Talk to me about the 2nd Gen Durango (2005-2009)

I drove a neighbor’s late 2nd Gen Durango today. I had not been in one before, and I liked it. I had test-driven 1st gen ones long ago and not liked them much, but this was a very different beast. I have an older SUV I have been thinking about “upgrading” next year. This has the size I like and I did like the styling, both exterior and interior. His was a later facelifted one per what I just read on them. This is just talk info gathering as I would do nothing until next summer or later at the minimum.

I understand the 4x4 comes with a dual range gear box and locking diff, which I want. Are there any bad things about the engines/trans/etc.? I know little about modern Dodge vehicles. My neighbor is out of the country for a month (why I drove the vehicle), so I can’t just talk to him about it.

I don't know if I'm talking about the right years but my brother had durango w/black leather seats & I think a 318 v8. It was a nice ride but wore down from my brother's abuse. I liked it though. But I've seen the inline 6's? do pretty well in them too.

EDIT: I think the one I'm talking about is an older generation.

The 4.7's have a tendency to blow head gaskets. the 3.7's were gutless and would burn oil due to a design flaw in the ringlands. The 5.7 is the one you want. They drive fairly smooth. I wouldn't recommend however.

Back