Another All Season Tire Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jennings
I now have 7000 miles on a set of Bridgestone Pole Position 960 all season. Great handling, fairly quiet and great on ice and snow. Take that last bit with a grain of salt as I have a Subaru. But seriously, snow traction hugely improved over factory tires. Not cheap, but...

Don't know how you stood those Contis for 34K. I threw the ones on my 2002 Altima away at 18K. They were miserable tires. No traction on wet pavement or snow. I drive a Taurus that has them, too, same story. On wet pavement, they feel like marbles of rubber are coming off the tread. Just awful.

I always hear bad things about the Conti's...but my experience with them has been very good.
I have an '08 Altima that just turned 32K miles and the tires look like new. I have rotated them once at 20K.
I never have any problems with traction in rain, snow, or dry pavement.

I must have gotten the only good set ever made
48.gif

I am interested in what you end up with though...'cause I figure I will have to replace mine in another 70K miles (which is probably about 1.5 years from now). Let us know what you decide on, and your opinion of them once you get them.

Last edited:
Like Jennings, my 04 Altima 2.5 S went through the OE Conti's-205-65-16 in about 17,000 miles of mostly winter use. I also have 17" wheels/tires for the summer. For this winter('08-'09) I purchaced the Pirelli P4's and just love them. I wanted an A/S tire w/ good snow/ice traction. I'll be putting on the 17's in May after my NYS Inspection.

I would call the TRZ a safe bet if you want max treadwear at modest price.In wet they really are good. As far as best all-seasons? There are so very many factors, but my favourite tires are my Eagle Response Edge. I'm split between them and the TRZ for my next buy, but wear is not such a big issue for me since I'm driving less. If I were paying full price, I'd probally get the new Eagle GT, in the spirit of trying new models. The staff tests at TR are awesome on them. I however have a ticket for some % money off my next tire, so the incentive is to buy higher-end.

Last go-'round, I got Mich Pilot Sports, quite nice, but I do actually like the Eagle REs better. That may change after I see the wear. I ended up with a deal on them from EBay, but what I really wanted was Turanza Serenity, which is still in-play for me. Mich HydroEdge is a maybe too. As far as the Potenza line, look at the customer reviews, a LOT of negatives and I think the G-009s were heavily over-rated themselves.

I dont' even know your size or preferences. The Altimax might just be fine and are good in snow. Price is good in most sizes, but in mine I can get the Eagle GT for the same. Some people want to go the extra mile and get the Conti Extremes for snow. A lot depends on more than the last $5-$10, as you know. With more specifics, I can give you a final tip.

I know have about 35,000 on a set of TRZ's on a grand caravan. The tire were really good on snow until the tires hit about 30,000 miles. Now they are just average or below average on ice and snow. Mine have also severe weather checking (small cracking) just above the tire bead for about an inch all around on all four. I went to the tire dealer (tires plus) they said that yoko won't warrantee them unless the cracking is deaper than 1/8 inch. He said he would call yoko with the DOT numbers on the tires to see if they had a bad batch, but I think I am just SOL. If yoko won't stand up to the trz's, I won't buy there tires every again. My dealer said the cracking is just cosmetic, but it looks really bad. They should not be doing this.

Last edited:
The Goodyear tripple tread work for me , put a set of 4 on my wifes 2003 grand am ..sooooooo much better than the oem tires, My wife is undergoing Radiation oncology for a brain tumor....in March we had a unexpected snow storm with approx 8" of wet snow...the street had yet to be plowed , drove the length of the road ( 3 tenths mile ) to a plowed street without any traction problem , worked for me... " Semper Fi "

I have the X-Radials on my subaru. That car was awesome in the snow. Although 195/70/14s. Price wise with the instant rebate they had at sam's club they were $20 cheaper than the BFGs. 80K tread warranty IIRC. Not very noise, very stable.

Just put ~7,500 miles/12,000 km on the TRZ this summer season
plus 3,000 miles/5,000 km on 08'

Teadlife:
Brand New 12/32
Front Down to 8/32
Rear Down to 10/32

Impression:
TRZ gets noisier as it ages; 4 years old x-ice is quieter than it (just switched over)
traction remains strong, but not as good as first installed (80% from it full strength)
Treadwear is faster than expected

Last edited:
IMHO TripleTreads are unbeatable for an all season passenger car tire.
I also think "all season" is a misnomer, 3 season is more accurate, that said, TT's have some of the best snow traction I have experienced in an all season tire.
Traction T/A's are some of the worst.
I have heard good things about the Nokian WRG2 tires, but they are harder to find and pricey as heak!

Last edited:
TripleTreds are also picky about balancing - I roadforced mine and the GSP9700 found a wild variance that was fixed by force matching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back