BFG Advantage T/A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking for an a/s replacement for our 2005 Altima's oem Continental Touring Contact A/S (only 34k miles on them!). I'm looking for an all around good tire for northeast winters (snow/wet traction) with low noise, not too stiff and decent wear (~50-60k). I have narrowed it down to the following:
Yokohama TouringS (or maybe TRZ)
General Altimax RT (HP has lower life rating and I'd like to go non-directional if I can)

However, I saw the BFG Advantage T/A is new on Tirerack. I can't find any reviews or tests for this new tire. Anyone know anything about it? Should I stay away from a brand new tire? My wife wants to stick with mainstream brand names so I think Yokohama is out
frown.gif

Also, how can I determine when a tire was manufactured?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: CVette
My wife wants to stick with mainstream brand names so I think Yokohama is out
frown.gif

Also, how can I determine when a tire was manufactured?

Thanks.

if yokohama isn't mainstream, I don't know what is. of course, she may be one of those people who think 'tire'is spelled g-o-o-d-y-e-a-r.
there are a lot of good tires out there; I've used kumho, michelin, bridgestone, continental, etc w/ success. the only tires I don't like are OEM; they universally s u c k.

Manufacture date is stamped on the side of every tire. 4 digits, WWYY. Use google images "tire dates" or just look at some tires. Sometimes it's only on one side, and murphy will have it that its on the inside...

Yokohama is a big tire name, more respected than General for sure.

Those advantage t/a's intrigue me, even though I've never owned or really liked BFG. 560 UTQG is pretty solid. If they show up at Sams Club by next fall I might be your guinea pig.

I think you'll find the forum likes the Kumho KR21's, Pirelli 4 seasons, those Generals, and the Yoko TRZ's.

Only 34k on the conti touring contacts? I guess I can't interest you in the contiprocontacts then, which I liked.

TAs are good..I've seen them hold up pretty well...

They have held up well on my friend's beater Malibu..

I'm considering either TAs or Cooper CS4s for replacement on my Cav....

mpvue, I know what you mean. I think they are mainstream but sometimes you are more comfortable with what you know, and it's her car. We'll see if I can convince her because I've read both the Touring S and the TRZ are great tires...hardly any bad reviews (aside from the limited cracking issue).

Drew, I agree but I think as a result of less tread wear (off the top of my head...not sure). I looked at the P4s but I've read they provide a harsh ride and there were a few bad snow reviews. Of course, every tire will have at least some bad reviews.

astraelraen, I looked at both the TripleTred and ComforTred. I think the Triple would be too noisy and the Comfort may be too soft and squishy.

bepperb, thanks for the date info. I saw the contiprocontact but am leary, as you can imagine. Not sure why we only got 34k...a relative has the same car bought 5 months earlier, drives the same roads and already has 47k on his. Not sure why, we don't drive aggressively.

Anyway, I spoke to a Tire Warehouse in town. He made a point that made a lot of sense. Once you find a tire that works with your car, stick with it. So I started to think about all the variables, and no wonder there are almost always good and bad reviews for each tire. Aside from the wide range of suspension setups and tire sizes (ratios) that will impact the feel of a tire, each driver will have a seperate set of expectations and wants. So the TireRack test results are really good for relative differences between tires but I imagine they really shouldn't be used as an absolute of how the tire would be on your own car.

I contacted TireRack and they plan to test the BFG Advantage some time this summer.

Thanks everyone!

We tried the TRZs. There was a humming at highway speed that I was not comfortable with and had attributed to the tires since it was not there when I brought it in with the old OEM tires. Yokohama has a great return policy. I used it for a full refund (including mount and balance!).

After some debate, we've installed the BFG Advantage TAs on the Altima. They are a good looking tire. Road noise seems average to me. We'll see how well they wear and handle in the wet and snow. The H rating helps the sidewall stiffness and there seems to be less sway as they feel more planted compared to the T rated TRZs.

Unfortunately, the singing noise is still there so I probably tossed the TRZs for nothing. At least I know it's not the tires. I hope it's not a wheel bearing after only 34k miles - we'll keep our ears peeled for the next few hundred miles.

I'll report more on the Advantage as we put more miles on them.

I didn't see this thread in time...would have suggested looking at the BFG Traction T/A if snow traction is important along with all-season performance.

Thanks STS. I did have the Traction TAs on my list but a few reported them as noisy and they just look noisy to me. So we went with the Advantage over the Traction.

After some debate, we've installed the BFG Advantage TAs on the Altima. They are a good looking tire. Road noise seems average to me.

Any updates on the Advantage T/A tire? How do you like them?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
After some debate, we've installed the BFG Advantage TAs on the Altima. They are a good looking tire. Road noise seems average to me.

Any updates on the Advantage T/A tire? How do you like them?

+1

I've been running B.F.Goodrich Advantage T/As on a Hyundai Sonota for the last 8,000 miles.
They are 215/60-VR16. For the first few hundred miles they were a little louder than the tires they replaced then they quieted down and now are one of the quietest tires I used. They balanced with very little weight and never had any problem with shake or shimmey. They do flat spot a little if run at high speed in the summer heat then parked overnight in a cool garage. The flat spotting always goes away within a few miles of driving. The dry cornering grip is very good and I don't think I've ever broken them loose in a turn. They are a pleasure to use on the interstate because they track well and ride very smooth. The steering response could be a little better but I guess thats the trade off for the smooth ride. In the rain they really shine because they cut through standing water puddles and never hydoplane. I live in western PA and the past few weeks of cold and snow gave me the first chance to try out their winter traction. Well, they seem about the same as all the all-season tires I've used in the snow. I just can't get excited about all-seasons in the snow and use my Subaru with winter tires if the roads are really bad. After 8,000 miles I don't see any wear so they should last a long time. I like them and would buy them again. Thanking for reading my review.

Originally Posted By: astraelraen
Goodyear TripleTred tires are excellent A/S tires, but they can be pricey depending on size.

X2 top notch tire, great winter traction (for an all-season) worth the price of admission.
BFG forever lost my patronage after running a set of Traction T/A's on two different cars.

Thanks STS. I did have the Traction TAs on my list but a few reported them as noisy and they just look noisy to me. So we went with the Advantage over the Traction.

I have never had a problem with noise with my Traction T/As and neither have I had a problem with traction

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

I have never had a problem with noise with my Traction T/As
+1 I'm liking my Traction T/A's and they aren't noisy in the least on my 03 Altima. Smooth running tire, no issues.

i install a set of BF goodrich traction t/a to my lexus es300. no noise at all, handling and breaking also good. only the things is tires made from east Europe.i bought from onlinetires.com $258 for set but you have to be patient with their customer service.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

I have never had a problem with noise with my Traction T/As and neither have I had a problem with traction

Same here. I have them on my 3 and Taurus. Great tire, low noise, pretty darn good traction in the snow also. Mileage hasn't suffered either.

People with traction T/A: Wait with your opinion before you put some serious miles on them. Mine were great before 18,000 miles. After that, noise quickly escalated to unbearable range. The tread is almost shot at 40,000 miles and this is great news as I'm looking forward to tires that do not howl for a change.

Traction was and still is awesome.

And BTW, I lost 3-5% on fuel efficiency over the factory LRR tires ($100-200 over the life of the tires, count it a hidden cost).

Now this is for H-rated ones. T-rated could be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back