Big train derailment in East Palestine OH

nothingtoseehere.jpg
seenothingatall.jpg

Anybody know the exact GPS location of crash site…. or nearby landmarks on Google Maps ?
Wikipedia has those details - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Ohio_train_derailment

GPS location on Google Maps - https://www.google.com/maps/place/40°50'09.6"N+80°31'21.7"W/@40.836,-80.5227,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xb886f854431c99a0!8m2!3d40.836!4d-80.5227?hl=en

It looks like it's ~15 miles from East Palestine to the river. The drinking water folks in Cincinnati, which is probably close to 300 miles away, are checking the river to see if anything shows up. Louisville is doing the same...

Last edited:
After being on the local fire department for 11 years this incident is mind blowing to me. I have two hazmat certifications that took weeks of sitting in classes to get. I don't ever remember being told that the way to handle this type of situation is to release the product and burn it off. That's just insanity. Everything we are taught is containment and mitigation not release and make a bigger problem. If they were worried about the tank cars creating a BLEVE situation they should have been cooling them with lots of water.

After being on the local fire department for 11 years this incident is mind blowing to me. I have two hazmat certifications that took weeks of sitting in classes to get. I don't ever remember being told that the way to handle this type of situation is to release the product and burn it off. That's just insanity. Everything we are taught is containment and mitigation not release and make a bigger problem. If they were worried about the tank cars creating a BLEVE situation they should have been cooling them with lots of water.
I *think* they tried to prevent the dozens of others train cars they wanted to prevent from explosion by releasing the leaking ones, burning off, and smaller controlled explosions?

I don't really know. Not sure why they cannot transfer it. I'm not an expert. Just very frustrated.

That is exactly what I thought. I have had some hazmat training and some transportation of hazardous material training - and I don't ever remember anyone saying lighting stuff on fire is a good idea I get the impression that everyone in charge is so far over their head there making it up on the fly. That, or they just don't have the resources they need.

I *think* they tried to prevent the dozens of others train cars they wanted to prevent from explosion by releasing the leaking ones, burning off, and smaller controlled explosions?

I don't really know. Not sure why they cannot transfer it. I'm not an expert. Just very frustrated.
Had they applied water to the rest of the tank cars they wouldn't have exploded. The fact that they didn't let loose the night of the crash says to me that they probably were not going to. The fire the night of the crash was far worse than what they were showing Sunday before they released the product. Having watched the drone footage it looked to me like there was just a few spot fires that could have easily been controlled and extinguished instead of what they did.

The stratospheric levels of greed, incompetence, and irresponsibility make me so furious. Yes, this could very well be another major superfund site, causing decades of health problems, injuries, birth defects, pain, suffering, and premature deaths for Americans, pets, wildlife, and livestock in the area and to anyone nationwide consuming products from the region. The Ohio basin feeds waterways that go in all directions hundreds of miles.

Words cannot describe it. I feel so badly for those in the immediate area. Their health is at risk, and their property values probably near zero today. Who is going to buy property within close proximity there, now?
Agreed 100%. They’ll probably only give the railroad the equivalent to a slap on the wrist and a stern “don’t do that again!”

If you get drinking water from the Ohio river, or a river supplied by the Ohio don’t drink it. What is that, 20% of of the nation? Yes that means folks in Arkansas. Drink bottled water. Then again the accident was 11 days ago. How many days does it take for water to flow from the loss site down to all the states fed downstream? A couple weeks? I wouldn’t eat local produce or meat - for a while. Ignore the mantra that “everything is fine” like they told the firefighters at ground zero on 911. Cancer rates will certainly increase maybe not for years. The fact the authorities told folks to return to their homes tells you everything you need to know…

Last edited:

Unfortunately this derailment happened in a very small town and some idiot gave the OK to release and burn these toxic chemicals.

Small town USA is not important to the EPA and other agencies in charge.

Like I said before, they need to bulldoze this city and relocate residents away from this Superfund site.

When I was railroading back in the late seventies I was the rear brakeman riding in the caboose. My job was to stay awake and observe a sometimes 100 car length train from the rear looking for stuck hand brakes, overheating wheel bearings and the like. There was a brake pipe in the caboose that permitted the rear brakeman to slow and stop the entire train from the rear. Rear brakemen have been eliminated, replaced with trackside heat sensors. Investigators can examine the track bed and ties to see if a broken axle was dragged a considerable length. I wonder why the sensors didn’t pick that up. Dragging wheels create flat spots the heat up pretty quick.

Back