Best way to keep a truck from rusting

I have a second gen ram and now a 3rd gen ram. The 2nd gen frame has a lot of surface rust the 3rd gen is pretty clean. What would be the best way to preserve Both of these? I know rustoleum makes an undercoating but does all the existing rust need removed first? That would be a time consuming task! Let me know what you guys think. Want to keep them both around for as long as I can.

I have a second gen ram and now a 3rd gen ram. The 2nd gen frame has a lot of surface rust the 3rd gen is pretty clean. What would be the best way to preserve Both of these? I know rustoleum makes an undercoating but does all the existing rust need removed first? That would be a time consuming task! Let me know what you guys think. Want to keep them both around for as long as I can.
RAM trucks here tend to rust badly just above the rear wheel wells. It looks like water gets trapped inside, between the box and the bed, and the rust starts internally.

A good rust-proofing place will be aware of this, and will drill access holes to spray their oil-based product inside.

Rust Check and Known are both well-regarded.

It depends on the level of corrosion these vehicles already have IMO.

Based on what I've read here, some products like Noxudal not only provide a protective coating, they also convert the rust to something more stable. Problem is, Noxudal is not the easiest to get and it's like $30 per rattle can.

There's all kinds of spray on products available and we have lots of threads on it here. I've used Krown in the past and spray my own Woolwax and Fluid Film.

I don't have any experience applying coatings to 2nd or 3rd gen Rams, but I have done several 4th gens. Like said, the rear wheel wells are a concern, but there's lots more like the inner and outer rocker panels, cab corners, front fenders, etc..

The key to preventing rust is by placing a barrier between the metal and corrosive environment. Paint works so long as it's not chipped or cracked. Anti-rust coatings work well because they are pliable. But they do need to be refreshed often since they dry out and get hard.

Removing existing rust probably helps, but it's not absolutely necessary. Anti-rust coatings do a good job of penetrating gaps when applied.

The existing rust does not need to be removed. Of course Noxudol, Krown, and the others will not get rid of existing rust, they will stop the rust from getting worse, so they are still worth using.

Noxudol's site has a list of shops that offer the service. Many are Toyota dealers, since they use it on rusty Tacoma frames. Because they use it on their own trucks, and it was part of a recall remedy, it is possible that other Toyota dealers not listed can do the Noxudol application, too. So in case your local Toyota dealer isn't listed, you can always contact that dealer directly about Noxudol.

If you want to try doing it yourself, Noxudol sells directly on Amazon.

Based on what I've read here, some products like Noxudal not only provide a protective coating, they also convert the rust to something more stable. Problem is, Noxudal is not the easiest to get and it's like $30 per rattle can.

There's all kinds of spray on products available and we have lots of threads on it here. I've used Krown in the past and spray my own Woolwax and Fluid Film.

I don't have any experience applying coatings to 2nd or 3rd gen Rams, but I have done several 4th gens. Like said, the rear wheel wells are a concern, but there's lots more like the inner and outer rocker panels, cab corners, front fenders, etc..

Actually, Noxudol is easy to get now that they have a store on Amazon. Since it's shipped directly from the manufcturer, you don't have to worry about fake/counterfeits :)

Noxudol is the seller, and they ship on their own and don't use Amazon fulfillment.

Although it's not a rust converter, it is better than Krown if you're willing to spend the extra money.

Once the rust starts, applying an undercoating will make matters worse. It has to be applied before it starts. Oil sprays and frequent rinsing are your best options.

No rubber under coating, especially if its got rust already, it just traps water and salt under it. If you can grind/sand existing rust down to good metal, some rust paint seems to help rust from starting again for a while, but flakes off fast if rust gets under it. A few cans of Krown a couple times a year will make a difference as well. May not stop rust totally but slows it down.

The Noxudol 300 and 700 products do contain a few extra additives that are there specifically to control corrosion. This and the fact that they are waterborne (so low/no VOC) are likely why Toyota and a few other OEMs have used this product in their recalls related to corrosion.

Sulfonic acids, petroleum, calcium salts, overbased CAS no.: 68783-96-0 EC no.: 272-213-9 10 - 20 % Fatty acids, tall-oil, polymers with isophthalic acid, pentaerythritol and tall oil CAS no.: 68410-37-7 EC no.: - 5 - 15 %

Sulphonic acids, calcium salts, pentaerythritol, and isophthalic acid are all additives related to corrosion management. Other than Nox Rust 712 AM (was used by Toyota as well), I've never found evidence of any of these additives in Krown, Rust Check etc. (which just wash off in a hour or two of rain anyway). I'm sure a Toyota engineer in the CPC area would have more to say on the subject :)

Reactions: JTK
Washing your vehicle more frequently in the winter (or for some folks at all) helps a lot when it comes to keeping rust down.

12 cans of red-n-ready spray grease in my new 2002 e250 was sold in 2018 and had absolutely no rust from the inside out. Anywhere...upstste ny..

We get -35 C, a lot of sand and salt. Nothing survives the sand/salt blasting in high wear areas, so yearly touch ups are essential. On washing, at least one fellow (who bolted coupons in his fenders coated with woolwax) actually had worse rust in the "test" fender as he washed the woolwax off completely. I've tried a lot of products, including Mike Sander's grease (has to be sprayed at 120 C) and nothing resists wear as good as the Noxudol while remaining compliant and demonstrating seam creep (more the 700 in the cavities) even 3-4 years after application.

Using the high creep product in cavities 700 along with the heavier body 300 for exposed areas is more along the line of commercial CPC products (like in rail car production) where multiple products are used and specified depending on substrate, exposure etc.

I've been at this for over 35 years now and have a shop with a hoist, and several pressure feed cavity guns.

This was my last project...was on the hoist for a few days: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=32082

First time hearing Noxudol. Cosmoline is another option. Tacky and used by alot of German mfgs before they moved to more eco friendly wraps and other tech.

I think if you are DIYing Cosmoline seems to resist being washed off the most. They dont seem to have any application centers, at least none they openly advertise unlike FF, Noxudol, Krown etc.

Back