BIG mid-sized SUV knowledge

I have fit adults in the 3rd row before. After moving the 2nd row forward a bit for leg room.

The Atlas CS with the 40.3 cu ft behind the 2nd row, folded is only 77.8 cu ft. Maybe your math says it's larger than 48.5 cu ft with the 3rd row down & 83.4 cu ft on the Highlander with all the rows folded.
I don’t know how Toyota calculates their trunk, but according to them, trunk in HL is same size as trunk in Armada. Anyone who opened trunk in HL knows it is small, it is super small for that segment. True, it works for a lot of people, but, if cargo volume is priority, HL is small. Toyota is introducing GHL for a reason.
Now my wife is 5ft, and she said absolutely no when we were checking HL, precisely bcs. Space in trunk and how she felt seating in 3rd row.

CS is big. It has more space in second row (dramatically), it is wider. Not sure actually about trunk. I drove it twice when they got out with 2.0T and 4Motion just to check drivetrain. IMO, vehicle is in that grey territory where it might appeal to some people, might.

The vehicle that is comparable to Atlas will be GHL.

I don’t know how Toyota calculates their trunk, but according to them, trunk in HL is same size as trunk in Armada. Anyone who opened trunk in HL knows it is small, it is super small for that segment. True, it works for a lot of people, but, if cargo volume is priority, HL is small. Toyota is introducing GHL for a reason.
Now my wife is 5ft, and she said absolutely no when we were checking HL, precisely bcs. Space in trunk and how she felt seating in 3rd row.

CS is big. It has more space in second row (dramatically), it is wider. Not sure actually about trunk. I drove it twice when they got out with 2.0T and 4Motion just to check drivetrain. IMO, vehicle is in that grey territory where it might appeal to some people, might.

The vehicle that is comparable to Atlas will be GHL.
We are thinking of going to drive a Sienna or Highlander soon to see how the n/a 4 cylinder hybrid power train feels. See if it feels like a struggle or if it’s adequate. Weight of a grand highlander is probably similar to a Sienna, so may be a good enough comparison. The grand highlander is what we’d ideally like to have, but that’s just based on seeing it online. The max hybrid is going to be too $$ for what we’re willing to spend on this car. It’d be between the turbo 4 and the n/a 4 hybrid.

The whole VW thing, as much as they don’t seem like a pain to work on, and seem to drive and hold up well (after driving the new ones and finding a 30k mile 4 year old one to drive). But the potential repairs just worry me. There seems to be more griping online as far as VW goes with expensive repairs, and not that we have first hand experience with VW, but many people we know swore off VW after their first out of warranty repairs as they always seem so costly. I want to like them, but it’s hard to not have that worry in the back of our minds.

We are thinking of going to drive a Sienna or Highlander soon to see how the n/a 4 cylinder hybrid power train feels. See if it feels like a struggle or if it’s adequate. Weight of a grand highlander is probably similar to a Sienna, so may be a good enough comparison. The grand highlander is what we’d ideally like to have, but that’s just based on seeing it online. The max hybrid is going to be too $$ for what we’re willing to spend on this car. It’d be between the turbo 4 and the n/a 4 hybrid.

The whole VW thing, as much as they don’t seem like a pain to work on, and seem to drive and hold up well (after driving the new ones and finding a 30k mile 4 year old one to drive). But the potential repairs just worry me. There seems to be more griping online as far as VW goes with expensive repairs, and not that we have first hand experience with VW, but many people we know swore off VW after their first out of warranty repairs as they always seem so costly. I want to like them, but it’s hard to not have that worry in the back of our minds.
We like our VW. However, the nearest servicing dealers are 70 and 90 miles away. That’s something I should have considered, before getting the VW. Traveling those distances for warranty or maintenance work is a pain. If and when we decide to trade, we will likely go with a GM, Ford, or Toyota. All three dealerships are much closer. I’ve been looking around. The GMC Acadia, Ford Explorer, Chevy Blazer, and Toyota Highlander are my short list.

Ask this:
What is “market adjustment?” Toyota has big issues with supply chain and labor. So in December, wait time for Sienna was 12 mos. Some dealerships wanted $5k over MSRP. I think it changed, but check.

Last edited:
Ask this:
What is “market adjustment?” Toyota has big issues with supply chain and labor. So in December, wait time for Sienna was 12 mos. Some dealerships wanted $5k over MSRP. I think it changed, but check.
I live about two miles from a Toyota dealership and agree. The Sienna is hard to find on their lots.

Ask this:
Just was going to drive Sienna to have a gauge to what a grand highlander would drive like (power wise). Since we didn’t like the 4cylinder Atlas, idk if a 4cylinder hybrid grand highlander would cut it. I need to see if the turbo 4 they’ll use is available now to drive (in another model) as well. This is just for a guesstimate as to if we’d be willing to wait for a grand Highlander, not to buy a Sienna. Wife is completely anti-van.

We did already call our closest dealer to ask about the grand highlander. All they said is there is a list, and they will establish their “adjustment” based on how many grand Highlander’s they receive.

Where I used to work is a no mark up shop, one of the largest dealers around, but seems to not get nearly as many vehicles allocated as these other big dealers.

Just was going to drive Sienna to have a gauge to what a grand highlander would drive like (power wise). Since we didn’t like the 4cylinder Atlas, idk if a 4cylinder hybrid grand highlander would cut it. I need to see if the turbo 4 they’ll use is available now to drive (in another model) as well. This is just for a guesstimate as to if we’d be willing to wait for a grand Highlander, not to buy a Sienna. Wife is completely anti-van.

We did already call our closest dealer to ask about the grand highlander. All they said is there is a list, and they will establish their “adjustment” based on how many grand Highlander’s they receive.

Where I used to work is a no mark up shop, one of the largest dealers around, but seems to not get nearly as many vehicles allocated as these other big dealers.
HL turbo is stronger. It is 310lb-ft. Pay attention on transmission programming. It is same transmission as in Atlas, but Toyota usually doesn’t set it up as aggressive.
In turbo you will have turbo lag. Those is not BMW inline six turbo engine.
One of the reasons I didn’t want to wait GHL is that there will be market adjustment. IMO, they are not worth MSRP, then add adjustment. No way.

HL turbo is stronger. It is 310lb-ft. Pay attention on transmission programming. It is same transmission as in Atlas, but Toyota usually doesn’t set it up as aggressive.
In turbo you will have turbo lag. Those is not BMW inline six turbo engine.
One of the reasons I didn’t want to wait GHL is that there will be market adjustment. IMO, they are not worth MSRP, then add adjustment. No way.
I can definitely get it at msrp, I just don’t see how the projected msrp could be accurate. They seem to be in line with the regular Highlander. I assume they’re going to have to be a couple few grand over a regular Highlander.

I can definitely get it at msrp, I just don’t see how the projected msrp could be accurate. They seem to be in line with the regular Highlander. I assume they’re going to have to be a couple few grand over a regular Highlander.
It is going to be a bit up. But, Toyota still struggles with supply chain and labor issues. If they can’t supply enough of them, expect XLE out os door above $50k.
People were paying $20k over MSRP for Sequoia, with those noisy seats I posted.
So, make sure you ask how is it going with vehicle supply, market adjustment etc.

We have a 2018 Nissan Armada. I was trying to steer my wife towards the Pilot, but no luck.

Issues
- Replaced the Brake Switch 3 times, knock on wood, we haven't had problems with that in a while. Easy to replace, but a pain.
-People report issues with the "Smart Alternator". I haven't had issues, but disconnected mine
-Low washer fluid sensor does not like RainX in the reservoir.
-Infotainment system is old in the 18 models, no Apple Carplay
-Horrible gas mileage, I can get 18 hwy
-Paint chips here and there
-Some have had short block replaced for #7 Cylinder issue

Michelin Defenders made it so smooth, it kills the two Tahoes I have been in
Cross Country trips have been really nice

Overall, it's been a good vehicle so far. QX80, similar model is tuned for premium gas.

Never thought I’d say this, but with the arrival of our 3rd kid last month (we now have 3 kids under 3 years old), we’re considering getting an Odyssey.

Sienna is a no-go (impressive MPG but don’t want 4-banger hybrid/CVT).

With the 3.5/10-speed combo, Odyssey acceleration is close to what sports sedans were a few years ago (VTEC.

The 10 speed auto has been out since 2021MY, so hopefully any bugs have been addressed.

Last edited:
Never thought I’d say this, but with the arrival of our 3rd kid last month (we now have 3 kids under 3 years old), we’re considering getting an Odyssey.

With the 3.5/10-speed combo, Odyssey acceleration is close to what sports sedans were a few years ago (VTEC.

The 10 speed auto has been out since 2021MY, so hopefully any bugs have been addressed.
Three kids under 3? Do not think of anything but a minivan!

Sir you were supposed to learn from me not follow in my footsteps! Though we had 2 under 2, a 4 year gap, then 2 under 2.

Just get the van though. It really does make life easier especially once the older kid(s) can buckle themselves.

Those were good years. My first minivan (as a dad) had bench seats. But the second.. man I found one with captains chairs… a Gen iv town and country. Every seat in that thing was great. There seemed something rather “American” about rolling around in a slightly beat up blue chrysler minivan, like a rite of passage. True usable space. And then when they have friends, a couple more need a ride? No problem.

both of mine learned to drive in it, and riding shotgun while they had their permit, it was good for that too. Plenty of visibility, and I wasn’t concern if they dinged It up some.

minivan is also a great platform for stereo upgrades. Mine had a triple gauge pack on the dash with volts, oil pressure and AT temp. Because. And that was awesome. Old skool.

Back