Black is the silliest car color - prove me wrong

It may be silly IYO but people still like it. In Arizona the most popular car color is white, the second most popular is black. Lots of silly people here.

I just bought a silly black Jeep. Sometimes buying used you buy the condition and the color comes with it.

hey, lots of people walk around in cheap, $10 plastic shoes from Walmart. Ditto for having 2 pizzas for dinner. Doesn't make it adequate or prudent though

Silly.
68 Vette Shiny Side.jpg

black cars suck. if you want a nice dark color on your car get dark blue. i have a black car with black interior and i can confirm that in the summer it is hotter than a neutron star. i don't wash the car because it looks better covered in mud, the mud hides the peeling paint.
Yup..but us dudes in the cold states, that black keeps us toasty in the winter.

The color I am most likely to delete in a vehicle search is black. It is hot here, and I don't care for the way they look beyond prepped photo shoots. Comments about obscuring good vehicle lines are spot on as well. Add black wheels and just blech!

I was not keen on VW white after about a year of ownership, but then discovered the random spots I'd accumulated cleaned easily with a micro fiber and Pepsodent toothpaste. And it comes only second to silver in not needing to be frequently washed.

The color I am most likely to delete in a vehicle search is black. It is hot here, and I don't care for the way they look beyond prepped photo shoots. Comments about obscuring good vehicle lines are spot on as well. Add black wheels and just blech!

I was not keen on VW white after about a year of ownership, but then discovered the random spots I'd accumulated cleaned easily with a micro fiber and Pepsodent toothpaste. And it comes only second to silver in not needing to be frequently washed.
Yeah silver is the bomb but it now bores me...Black wheels don't bother me but they look bad quickly and the brake dust looks like rust on them.

Not to be a contrarian but Black is not a color, it is actually the absence of all color. And dont get me started on paying extra for Blacked out cars or motorcycles after a lifetime of paying extra for chrome accents.
That said the only time I have ever stopped to look at a Black vehicle is if it has been set off with some chrome or color trim that highlights its shape and when looking for a car Black is the first non color I eliminate.

I'm a sedan guy and two of the best looking on the planet (VW Arteon and Alfa Romeo Giulia) are both underwhelming in black. Case closed. :p

On the other hand from what I've seen virtually everything wearing the BMW badge MUST be black. MB is not far behind. Have not figured that one out yet.

I will never own a black car. Its way harder to keep clean, shows every little defect, and is super hot in the summer. To each his own.

I'm a sedan guy and two of the best looking on the planet (VW Arteon and Alfa Romeo Giulia) are both underwhelming in black. Case closed. :p

On the other hand from what I've seen virtually everything wearing the BMW badge MUST be black. MB is not far behind. Have not figured that one out yet.
Wow dude....are you nuts..😁😁😍

20220610_192118(1).jpg
20220430_195927_HDR.jpg

So. I get that when super clean and under certain angle black can look superb. But. Under most conditions, a black car looks like a black hole, void, or a blob

Black hides all of the lines/complex stamping and turns a cars silhouette into a said black blob, hole, void.

Just the other day I saw a new(er) Audi RS6 Avant - $122k starting price - on the freeway. I could tell it was something serious from afar, but because the car was black and tinted I could only make out what it is, and kind of, sort of see it’s nice curves, complex stampings only when I got up close. Even then barely. It was just a big black blob…

Then, half an hour later I saw the same car but in lighter color, and what a difference it makes. Like a beautiful woman in a form fitting cocktail dress, or sportswear instead of wearing russian grandma style THICK fleece jacket that hides everything.

I have observed the same effect with other cars too. Black just sucks on good looking cars, as it makes them …. Well, you already know what I think.

So, although owners of black cars might think they look sharp driving a black car, with tinted windows and black wheels (worst case scenario) in reality they are invisible to others the way a black hole is.

Why buy a good looking car and then negate its looks by choosing it in black?

P.S. “your money your choice” blah-blah-blah. I’m not saying you are not allowed to own a black car, I merely question adequacy of such a decision on a good looking cars
I completely agree

The color I am most likely to delete in a vehicle search is black. It is hot here, and I don't care for the way they look beyond prepped photo shoots. Comments about obscuring good vehicle lines are spot on as well. Add black wheels and just blech! . . .

Agreed. But it is hard. Try searching for a luxury European car on a site like Autotrader, if you don't want a black car. I would guess that well over a third are black. And another third are silver. That leaves only a small share for everything else.

Not to be a contrarian but Black is not a color, it is actually the absence of all color. And dont get me started on paying extra for Blacked out cars or motorcycles after a lifetime of paying extra for chrome accents.
That said the only time I have ever stopped to look at a Black vehicle is if it has been set off with some chrome or color trim that highlights its shape and when looking for a car Black is the first non color I eliminate.

Spot on. But of course, black cars really aren't totally black. They all have some color to them. But I agree with you.

My gripe with black cars is the high maintenance required to keep them looking good. And the return on investment (labor to clean and shine) isn't enough. they just don't look good enough. There are so many other dark colors that look much nicer than black. Both of the cars in my signature line are black. These are my first, and most likely my last black cars. For me to buy another black car, it would have to check all the other boxes, and be just too nice to pass up.

When people go all out in blacking out a car, it does absolutely nothing for me. Don't waste your breath telling me how awesome they look. I'll walk right by a blacked out car at a car show.

I had a 2017 Ford Escape SE in black. The car looked darned good, when clean. It showed dirt more than any other color. In summer, it was like an oven inside. The only reason I bought it was the 2.0 Ecoboost engine. I did not want the 1.5 Ecoboost with the oil bath timing belt.
I probably won’t buy another black vehicle.

Back