Best SUV (SAFE and Reliable) for the money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for an SUV that will get us good mileage and at the same time will be reliable.

Open to Audi, Porsche, Toyota, Escalade, etc.

Really want something that will be reliable, SAFE and can seat from 5-7 people, comfortably.

We are known to keep our cars.

I have not purchased a brand new car since my 91 Honda Civic Si which went to 515k miles on the same engine.

Our family car is an 02 Silverado that currently has 315k miles. Wife purchased the truck(19mpg)new.
Wife's truck broke down yesterday, possible fuel pump/fuel regulator, and we just don't think that the truck should be the family car anymore.

I do own a 1970 280sel, 1979 300sd, and a 1988 300sel, all Mercedes, but the wife wants something newer.
She is not asking for much but I don't want to spend the money on a lame SUV that isn't reliable.
I would rather spend more money and give her something nice and reliable and SAFE, big plus if it can be worked on by a me (DIY)

We looked at the Chevy Volts and Toyota Prius yesterday.

What is good mileage to you? Not great mileage but I love the newer Durango.. Decent power and best mileage with the base V6 + a very nice ZF 8-speed auto. 3 rows at least available and a very handsome package. Keep the trim basic and its lower 30s list. I'd like to consider one for replacing our original owner '02 Tahoe eventually. So we too have lived and loved the reliability of the big Chevys.

I have known a bunch of people who love Pilots and even ones with lots of miles seem to command good used prices around here.
I knew a guy who did very little maintenance and his Pilot somehow managed to live and prosper, his Forester was not so lucky and is barely surviving on life support.
I do remember that he complained about his Pilot's traction on ice after getting in a minor accident near work, but I looked at it on my way out that day and told him the next morning that his tires were nearly bald...he actually got a new set within a few days, don't think he ever repaired the body damage he had caused.

If two of those 5-7 people are under 5 ft tall, you can get the Tesla Model S with the optional rear-facing seats. 7 passengers, excellent dynamics, highest safety rating ever (5.4/5 stars).

The Model X is a lot more weight and much worse dynamics for not a heck of a lot more room, but that's another option.

I'd take a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna over any 3-row SUV. More room for their size, better dynamics. Also more fuel efficient and/or MUCH easier and cheaper to maintain than 3-row SUVs.

Whatever you get, don't forget what you're giving up. Passive safety (i.e. taking a hit) is all well and good -- but if you get it at the expense of active safety (i.e. avoiding the accident in the first place), that's a problem. Big SUVs can take a hit, but they can't stop or turn, and they're more likely to roll over. The expensive ones are not as bad in those respects, but they're VERY expensive and super complicated -- and they STILL don't stop or turn anywhere near as well as a comparable sedan or wagon, which can usually take a hit almost as well.

Good luck.

Sorry, but it is nearly impossible to roll a modern SUV with stability control enabled.

Can't argue with physics, get the biggest you can afford. Chevy Tahoe has outstanding resale, Ford Expedition is wonderful with the ecoboosted powertrain.

I have nearly the miles of a tired trucker on me, one thing I have learned is you rarely see the "big one". Then you'll love a larger vehicle, especially if your wife and kids are in it.

Originally Posted By: Gito
Looking for an SUV that will get us good mileage and at the same time will be reliable.

Really want something that will be reliable, SAFE and can seat from 5-7 people, comfortably.

I have not purchased a brand new car since my 91 Honda Civic Si which went to 515k miles on the same engine.

Our family car is an 02 Silverado that currently has 315k miles. Wife purchased the truck(19mpg)new.
Wife's truck broke down yesterday, possible fuel pump/fuel regulator, and we just don't think that the truck should be the family car anymore.

I do own a 1970 280sel, 1979 300sd, and a 1988 300sel, all Mercedes, but the wife wants something newer.
She is not asking for much but I don't want to spend the money on a lame SUV that isn't reliable.
I would rather spend more money and give her something nice and reliable and SAFE, big plus if it can be worked on by a me (DIY)

Sorry...your post isn't making a lot of sense. What do you REALLY WANT? In the beginning of your post your saying you want an SUV-then at the end of your post your looking at Hybrids. I'm sensing your getting sticker shock on the new SUVs-thus your looking at other vehicles. Obviously-the Chevy Volt and Toyta Prius don't seat seven.

What is really important? What exactly is the budget? Decent mpg doesn't exist full size SUVs-even if they are better than they used to be. What kind of mpg would you like to obtain?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Look at the Toyota 4Runner. Lots of room and it actually drives really smooth.

Don't listen to Nick 1994. The 4Runner is possibly the worst riding vehicle available new with third row seating.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Don't listen to Nick 1994. The 4Runner is possibly the worst riding vehicle available new with third row seating.

And the mileage seems mediocre for the (4.0l) output. Likely high on the reliability list but if it doesn't hit the key needs I don't think its worth it.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Gito

Sorry...your post isn't making a lot of sense. What do you REALLY WANT? In the beginning of your post your saying you want an SUV-then at the end of your post your looking at Hybrids. I'm sensing your getting sticker shock on the new SUVs-thus your looking at other vehicles. Obviously-the Chevy Volt and Toyta Prius don't seat seven.

What is really important? What exactly is the budget? Decent mpg doesn't exist full size SUVs-even if they are better than they used to be. What kind of mpg would you like to obtain?

We also looked at the Hybrid Highlander, hybrid Malibu. Should of listed them all.
Really would prefer an SUV ( for additional storage) but we are open to large safe and reliable 5 seaters even if they are cars.

And yes, its hard to make a final decision.

You mentioned big safe suv type vehicle. Tahoe 4wd is the only thing I can think fits the bill.

OP's newest vehicle is 15 years old, he didn't mention a budget and he wants to be able to work on them. He wants a big safe SUV and has looked at Volts and Prius. As said, need to narrow the focus a little.

Seating from 5-7 people is apples/oranges in terms of vehicles. Lots of SUVs have available 3rd row seating, but it eats up most if not all of your storage capacity.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I have known a bunch of people who love Pilots and even ones with lots of miles seem to command good used prices around here.
I knew a guy who did very little maintenance and his Pilot somehow managed to live and prosper, his Forester was not so lucky and is barely surviving on life support.
I do remember that he complained about his Pilot's traction on ice after getting in a minor accident near work, but I looked at it on my way out that day and told him the next morning that his tires were nearly bald...he actually got a new set within a few days, don't think he ever repaired the body damage he had caused.

The new one seems to be consistently popular with the various media outlets. I see a lot of praise being given to it in a crowded sea of similar vehicles.

Chrysler Pacifica hybrid. Uses the same CVT setup as Toyota hybrids, i.e. no actual gears or pulleys are being actuated, all driven by two electric motors. All the space of even the biggest SUVs, excellent gas mileage, but it will probably tow very little and being an FCA product will get dismissed right away.

This is a useless topic without any more clarification from the OP...........

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

What year did you drive?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Sorry, but it is nearly impossible to roll a modern SUV with stability control enabled.

Didn't say they're rollover prone. I said they're more likely (or, if you prefer, less unlikely) to roll than an equivalent car. Higher CoG, more ground clearance = higher probability of riding up on something, higher-profile tires that are more likely to flex under, etc. Like you said, can't argue with physics.

You know that, though. So, when you say the rollover is "nearly impossible", I assume you really mean that the risk is "negligible". I can see that.

But that argument cuts both ways. Modern cars can take a hit so well, it's hard to imagine a situation where the added passive safety of an SUV would be noticeable. Why not go for a vehicle that's better at avoiding an accident in the first place? It'll be better to drive in every way, and cheaper to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back