Best Oil to Protect Timing Chain VW TSI 2.0 EA888 Gasoline Engine

Greetings to all of you!
I am looking to buy the very best oil to protect the timing chain of my 2013 VW Passat, 2,0 Turbo Gasoline Engine, most known as the EA888.
I am considering Motul 0W40, Mobil 1 0W40 and Castrol Edge 0W40
Any suggestions, tips, advice?

^^^^ The tensioners are the main issue on those. Yours being a 2013 it should have one of the revised tensioners but that is still no guarantee. As far as chains and oil go, I'm using a Euro oil that is both LL-01 and SN Plus or SP in our Ford with a chain. Both those specs have some specific chain wear tests to pass.

The only oils I'm aware of off the top of my head that have both those specs are QS Euro 5w40 and Pennzoil Euro 5w40.

^^^^ The tensioners are the main issue on those. Yours being a 2013 it should have one of the revised tensioners but that is still no guarantee. As far as chains and oil go, I'm using a Euro oil that is both LL-01 and SN Plus or SP in our Ford with a chain. Both those specs have some specific chain wear tests to pass.

The only oils I'm aware of off the top of my head that have both those specs are QS Euro 5w40 and Pennzoil Euro 5w40.
Not sure if Brazil had the 1st gen ea888 or the 2nd gen ea888, as the 2013 Passat in the US was totally different from RoW, as at that time, it had a 2.5L 5cyl or a VR6.

Greetings to all of you!
I am looking to buy the very best oil to protect the timing chain of my 2013 VW Passat, 2,0 Turbo Gasoline Engine, most known as the EA888.
I am considering Motul 0W40, Mobil 1 0W40 and Castrol Edge 0W40
Any suggestions, tips, advice?
Chain is not an issue, it was tensioner and yours should have updated one.
That being said, of those three:
1. Castrol
2. Motul.
3. Mobil1 (bcs. SAPS levels are really high).

Chain is not an issue, it was tensioner and yours should have updated one.
That being said, of those three:
1. Castrol
2. Motul.
3. Mobil1 (bcs. SAPS levels are really high).
You probably didn't notice 2 things:
1) OP claims to be from Brazil
2) the 2013 Passat in US/Canada don't have tensioner issues, since the only engines available were the 2.5L 5-cylinder and VR6. So the OP could have a 2nd gen EA888 with Valvelift.

1280px-VW_Passat_B7_2.0_TDI_DSG_Highline_Kaschmirbraun.JPG

You probably didn't notice 2 things:
1) OP claims to be from Brazil
2) the 2013 Passat in US/Canada don't have tensioner issues, since the only engines available were the 2.5L 5-cylinder and VR6. So the OP could have a 2nd gen EA888 with Valvelift.

1280px-VW_Passat_B7_2.0_TDI_DSG_Highline_Kaschmirbraun.JPG
1. Yeah, I saw he is in Brasil. So, not sure what the American version has to do with it?
2. Didn't Audi have a tensioner issue on their valve lift engines? I have no idea whether the 2013 EA888 has an updated tensioner for Brazilian market. Should be, but I don't know.

What does your manual say? Without knowing VW's recommendations I'd use
VW 504 00 approved oil and change it annually. Use low-sulfur ethanol free fuel
if/when available in Brasil. If VW 504 00 isn't available I'd use some synthetic
VW 502 00 approved oil, ideally along with BMW LL-01/LL-04 and/or MB 229.5
or 229.51. I remember VW has VW 588 00 which is not to be mistaken with VW
508 00 (0W-20). However VW 588 00 (5W-40) doesn't appear appealing to me.
With which approvals do these Motul 0W-40, Mobil 1 0W-40 and Castrol Edge
0W-40 you mentioned come with?
I have no idea if a 2013 Passat 2.0 TSI sold in Brasil came with a Gen 1 or Gen 3
EA888. I doubt it came with a Gen 2 version, as VW never build any EA888 Gen 2
equipped car that they sold either in NA nor in Europe. The second gen was an
Audi-only thing.
Guess Brasil uses ISO metrics. If it's 280 Nm at 1700/min or 1800/min it's an EA888
1G. If it's 320 Nm at 1300-1400/min or 350 Nm at 1500/min it definitely is a Valve-
lift equipped engine > either EA888 2G or 3G. Again, I don't know of any VW using
an EA888 2G but I'm not familar with Brasilian offerings.

Last edited:

Thank you KC.

Tensioner may have been the main issue but the chains definitely do wear. Familiarize yourself with the plug on the timing cover and check the tensioner extension periodically.

Not going to get into the oil type debate, but shorter oil changes with an approved oil will probably be your best defense.

Tensioner may have been the main issue but the chains definitely do wear. Familiarize yourself with the plug on the timing cover and check the tensioner extension periodically.

Not going to get into the oil type debate, but shorter oil changes with an approved oil will probably be your best defense.
Thanks a lot!

I doubt anything API adds much of value to an oil according to e.g. VW 504 00.
Sadly the OP didn't even put in an effort to answer my question.

The answer to your problem is a short OCI. Do a 5K mi OCI of any top tier full synthetic oil brand and enjoy driving your VW.

Back