Big train derailment in East Palestine OH

No one likes it, but what's the alternative to transporting the chemicals we need? Over the road tanker trucks? Under/over ground pipelines? None of them area great and probably less safe. I know everyone is trying to hang on to a buck, but there's no excuses for rail companies given what they charge these days.

I know occidental chemical, which was a feedstock supplier to my employer went out of business because of rail costs. It got to the point they lost money on every bleach and chlorine rail car they shipped out because of rail costs.

No one likes it, but what's the alternative to transporting the chemicals we need? Over the road tanker trucks? Under/over ground pipelines? None of them area great and probably less safe. I know everyone is trying to hang on to a buck, but there's no excuses for rail companies given what they charge these days.

I know occidental chemical, which was a feedstock supplier to my employer went out of business because of rail costs. It got to the point they lost money on every bleach and chlorine rail car they shipped out because of rail costs.
So we should just hand wave this away as a necessary evil?

And by the time everyone has cancer, people will have forgotten where it came from.

We're still fighting Chemours (Dupont) in my area.
Every time we drive through WV on the way to MB, you see all those chemical plants along the Kanawha River.... I can't imagine that river 40+ years ago. Where I grew up, there was a chemical plant with a river across the road and it was common knowledge (not to mention advised by state agencies) to NOT eat fish caught in that river downstream of that plant.

So we should just hand wave this away as a necessary evil?
No I think we should run it through your yard. :rolleyes: I'm kidding

As I said, no excuses for the railroad companies given what they charge chemical companies to ship their products.

This is being suggested as one of the worst ecological environmental disasters in US history. The jury is still out on that but it's very bad. Toxic poisons burned into the air and dumped into the ground water and rivers and tributaries going hundreds of miles in all directions. Chemicals which are lethal, and some used in WW1 as (now banned) weaponized gases. Deaths of wildlife, livestock, and pets are widely reported.

Of course news blackouts on these topics. Many of my friends didn't even KNOW about this. Not on news home-pages. It's interesting to peel back the agendas and see what is "important."

Very concerned , might have to uproot and flee. Property values are going to plummet. I would be very cautious about being in this 10-state radius and consuming food and beverages from here for the foreseeable future.

This is very very bad.

Poisons in the air. Unseen poisons leaked into the ground water and rivers and lakes.

Fo3RXp4aEAECfcB
Fo3RYeyagAA5rtC
Fo3RZ4BaQAAN7ki

Fo3U77iaIAAGTBm

Of course news blackouts on these topics. Many of my friends didn't even KNOW about this. Not on news home-pages. It's interesting to peel back the agendas and see what is "important."
False.... At least two local TV stations (to me), 250 miles away have stories about this on their websites (not buried either). One of those has no mention of "balloons" on their main page either.... Cincinnati and Columbus stations have stories on their website's front-page as well.

Reactions: JTK
I should add, I remember seeing a headline blurb on Friday about a train derailment somewhere in Ohio. I had no idea where East Palestine is but didn't give it much thought afterwards. Not until 2-3 days later (Sun-Mon) when I saw news reports talking about the governor ordering residents nearby to evacuate did I pay more attention. So all of Friday evening and Saturday, it was pretty a non-event. The railroad company knew what they were carrying as well as which cars were burning too ! 😳

Reactions: JTK
False....
Local news, sure. But go look for yourself on national news.

It's not prominently on CNN home page nor the US page

1 Tiny article under "health news" on NBC

Low on the page on Fox where it appears twice is a health issue and a politics article.
foxnews.com

The point being, this should be prominetenly being discussed nationwide but instead it's a buried story.

I should add, I remember seeing a headline blurb on Friday about a train derailment somewhere in Ohio. I had no idea where East Palestine is but didn't give it much thought afterwards. Not until 2-3 days later (Sun-Mon) when I saw news reports talking about the governor ordering residents nearby to evacuate did I pay more attention. So all of Friday evening and Saturday, it was pretty a non-event. The railroad company knew what they were carrying as well as which cars were burning too ! 😳
That's my point. It's a buried story. This is extremely serious.

Already have GenX in the groundwater thanks

This small city has already become a toxic, cancerous Superfund site and everyone must leave.

Reminds me of Love Canal in Niagara Falls, NY. Different circumstances but you get the picture of toxic chemicals in the ground soil and water.

Last edited:
This small city has already become a toxic, cancerous Superfund site and everyone must leave.

Reminds me of the Love Canal in Niagara Falls, NY. Different circumstances but you get the picture of toxic chemicals in the ground soil and water.

The stratospheric levels of greed, incompetence, and irresponsibility make me so furious. Yes, this could very well be another major superfund site, causing decades of health problems, injuries, birth defects, pain, suffering, and premature deaths for Americans, pets, wildlife, and livestock in the area and to anyone nationwide consuming products from the region. The Ohio basin feeds waterways that go in all directions hundreds of miles.

Words cannot describe it. I feel so badly for those in the immediate area. Their health is at risk, and their property values probably near zero today. Who is going to buy property within close proximity there, now?

Everyone does.

That environmental disasters are STILL swept under the rug is appalling. The chemicals from this accident are in the Ohio river. Fish are dying.

How many people get their water from the Ohio?

Very sad and disgraceful authorities have been telling residents of the area around East Palestine, Ohio, that it is safe to return home.

How far is Ohio River from the crash site ?

Anybody know the exact GPS location of crash site…. or nearby landmarks on Google Maps ?

Back