Best way to prevent lock freeze in winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is 1995 Toyota Tercel with manual door/fuel/trunk locks. Prior winter I sprayed the key holes with WD-40. After one winter heavy rain with freezing temp overnight I was not able to open the trunk because the lock was frozen next morning. When the weather got warmer, I tried the white lithium grease from a can and sprayed a lot into the key holes. After another freezing rain the trunk lock frozed again. Although I never have problems unlocking the driver side door. Will thick grease in the key holes work?

Last edited:
Thick grease is way too gummy for the tumblers etc inside the lock. WD40 is not great but better, it is meant to repel water and is thin but attracts grime. Better thing is a dry graphite lube.

Use a good quality low temp lube. Break Free CLP is available at Walmart and plenty of other places in a spray can and is good down to at least -20F.

I have been using Corrosion X Aviation on my locks with good luck but it doesn't really get that cold here.

Which shelf at Walmart can I find Break Free CLP?

Why would silicone spray work better than WD-40? They both are like liquid solvents.

How does a dry graphite lube work better than a white lithium grease?

I've tried dozens of sauces.
Plain old WD40 works very well, and is easy to get.

Especially when you squirt it from a warm can into a frozen lock.
Use the red nozzle extender to gt deep inside the lock. Go back and forth/ in and out, as you spray.

I used the CRC thin spray, forgot the name and I'm too lazy to go into the garage to look. What I've been doing is spray the locks then if they're calling for snow or freezing rain I take the business card refigerator magnets which are nice and pliable, and cover the lock with them. It pretty much stops water entering, I did OK with them last winter. No really bad weather to test them out this winter. It might be worth a try for someone who is due for some bad weather to try out.

On cars with the recessed locks it covers the whole thing nicely. Others drape it over the lock like a roof to divert the water around and over the magnet. YMMV

JMO

I was thinking to apply heavy grease inside the key holes to keep water out. Covering them to prevent water getting in is a good idea. I will try the magnets first. If not working, I will try duct tape or masking tape covering the key holes.

i use wd-40 first, as it displaces the water very well. as it is not a good lubricant,i then use graphite spray. both are used with the nozzle extension to get into the mechanism. i do it 2 or 3 times in the winter. if going to a car wash, i cover the key holes with duct tape. this has always worked well for me.

I tried everything on my truck. Lithium, wd40, pb blaster, graphite and the only thing that work was good old grease. Actually it was moly grease. Stuck a spare key in the grease and turned the lock 10 to 20 times. Had no more problems.

My car's heated door lock (I think it's on the driver's side only) works fine, though I rarely get to test it.

silicone spray will not leave the oily residue like WD40. If you don't like that idea, try some Remington Dry Lube-no residue at all

Steve

Quote:
Which shelf at Walmart can I find Break Free CLP?

Check in the gun area.
Quote:
How does a dry graphite lube work better than a white lithium grease?

Graphite is a dry lube after the solvent disappears. The remaining solids provide a lube. I don't like it as it makes a mess and it really doesn't lube well, IMHO.

Once the key is used, the grease is NOT a water block because the hole block is then open.
Grease is a questionable lube for tiny parts that have to move in extreme cold, anyway.

I have been using engine oil for many years to keep locks working.

I use a Sure-Shot sprayer (refillabe aerosol can, pressurized with compressed air) to apply the oil.

Engine oil is the second one on the list of GM approved lubricants for locks.

Key-less entry.
grin2.gif
Sorry couldn't resist!

Too Bad you don't live in Canada... We have this Red coloured can of a branded product called Rust-Check and it's a penetrating fluid that isn't alcohol based. I spray some into all my locks just before the winter and I have never had a problem getting into them. Works GREAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back