Best wax/sealant for UV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Saturday BITOG

So it's almost that time again, detailing for the summer. Over the last few years I've been using 3M Performance Finish paint sealant on all my cars, and it seems to be working great. Fortunately I am looking at a move soon OUT of the Pacific NorthwOrst to head to sunnier skies and drier shores. That raises the question, what is BITOG's favorite wax/sealant for UV protection?

My 4runner and E300 are both dark, one charcoal and the other black, and I know what the sunbelt's UV can do to dark Toyota paint, even when the owner uses basic wax once or twice a year. I'd like to get several more good years out of the 4runner's paint, should I stay the course with the 3M, or is there a better option to block UV?

Thanks

The best protection from UV is a garage. Anything else is pretty useless.

Most waxes and "Sealants"...no such thing, btw... offer minimal (if any) protection. My favorite wax is Megs Ultimate, applied by hand in back and forth (not circular!) movements to eliminate the possibility of swirls. It provides protection from the elements and has a deep gloss.

The synthetic sealants can withstand the heat much better (the carnauba-rich waxes actually tend to melt in places like AZ, no joke), but nothing beats covered parking.

Popular ones are Menzerna, Klasse, Wolfgang, etc. You can put wax on top if you want extra shine.

There's also stuff like Opticoat or clear bras.

dparm hit an important point- traditional waxes don't last long in high heat. Synthetics, aka sealants tend to last better.

There are a ton out there now. I'm another fan of Megs Ultimate but have had beautiful and last results from Blackfire Wet Diamond as well. Might want to check out Meg's Paint Protect 365. Its supposed to be less of a showy product and geared more towards protection. I've used it but not on my primary vehicle so I can't really comment on effectiveness.

Another vote for Meguiars Ultimate Wax! A little goes a long way. Does not leave a messy white residue either. Surprised me that it has a berry smell.

Originally Posted By: buck91
dparm hit an important point- traditional waxes don't last long in high heat. Synthetics, aka sealants tend to last better.

There are a ton out there now. I'm another fan of Megs Ultimate but have had beautiful and last results from Blackfire Wet Diamond as well. Might want to check out Meg's Paint Protect 365. Its supposed to be less of a showy product and geared more towards protection. I've used it but not on my primary vehicle so I can't really comment on effectiveness.

Agreed, the big names have started offering synthetic waxes. I am actually referring more to the sealants like Klasse. I apologize for not being more clear.

NuFinish.
image_12506.jpg

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
NuFinish.
image_12506.jpg

+1.....IMO,the longest lasting protective finish available. My vehicle beads rain almost a year after applied. Plan on putting a new coat on about mid-April.

No glamour here, but this one kept the paint on my 89 Accord looking good for 23 years - with regular use, of course.

mg-a1216_L_17f4978f.jpg

DBMaster, I have had very nice results from Meg's cleaner wax- both the A12 you listed as well as the M06 version (which also offers more aggressive cleaning properties). Neither lasts very long at all and I would rate them as requiring re-waxing after each wash (or sooner!)...

Good waxes for what they are, but not longevity to the protective layer.

When my Honda was parked outside during the day I waxed four times a year. When I had a job with a parking garage I dropped to twice a year. For a 1989 paint job with no clear coat (white paint still lacked it at the time) it still shined and beaded water in 2012. I can't really ask for much more.

Yeah, but the specific question is which has best UV protection, which is different from which is the most durable sealant.

My guess is: None of them. If there were a world beater product out there they would definitely let us all know. I'm guessing that the shiny coating consistently outruns the UV protection that may be contained in the coating, no matter what the product.

Absent covered parking or a car cover, I'd say your best bet is to consistently use a spray wax on top of the sealant. One that has pretentions at least, of offering UV protection.

Last edited:
Shelter from the sun (garage) of course is best,but since we're at work during daylight hrs,sun damage is unavoidable,unless your job has covered parking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back