Best sports city in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can even be biased in your opinions! Tell us what you think is the best sports city AND/OR region in the world, and why. Any reasons, really: teams, championships, fans, etc. I love sports, and I think it's great how they can pump up an entire city. College and high school sports can also be included. Feel free to be a homer for your teams; I think it'd be cool to see how fellow BITOGers feel about their teams. Gotta love a good sports city. So, I'll go first:

Detroit/Southeastern Michigan

All 4 major sports (basketball, hockey, baseball, football).

Tigers: went to the world series in 2006, and have been a competent team since then. This year, they won the American League Central division, and are deep into the ALCS. Both in 2006 and 2011, we beat the Yankees in playoff series also, including a deciding game 5 in New York this year.

Red Wings: 20 straight years of making the playoffs, 4 Stanley Cups since 1997, and a favorite to make the playoffs/win the Cup every single year. In my opinion, the Wings also have the best goal horn in the league
wink.gif

Pistons: went to the Eastern Conference finals 6 years in a row, including 2 trips to the Finals, and one championship in ’04.

Lions: one of the worst NFL teams in recent (and not so recent) history, BUT… still sold out the majority of home games during that awful streak, in the Pontiac Silverdome mind you, which was, for quite some time, the largest capacity stadium in the league. Now that the team is winning – yes, winning – the entire Metro-Detroit area has never been more ecstatic about the team. The Monday Night Football game this past Monday was the loudest, most insane event of any type I have ever been to!

College sports: Both the University of Michigan and the Michigan State University have good, competitive college football teams, as well as good basketball teams. Unlike many places in the country, Southeastern Michigan is one of the few places that has a die-hard fanbase for both professional and college sports. Additionally, we are a part of the U of M/Ohio State football rivalry, considered by many (obviously, depends on who you ask) to be the best sports rivalry in the world.

High school football: While this isn’t wildly popular here, it still gets talked about quite a bit on the local levels, and occasionally on the local radio station.

Auto racing: twice a year, we host Nascar events at MIS in Brooklyn, MI. And, returning next year, is the Indy Grand Prix on Belle Isle in Detroit. We also used to host other racing events on Belle Isle, as well as Formula 1 events in downtown Detroit.

Radio: Detroit has the number #1 rated sports talk show in the nation in the afternoon time segment. The morning and mid-day programs are also excellent; a great forum to debate and hear about our sports. I also feel that all of our play-by-play and color commentators on our games are great, on both radio and television.

All done!

Last edited:
+1 on including Boston. In seven years, the teams there have won the World Series twice, a Super Bowl, NBA Championship and of course the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup. I'd also include the other cities that have been mentioned here already. One thing for sure, it's hard to pick one.

What do you guys think about San Francisco as an honorable mention? (or better) The Giants have been doing good over the past couple of years (with a World Series win) and the 49ers are looking good for the first time on many years. Baltimore-Washington area seems to be decent.

By the way Klutch, you forgot to mention that the Lions are 5-0 and they are one of two undefeated NFL teams that are still left in the 2011 season (Green Bay Packers being the other)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Hotlanta?

That's another good city with the Braves and the (very edgy right now) Falcons. I have a friend in NC who's been a Falcons fan for over 20 years and drives me crazy all the time. So I make sure to razz on him when they lose!
grin.gif

Right now, I'd say its easy to be a Wisconsin sports fan. Between the Packers, the Brewers, and the Badgers football team, good times for the cheeseheads... (and why don't you have a brat and a brew while you're at it...)

The Sporting News rated Dallas/Ft Worth/Arlington the best:

Cowboys: 8 SuperBowls, 5 wins
Stars: Stanley Cup
Mavericks: NBA Championship
Rangers: one game away from their 2nd Consecutive World Series
FC Dallas: Playoffs again
TCU Horned Frogs: impressive win over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. A [gluteus] kicking served up by "the little sisters of the poor". See Cotton Bowl 1957 for a Frog stomp on Jim Brown's Syracuse team.
SMU Mustangs: finally emerging from it's death penalty
UTA: 8X Formula SAE winner over schools like MIT and Rochester....and wheelchair basketball championships. Hey, that's something. But 8X Formula SAE winner if you count motorsport.
Ft Worth Fire and Texas Brahmas: CHL championships.

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
+1 on including Boston. In seven years, the teams there have won the World Series twice, a Super Bowl, NBA Championship and of course the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup. I'd also include the other cities that have been mentioned here already. One thing for sure, it's hard to pick one.

What do you guys think about San Francisco as an honorable mention? (or better) The Giants have been doing good over the past couple of years (with a World Series win) and the 49ers are looking good for the first time on many years. Baltimore-Washington area seems to be decent.

+1. when we talk about best sports city,we HAVE to talk about winning sports teams. Boston is the place to be it seems. Detroit hasn't won anything in awhile.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
By the way Klutch, you forgot to mention that the Lions are 5-0 and they are one of two undefeated NFL teams that are still left in the 2011 season (Green Bay Packers being the other)

I know, but most people can't believe it, so why post it?
wink.gif
haha.

Boston but I also live here.

Fenway is always a blast to see a game especially my twenties. My employer in the late 90's had box seats to Bruins.

kansas city. always support the chiefs and royals no matter how bad they are. they even support the mls soccer team

its NOT NOT NOT Wichita Kansas. but we have some miss guided soles that dont know that. Wichita is a air craft town, we make the best air crafts there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back