Best oil for a low mileage JDM Subaru EJ20 engine?

I do not know anything about recent Subaru vintage engines.

But I did have a Legacy wagon, '95 with an EJ22 block and auto transmission. The oil cap and manual called for a 5W-30. I ran her on 5W-40 Rotella, conventional diesel oil for two OCI's. When she drained decently clear on second change with a fresh filter (Napa Gold if I'm remembering ok) I then kept her going with same filter and switched back to 5W-30 plain old Mobil-1.

No worries!

I do not know anything about recent Subaru vintage engines.

But I did have a Legacy wagon, '95 with an EJ22 block and auto transmission. The oil cap and manual called for a 5W-30. I ran her on 5W-40 Rotella, conventional diesel oil for two OCI's. When she drained decently clear on second change with a fresh filter (Napa Gold if I'm remembering ok) I then kept her going with same filter and switched back to 5W-30 plain old Mobil-1.

No worries!

I decided not to buy the 98, but I've always wanted an EJ22 wagon.

I decided not to buy the 98, but I've always wanted an EJ22 wagon.
She was a *TREAT*. Not as prestigious as a WRX. Not as nimble or brutal as a turbo STi. But she'd take you anywhere you pointed her nose with confidence. She was unstoppable in the snow and slick up to about where the nose skirt would drag on drifts. She'd dish out pain and speed in wet sand and loose terrain back roads. They are sure footed. Capable. Reliable.

Keep the differentials, engine oil and T-belts current. If you go in for the T-belt, let them swap your T-belt tensioners, oil and coolant pumps too. It's right there when the dust covers come off and why pay a teardown labor cost 2x? Other than that, my ONLY complaint was after I did the double clean HDEO clean-up? It got something dislodged. She wept oil from the cover gaskets like a fiend! Smokey at red-light stops in town when she was up to temp. It's TEDIOUS, as space is limited, but the valve cover gasket swap can be done in the driveway. It's a 3 can of beer job. ^.^

EDIT: I remember now too - she only *once* popped a coil pack on me. Did that in the parking lot with borrowed tools at a local AAP. And she got a knickity-knock on turns, she lost a front CV boot and bled out. I did drive her like that for months, but then swapped the whole axle with a reman. No other problems after that. I bought her, high mileage out of a "Buy Here - Pay Here" lot, so you know, not the best of shape. She soldiered on!

Last edited:
Ooohhhh! It's getting CAM 2 oil. Probably 5W-30 lol.

wolfox03SS, I haven't even gotten the car back yet and I'm excited about my EJ201. Reasons being;

1. The EJ25.. it just wasn't that good! I've had an EZ30 before. Loved it. That one was good.

2. The EJ25s blow head gaskets. From what I hear, EJ20s do not.

3. 59000km =36,660 miles. Amazing!

The 98 I looked at looked OKAY and had the hood scoop, but there was a gallon of antifreeze on the passenger floorboard.

I was just like. Bruh...

Needless to say, I never texted the guy.

(I once looked at a 96 Legacy for like $500 or so. Started her up.. big puff of candy-smelling smoke out the back. I don't even think I turned that car back off, I said "Thank you" and drove off.)

Did EJ22s have head gasket issues?

To JT20: Rock on!

I have a sibling that's sporting a Forest-green-metallic-grey EJ25. He asked me what oil could "Free it up and not burn so much?" I just....

I just....

Didn't have an answer outside of, "Does it run okay otherwise? Cool. Sell it NOW." I don't want to have to field the inevitable questions of "Why does my oil look like a milkshake and my coolant look like an Exxon-Valdez accident?".

Subaru on the sub-2.5 liter motors have their act air tight, IMO. But they went big and gnarly on the boxer flat-6's. They had some teething pains at first, but later on when they were sorted out, they were formidable and monstrous even when packed up as N/A, no turbines.

It bore out the simple fact that there is no replacement for displacement.

I would generally commend anyone on such a low mileage find. But I *think*, I am not totally certain on this one.....but the Japanese do not let engines languish in high miles for long, Their Gov't mandates engine swap/rebuilds at times where we think an engine only just reached being broken in. If not that, getting a new car is cheaper than compliance with their emissions standards. And... they have a displacement tax too. So they build power-dense, reliable motors.

I couldn't for the life of me - imagine my life there with my love for small block Chevys and 4000+LBS curb weight sedans. But of all Asian makes, my head and heart will always lust for a Subaru.

* Subaru's first road car was the model 250.
*Before those, they made Vespa style motor scooters.
*Subaru got their start as airplane manufacturers for their WWII war effort. The 4 cylinder boxer was the power behind their aircraft.
*Many small, single engine kit planes and retrofits use belt-drive, gear reduced EJ2x engines *still* to this day - nothing more reliable I hear!

To JT20: Rock on!

I have a sibling that's sporting a Forest-green-metallic-grey EJ25. He asked me what oil could "Free it up and not burn so much?" I just....

I just....

Didn't have an answer outside of, "Does it run okay otherwise? Cool. Sell it NOW." I don't want to have to field the inevitable questions of "Why does my oil look like a milkshake and my coolant look like an Exxon-Valdez accident?".

Subaru on the sub-2.5 liter motors have their act air tight, IMO. But they went big and gnarly on the boxer flat-6's. They had some teething pains at first, but later on when they were sorted out, they were formidable and monstrous even when packed up as N/A, no turbines.

It bore out the simple fact that there is no replacement for displacement.

I would generally commend anyone on such a low mileage find. But I *think*, I am not totally certain on this one.....but the Japanese do not let engines languish in high miles for long, Their Gov't mandates engine swap/rebuilds at times where we think an engine only just reached being broken in. If not that, getting a new car is cheaper than compliance with their emissions standards. And... they have a displacement tax too. So they build power-dense, reliable motors.

I couldn't for the life of me - imagine my life there with my love for small block Chevys and 4000+LBS curb weight sedans. But of all Asian makes, my head and heart will always lust for a Subaru.

* Subaru's first road car was the model 250.
*Before those, they made Vespa style motor scooters.
*Subaru got their start as airplane manufacturers for their WWII war effort. The 4 cylinder boxer was the power behind their aircraft.
*Many small, single engine kit planes and retrofits use belt-drive, gear reduced EJ2x engines *still* to this day - nothing more reliable I hear!

I ultimately want an SVX. EG33..

I'll read the rest when I have a little more time!! Just got back from lunch.

I wonder how Fuji Heavy Industries oops Subaru got their 5 star logo?

I wonder how Fuji Heavy Industries oops Subaru got their 5 star logo?

Safety.

Crack jokes all you like. A Scooby SUV or sedan is one of the safest things you'll have the worst luck getting into a wreck in.

1609785457396.png

:cool:(y)😍

Edit: For your enjoyment:

Last edited:

Subaru is the Japanese name for the "Seven Sisters" constellation. But....but....why are there 6 stars in the 7 sister's grouping of....

Bah, nevermind, re-check my post above for a video link to a Motorweek original review of the SVX. Yeah, sure, I blast around in a 5300+ LBS Silverado SS, but it's just a really nose heavy Subaru. :>

.>... that could tow another Subaru with a Subaru loaded in the bed. ^.^

EDIT: The beast in question...

20210104_141044.jpg

Last edited:
Subaru is the Japanese name for the "Seven Sisters" constellation. But....but....why are there 6 stars in the 7 sister's grouping of....

Bah, nevermind, re-check my post above for a video link to a Motorweek original review of the SVX. Yeah, sure, I blast around in a 5300+ LBS Silverado SS, but it's just a really nose heavy Subaru. :>

.>... that could tow another Subaru with a Subaru loaded in the bed. ^.^

EDIT: The beast in question...

View attachment 39295

^ This guy. LOL 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah but Silverados don't have Boxer engines lol? They do suck though... hmmm.

Yeah but Silverados don't have Boxer engines lol? They do suck though... hmmm.
No, they have iron block LQ-9's - LS III-gen derived monstrosity capped with high flow aluminum heads.

Indeed, they suck 6 liters of air/sec @ idle.

They suck gas to the tune of 16 *smiles* to the gallon, because I smile every time my right toe twitches on the noise pedal. And she's flapping noisy. I'm the guy idling out of my neighborhood past 10PM trying to NOT be THAT guy. ^.^

On the highway? She cackles, burbles, pops and bangs with 8' flames from true duals. Just the thing to pass protesting banner wavers on the side of the road promoting....whomever political figureheads. (No offense, anyone, but it's just silly now)

And come on...the sound of a hamstrung, well tuned and maintained small block V-8. She makes music! 🥰

Full time AWD, 35:65 split, rear biased. She digs in and launches, putting all she has down to ground, drama free. Eh? Eh? As I said, a Subaru, just heavier and noisier...um, yeah, compared to a real Subaru though, being fair and all - nowhere near as fuel efficient.

But I DO get those SVX like questions when out and about. Stopping for fuel I am a captive audience for all of 10 minutes.

Top 3 SS Questions @ The Pump:

1) Is that a real SS? (Loads of clones out there)
2) Can I look under the hood? (Yeah, I let them look there and even let folks sit in it and feel the steering wheel and play with the power goodies)
3) Is it for sale? I've got cash monies to give you right now. PLEASE sell it to me nao!

Top 3 Subaru Questions:

1) Can you roll your seat up? I'm cramping.
2) Can I put this (here) because I don't want it on my lap anymore.
3) Wow, how is this car is so quiet!? (But that's because they're on the rear seat with knees up over their ears)

J/K, all in good fun bro! Subaru's rock. :>

And the JDM engine:

(This is the one that needs the oil recommendation)
20210104_150109.jpg
20210104_150114.jpg
20210104_150125.jpg
20210104_150335.jpg

OMG, looks like carbon copy of my '95 EJ22, externally at least. I can poke at those photos and call out bits and bobs. ^.^ Though you do have a nasty bite out of the driver's side T-belt cover. I hope there's budget to at least fix that. Whut does the oil cap say? 30 or 20 grade lube?

EDIT: sticker before the alternator is a serpentine belt replacement # and interval. It says you're on your third belt and the "Beautification" date. (When it was replaced) and the next interval of mileage until next replacement in Km.

The sticker on the timing cover is a maintenance reminder. They want you to swap T-belts every 100,000Km. (I'm assuming it was never done)

Last edited:
Back