Best Vacuum cleaner

I'm looking for an upright bagless vacuum cleaner. I'm moving into a new apartment (yaaaaaaa....a much much nicer one than before) My old roomate trashed my vacuum so I'm looking for a new one. I will keep it in my bedroom and not let anyone else use it. I want Durability/longevity. I want excellent cleaning ability. Price, I would like to keep under $600. I just want something that will last. I am not the type of person to buy a cheap product for say $100 every 3-4 years when I can spend $250 and give the product to my grand kids, If you se where I'm coming from.
I'm looking at the Dyson Ball DC25. Any thoughts
Thanks,
Dusty

Dysons don't necessarily suck any more (heh) than other vacuums, so don't buy it with the expectation that they are the ultimate cleaner. What they excel at is maintaining a good level of suction even when the canister starts to fill. That means less repeated vacuuming of the same patch of floor.

The ball model is excellent if you have a lot of furniture/obstacles to vacuum around, but I am still a firm believer in moving furniture when vacuuming.

I'm not sure how reliable or durable the Dysons are over the long term. Have never seen any data on that. I'm sure some owners can chime in here.

(disclaimer: I used to sell vacuums at a major retailer years ago)

I'm more concerned about durability/longevity
Dparm,
Whats your top pick for this?

Dysons are overstyled, gimmicky and fragile but have a good warranty. They have OK suction, but are not as powerful or durable as the Bissell Healthy Home bagless. Trust me, I had a Dyson before getting the Bissell.

Bissell Healthy Home

You should be able to use a 20% discount coupon at Bed, Bath & Beyond and get it for a good price if not available at COSTCO, Sam's Club, or BJ's Wholesale Club. I also found the previous generation Healthy Home vacuum cleaner at Tuesday Morning for ~$130. I would avoid most of the other Bissell models as they are not as robust functionally or build-wise.

I fix vacuums and give them away to the needy. Seems like an endless supply of them abandoned in this complex. Fixed most types including kirby and oreck. I recently repaired a DC25, jammed up with wet junk and abandoned like most are. Other than the filtration and nice attachments, the power, belts, rollers, suction are the same as anything else. Kind of small footprint, complicated cleaning. I would not pay that kind of money. Like the easy cleaning and power of uprights like (for example) a "Hoover Deluxe Elite Rewind". A basic vacuum, easy to use, power, easy to clean.

So, if you want durability and longevity, no doubt its a Kirby. They are like tanks, suck the carpets off the tack strips. But honestly for an apartment all you need is a $100 vacuum with attachments. If it blows up just throw it away and buy another one (why I have 6 vacuums in my apartment right now).

The main thing you want is a washable filter that's mounted at the top, not underneath the dirt container. makes all the difference.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Just get a decent hoover, they are nice and you can make jokes about it =D

or name it....

joking aside.

I've had good luck with many brands key is to check reviews of the model before impulse buying.

Last edited:
I've had an Oreck XL for 12 years now, lightweight, excellent suction, never been repaired or replaced any parts on it yet and low priced. Bags are a pain to find, I usually get a years worth at a time.

http://www.oreck.com/Oreck-XL-Edge-Upright-Vacuum/581,default,pd.html?start=6&cgid=Oreck-Bagged-Vacuum-Cleaners

My parents have a Kirby which has been in the family for over 42 years but its heavy, been repaired a lot and was big bucks back in the day.

Guys,
I'm not into cheap here. I don't want a ~$100 unit that I might get a couple years out of.
I bought a Makita MAC 700 compressor just for toping off tires, when a junky $99 oilless Craftsman would work for a few years. I will be done with school in a year and don't want to buy another anytime soon.
I like things that are overbuilt. I will pay for the quality.

Last edited:
Kirby by far, if you have the money. Dyson is decent for retail stuff.

The newer LGs are worth looking into.

I've had my $100 Dirt Devil vac for at least 15 years. Broke a drive belt and replaced it. Still works real well. If you're not riding around on top of it you'll enjoy the durability.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
I looked into a Kirby but it was $850 on the cheap end.

So you aren't cheap but price is a factor.

You can't go with internet vacuum cleaner reviews. I see what people do to them, no wonder they complain about belts breaking, clogging, shorting out. People use them as shop vacs, jam them up vacuuming kitty litter with the poop, suck up bath mats. Womens long hair fouling the rollers, burning belts is a big one. People abuse vacuums then run to the internet to complain. Nope, its just ignorance.

Cost does not always = quality or longevity when it comes to vacuum cleaners. The main criteria IMO is primary filter design. Here are a few from my closet going out the door now. On the right is an industrial hoover. That thing rocks but I hate the bags and no attachments. In the middle is a bissell. Very powerful but look where the filter is. Below containment, stupid idea always clogs. The one on the left is awesome. Retractile cord, has power. People love that vacuum, I never get calls that it failed. So just look for where the filter is, thats maybe the most important thing.

24a81706-3871-48e6-8b80-3e4bc025ddce_zps4a849663.jpg

Check out Consumer Reports March 2013 for their run-down. Dyson ranked #24 out of 45 tested. I would stick with one of the top six recommended and move on. All of our "cheap" vacuums last 10 yrs or longer with minimal care.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Check out Consumer Reports March 2013 for their run-down. Dyson ranked #24 out of 45 tested. I would stick with one of the top six recommended and move on. All of our "cheap" vacuums last 10 yrs or longer with minimal care.

Can you post that? can't find it.

OK, I will chime in. In my opinion I really don’t like uprights at all, the attachments never work for me and I just find them less useful overall than a canister. We have a central vacuum for our main vacuum but also a Sears (Panasonic) canister for odd jobs and cleaning out the car, etc. It works great. I think the Panasonic vacuums are pretty much the best on the market. They sell uprights too but I do not have any experience with them.

The place where I buy parts for our central vac does repairs on other vacuums too, and the guy has told me multiple times that Dyson are the #1 brand brought in for repair.

Sarcastic????
Yes, I said I would like to keep it under $600. Surely a good durable unit can be had for that or less.

Back