Best wax found at the local auto parts store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick9009, this is a bit lengthy!

There has been some very good advise given here but, what ever you do, you'll need to put in some time in order to first get rid of the oxidation. There are all-in-one type products that do this(romove oxidation and wax/shine the paint). You may need to do several coats expecially on the hood, roof and trunk lid.

Each year when I visited my FIL in Florida, I would wash/polish his blue S-10 PU that was left in the FL sun all year till I came down. He used the truck but never wash/waxed it. I would wash/wax for him. When waxing the truck, it would take several coats of what ever polish he had laying around(usually NU-FINISH liquid in the orange bottle). One coat down each side of the truck(as the sides of vehicles don't seem to fade anywhere near what the top portions do) but 4-5 coats on the hood/roof just to completely remove all of the oxidation to a nice shine. We would visit for a month as I to had a house in FL. During that month, I would wash/wax the S-10 several more time as well. And when I was done, this baby looked great! You could see youself in the paint and even the metalic would stand out.

I do agree with others here as-far-as they're preferd choices but, these products are also for their "Keepers", not vehicles that they're selling. These products are very good in keeping paint nice should they sell but, you seem to be looking for an off the shelf product that you can quickly prep your car for sale without ordering online.

Well, which ever product you choose, you'll need to use elbow grease/time to make the Elantra worth looking at. I have tried alot of easy-to-use products and they are "easy to use" but, not so easy to use on neglected paint. I don't know just how faded or neglected your Elantra paint is unless I could examine it first so, I'm not recomending any particular product. Just put in the time to make it ready for sale.

Also, back to the S-10. I didn't spend all day on this truck all in one shot, I would do things early in the morning while the rest of the house was waking up as I'm usually up much earlier than most. Then we would have the rest of the day as a family to do what ever we wanted to do. And too, because we were down in FL for a whole month, there was lot's of time to do lot's of things.

Originally Posted By: grampi
If you guys would bother trying some of these other products like I have, you'd know what I'm talking about. I have directly compared several of Meguiar's finishing waxes to Duragloss, Zaino, and Klasse products and the Meguiar's products simply don't compare in terms of looks or durability.

Trouble is , to my knowledge these normally aren't readily available as a wax found at the local parts store as the title of this thread is asking/talking about. Do they work better? I don't know, never used any, I'm not going of a big hunt for car wax, many more important things taking up my life. I also do not use oil products I can't readily find in the retail outlets I shop at.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
If you guys would bother trying some of these other products like I have, you'd know what I'm talking about. I have directly compared several of Meguiar's finishing waxes to Duragloss, Zaino, and Klasse products and the Meguiar's products simply don't compare in terms of looks or durability.

Trouble is , to my knowledge these normally aren't readily available as a wax found at the local parts store as the title of this thread is asking/talking about. Do they work better? I don't know, never used any, I'm not going of a big hunt for car wax, many more important things taking up my life. I also do not use oil products I can't readily find in the retail outlets I shop at.

I know for a fact Duragloss products are available at the local retailers, and yes, they are better. Are you saying you wouldn't even consider using better products if they aren't available at local retailers? That's just silly.

I know for a fact Duragloss products are available at the local retailers, and yes, they are better. Are you saying you wouldn't even consider using better products if they aren't available at local retailers? That's just silly.

Did you notice I used the words "normally" and "readily", there was a reason I phrased it that way. And yes this thread is titled "Best wax found at the local auto parts store". That would mean not mail order or off E-Bay or other means other than a local retailer. No I normally do not go shopping off the internet, silly or not.

Did you notice I used the words "normally" and "readily", there was a reason I phrased it that way. And yes this thread is titled "Best wax found at the local auto parts store". That would mean not mail order or off E-Bay or other means other than a local retailer. No I normally do not go shopping off the internet, silly or not.

So I guess you have your answer then, Duragloss is the best wax found at local stores.

Maybe, but then I'm stocked up with the Meguiar's 1st class products from Wally World. If nothing else it saves me money. And I find their NXT Generation Tech Wax gives me 6 months protection which takes me over the No. Indiana winter. Don't ask for much more anyway as by March/April it time to wax anyway and check the body for any dings or bumps.

Maybe, but then I'm stocked up with the Meguiar's 1st class products from Wally World. If nothing else it saves me money. And I find their NXT Generation Tech Wax gives me 6 months protection which takes me over the No. Indiana winter. Don't ask for much more anyway as by March/April it time to wax anyway and check the body for any dings or bumps.

Don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but I have NXT now and it's not as good as the DG.

Your oponion! It does a fantastic job for me, my oponion, and seeing as I already have it in my auto upkeep stash I see no reason to buy more variety.

More than likely neither one of us has the ability to make a full scientific study as to which is actually the best.

Last edited:
6 months out of NTX? -- maybe in a garage during 4 of those 6. I have a 3/4 bottle of 2.0 I would give away locally. With DG, Collinite, Danase, and Poorboys products on my shelf, I never find myself reaching for the bottle of NXT2.0. It's easy to use, smells good, looks good for a short while, but it's the "staining of trim" that ruins it for me.

My cars paint beaded water all winter long, at least when it got warm enough for the water to be in a liquid state. This was using NTX 2.0 paste wax, 2 coates in later October last fall. Will do the same this fall.

I guess if it doesn't work well for you use something else.

Remember the title was about waxes available locally, not mail order or thru the net.

jcwit, i'm really liking the Gold Class Carnauba Plus over the Nxt 2.0, have 2 bottles of the 2.0 and it's a great wax but I have to give the edge to the Gold Class
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thnks for the tip Malo83, might have to try that, but again after I use up what I have, the NTX 2.0 paste cans last a long time.

jcwit

The OP asked what's the best wax available at local stores. You can't say Meguiar's is the best (which you haven't said, but you're implying it is) because you admittedly haven't tried the other products recommended by some of the other repliers. We have compared the other products to the Meguiar's stuff and we've found other products to be better.

grampi

This is your opinion, and nothing more. It doesn't agree with my opinion, which is different, and nothing more.

Can you comprehend this?

The only product I see that you recommend thats readily available at local retail outlets is Duragloss. You claim its better than Mcguire's, I claim McGuire's suits my needs and is an excellant wax/protectant, mayhaps the best.

Neither of us have the scientific results available to back up our claims, you're happy with yours, I'm happy with mine. You will not convience me to rush out to purchase other waxes, and I'm sure I can not convience you otherwise either.

So far I get this discussion, now its up to you to understand the discussion.

jcwit

The OP asked what's the best wax available at local stores. You can't say Meguiar's is the best (which you haven't said, but you're implying it is) because you admittedly haven't tried the other products recommended by some of the other repliers. We have compared the other products to the Meguiar's stuff and we've found other products to be better.

Give it up grampi, your starting to sound like a broken record
smirk2.gif

grampi

This is your opinion, and nothing more. It doesn't agree with my opinion, which is different, and nothing more.

Can you comprehend this?

The only product I see that you recommend thats readily available at local retail outlets is Duragloss. You claim its better than Mcguire's, I claim McGuire's suits my needs and is an excellant wax/protectant, mayhaps the best.

Neither of us have the scientific results available to back up our claims, you're happy with yours, I'm happy with mine. You will not convience me to rush out to purchase other waxes, and I'm sure I can not convience you otherwise either.

You don't need scientific evidence to see better shine and realize longer lasting protection.

I am so glad that neither of these guys are "Zainolets"; Can you imagine how bad the fight could be?

jcwit said:
grampi

Can you comprehend this?

You don't need scientific evidence to see better shine and realize longer lasting protection. [/quote

So we make our dicisions on someones opinion. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK

This is like 20 years ago discussing (I use that word loosely) which cigerate tastes better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back