of the current styling, but at least it continues with a V8.
I liked the body style of the '11-'14 models...looked more like the late 60s Mach 1s...

Because I think the front end of the Dodge is ugly? Lol!
And you think the Camaro (squashed Trailblazer) looks better than the Challenger. Weren't you also a huge fan of the Yaris?

Do you find yourself strangely attracted to the Aztec, Avalanche and Nissan Cube? Does the smell of a Toys-R-Us evoke unexpected excitement?

And you think the Camaro (squashed Trailblazer) looks better than the Challenger. Weren't you also a huge fan of the Yaris?

Do you find yourself strangely attracted to the Aztec, Avalanche and Nissan Cube? Does the smell of a Toys-R-Us evoke unexpected excitement?
It does. The Challenger looks like a brick...has the weight of one that size too. I was interested in the Yaris as an economical, reliable 2nd car, not because of its looks...

It does. The Challenger looks like a brick...has the weight of one that size too.
The Challenger looks fantastic; a proper homage to the car it was designed to look like, retro done right. The Camaro doesn't. Yes, the Camaro is lighter (~3800lbs vs ~4300lbs), but the 70's Charger was a bigger car than the F-body of the time too, so 🤷‍♂️

And, for some perspective, it's within the weight of one adult male of the BMW M5 (4,100lbs) and slightly lighter than the Mercedes C63 AMG at 4,300lbs on the button. It's not excessively heavy for a car of its size.
I was interested in the Yaris as an economical, reliable 2nd car, not because of its looks...
Oh come on, you think the Yaris is a looker ;)

The Challenger looks fantastic; a proper homage to the car it was designed to look like, retro done right. The Camaro doesn't. Yes, the Camaro is lighter (~3800lbs vs ~4300lbs), but the 70's Charger was a bigger car than the F-body of the time too, so 🤷‍♂️

And, for some perspective, it's within the weight of one adult male of the BMW M5 (4,100lbs) and slightly lighter than the Mercedes C63 AMG at 4,300lbs on the button. It's not excessively heavy for a car of its size.

Oh come on, you think the Yaris is a looker ;)
That's your opinion, not mine. I think 3 of the 4 current muscle cars are ugly, the Challenger, the Charger, and the Rustang. The Camaro is beautiful...I'm guessing YOU aren't accused of having a discerning eye very often...you probably like the looks of the C8 too...:sick:

The late Challenger was the most successful retro pony car to my eye, being a pretty faithful update of the original car, right down to the somewhat silly "Fuel" cap.
Whether we're talking about the recent Mustang, Camaro or Challenger, all of these cars are quite overweight as compared to the originals, but then so is everything else.

Hey now. At least in the GMT900 years, I thought the Avalanche was a fairly handsome, timeless design. A far cry from Aztec and Cube ugliness.

But otherwise, yeah. I want to like the Camaro for it's specs, but then I see one in the wild and I'm over it.

1718800666428.jpg

That's your opinion, not mine.
Yes, mine and that of several others in this thread, I think you might be the odd man out :unsure:
I think 3 of the 4 current muscle cars are ugly, the Challenger, the Charger, and the Rustang. The Camaro is beautiful...I'm guessing YOU aren't accused of having a discerning eye very often.
I am on occasion actually, lol.
..you probably like the looks of the C8 too...:sick:
Wouldn't use the word "like". It looks like the head of a praying mantis, but it does look "Super Car"-ish, which is what I think GM was going for.

The best looking Camaro was the first gen:
1718800623887.jpg

Which of course the current car looks absolutely nothing like.

This is quite unlike the Challenger throwback:
1718800811878.jpg

1718800868842.jpg

Hey now. At least in the GMT900 years, I thought the Avalanche was a fairly handsome, timeless design. A far cry from Aztec and Cube ugliness.

But otherwise, yeah. I want to like the Camaro for it's specs, but then I see one in the wild and I'm over it.

View attachment 225806
I was thinking the Fisher-Price first gen Avalanche:
1718801047498.jpg

Yes, mine and that of several others in this thread, I think you might be the odd man out :unsure:

I am on occasion actually, lol.

Wouldn't use the word "like". It looks like the head of a praying mantis, but it does look "Super Car"-ish, which is what I think GM was going for.

The best looking Camaro was the first gen:
View attachment 225805

Which of course the current car looks absolutely nothing like.

This is quite unlike the Challenger throwback:
View attachment 225807
View attachment 225808
Modern Challenger looks far better than the other modern muscle car iterations in my eyes also, including the Camaro. Camaro has too much trim and plastic on its front end to compete aesthetically with the clean look of the challenger.

Back