Best wax found at the local auto parts store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Best looking? If I'm selling a car, I want the easiest to use and don't care about how long it lasts or really how deep the shine is. FX SynWax is the easiest I've used, you could probably do a midsize sedan in under 10 minutes.

I found Mothers SynWax to be a real pain, sure it initially buffed off easily but it left behind this oily residue that made me have to go over the car a few times with detailing spray before I could get rid of it all. It's definitely not something I'd recommend for black paint. It did leave a good shine once all was said and done though, but there are other OTC products I'd pick before this one (if you can still find it, Eagle One Nanowax is pretty easy to use and provides a good shine on black)

Originally Posted By: rick9009
The car is a silver 2003 hyundai elantra. The car has never been in a garage so the paint is somewhat faded.

Going off of this information, I'd use the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax.

It's going to do for you what you need it to, since you're selling it anyway.

Get some Turtle Wax and be done with it.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Meguiars
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

100% agree! This is the best readily available wax IMO for the average person. Meguiar's NXT is a good product and gives a good shine but it just does not last at all. Gold Class is their best product line for the DIY'er IMO.

Doesn't the NXT 2.0 last longer than the old, plain NXT? I thought it did and is why I bought some of it. I already had Gold glass, but it only lasted about a month before it quit beading. That led me to the purple bottle.... I thought it had the looks of gold, but with better longevity.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Meguiars
thumbsup2.gif

100% agree! This is the best readily available wax IMO for the average person. Meguiar's NXT is a good product and gives a good shine but it just does not last at all. Gold Class is their best product line for the DIY'er IMO.

You said it yourself, Meguiar's finishing products just don't last, which is why I don't recommend them. Other products such as Durgloss, Zaino, and Klasse last much longer, and look at least as good, if not better. However, I know Zaino isn't avaliable in local stores, and I don't know if Klasse products are or not.

For $15 shipped you can obtain most of the Duragloss sealants. Shipping is a flat $5 no matter how little or much you order. This price is still less than the NXT 2.0.

For an extra $6 get a bottle of their shampoo. If you need protectant they have some very good ones. Much better than the otc ones which can cause dry rotting and browning. I used the vinyl and leather protectant. They have several.

Another must have is their Aquawax. A spray sealant used after washing to boost protection and shine.

Their bug and tar remover seemed so so to me. Surf City Grime Destroyer is MUCH better. I've read DG's wheel cleaner is so so also.

I used to use Meguiars and its a good otc product. I like DG much better. Less expensive and better performance. But at least I did try both. Have also tried Mothers and Turtle Wax products. My ranking would be:

1. DG
2. Meguiars
3. Mothers
4. TW

Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
Meguiars is the best value around.
The finish aint bad either.
I use nothing else.

How can Meguiar's be the best value around if DG is less expensive and works better?

Well, your local Walmart, Autozone and Advance Auto carries Meguiars and within 5 miles of your residence, you can find at least one of those stores.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
Meguiars is the best value around.
The finish aint bad either.
I use nothing else.

How can Meguiar's be the best value around if DG is less expensive and works better?

Good question
21.gif

DG > Meguiar's

Best wax for me! wax my vehicles every 4/6 weeks, like to keep my cars looking their best, and inbetween waxes I keep the paint looking it's best with Meguiars Quik Spray Detailer after every wash
thumbsup2.gif

and when the mood strikes i'll give her a quik spray wax booster.

Last edited:
I've been using this stuff and it seems to work pretty good:
meguiars-ultimate-wash-and-wax.jpg

There is probably better stuff out there, but I can't justify spending lots of time to hand-wax and polish a car that's rusting anymore. For the little amount of time you have to put into it, it's probably the best though. I know it works better than other wash & wax stuff I've used before.

I guess it's not easy getting the Kool Aid drinkers to switch over to V-8....

If you guys would bother trying some of these other products like I have, you'd know what I'm talking about. I have directly compared several of Meguiar's finishing waxes to Duragloss, Zaino, and Klasse products and the Meguiar's products simply don't compare in terms of looks or durability.

Originally Posted By: grampi
If you guys would bother trying some of these other products like I have, you'd know what I'm talking about. I have directly compared several of Meguiar's finishing waxes to Duragloss, Zaino, and Klasse products and the Meguiar's products simply don't compare in terms of looks or durability.

Infatuation
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back