Best wipers for hot, very dry climate?

I'm living in a hot, very dry climate, where I've recently bought a used Honda Fit (sold as a Jazz in my location). I noticed right away that the wiper blades were pretty cracked, as were the tires. I've replaced the tires, but I wanted to get some wiper blade replacements that will hold up under the hot sun and dry climate. Pretty much the only time they'll need to move water off the windshield is when I hit the washer-wiper switch. It rains that seldom.
What wiper brands are known to do well in these conditions? I'm in North Africa, but for comparison you could think of southwestern Arizona, I imagine. Thank you.

Genuine Honda blades if you can get them, and then you can easily replace just the refills later on.
This. The Legend sits outside in Central Valley heat and sun and the squeegees seem to last forever. They last 8 years, on average. I just buy the rubber squeegee (blades are original to the car).

If you don't know the provenance of the blades, buy the complete blades. Then buy the squeegees going forward.

Are you fond of car covers? They help preserve the car in hot, dry climates better than anything else.
Your headlights will get foggy over time. Plastic just doesn't replace glass. All clear plastic becomes opaque in our climate.

I'm in Arizona, so similar climate. I don't have much problems with wipers, even for my cars that sit in the pure sunlight. They last me about a year. Just gotta replace them.

Are you fond of car covers? They help preserve the car in hot, dry climates better than anything else.
Your headlights will get foggy over time. Plastic just doesn't replace glass. All clear plastic becomes opaque in our climate.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm using a car cover, mainly to keep the dust off (we have occasional sand storms). And, yes, the headlights are yellowed. I'm reluctant to try one of those kits, and I don't think replacement plastic parts are readily available, or at least not affordable. I can live with them, as I don't even drive often at night.

Genuine Honda blades if you can get them, and then you can easily replace just the refills later on.
Thank you. I'll see if factory blades are available. There's only one very small Honda dealer in the area, but I think there's more of a presence in the much larger capital city. I suspect any factory parts will be really expensive, though, so I might be better off buying cheap blades and expecting to change them often.

I am a fan of just about any/all name brand of beam style wiper blades.
In my opinion, they’re just better.
Can beam style blades fit on an classic (circa 2006-07) wiper arm? My 2006 Honda Jazz is apparently the equivalent of a 2007 Honda Fit in the USA.

This. The Legend sits outside in Central Valley heat and sun and the squeegees seem to last forever. They last 8 years, on average. I just buy the rubber squeegee (blades are original to the car).

If you don't know the provenance of the blades, buy the complete blades. Then buy the squeegees going forward.
Um, "squeegee" isn't a brand name in this case, is it? If not, what exactly do you mean? Thank you.

I think he means just buy the Honda insert. Acura/Honda come with wiper blades that you can buy just the rubber insert when your original wears out. A pair of pliers, squeeze gently on one end, pull, and they slide out. They're reinforced with two removable steel "bars" that you take out of the old rubber and transfer to the new rubber.

In the US the rubber insert is very reasonably priced, so much so that it's not worth buying any aftermarket wiper blades.

Thank you. I'll see if factory blades are available. There's only one very small Honda dealer in the area, but I think there's more of a presence in the much larger capital city. I suspect any factory parts will be really expensive, though, so I might be better off buying cheap blades and expecting to change them often.
It may seem expensive initially, but better value in the long run. Refills are cheap and easy to change, as many have noted.

Um, "squeegee" isn't a brand name in this case, is it? If not, what exactly do you mean? Thank you.
20221023_105537_annotated.jpg

Top - Blade (Toyota). Includes the rubber "squeegee".
Bottom - Replacement rubber "squeegee".

Squeegees are available from both Honda and Toyota. I don't know if dealership parts counters stock just the squeegee; I mail order them from dealership websites.

To replace the squeegee;
  • Remove the blade from the wiper arm (it's just easier this way).
  • Find the end that looks similar to what is circled above. Note that part of the frame (tabs) sits in slots in the squeegee. This is how the squeegee is held on place.
  • Pull the squeegee to release it from the frame (don't bend the frame).
  • Remove the thin, metal stiffeners (arrowed).
  • Position the stiffeners in the new squeegee.
  • Slide the squeegee and stiffeners into the frame.
  • Pull on the squeegee to engage the locking tabs/slots.
  • Install the blade onto the arm.

Back