Best oil for a low mileage JDM Subaru EJ20 engine?

No, they have iron block LQ-9's - LS III-gen derived monstrosity capped with high flow aluminum heads.

Indeed, they suck 6 liters of air/sec @ idle.

They suck gas to the tune of 16 *smiles* to the gallon, because I smile every time my right toe twitches on the noise pedal. And she's flapping noisy. I'm the guy idling out of my neighborhood past 10PM trying to NOT be THAT guy. ^.^

On the highway? She cackles, burbles, pops and bangs with 8' flames from true duals. Just the thing to pass protesting banner wavers on the side of the road promoting....whomever political figureheads. (No offense, anyone, but it's just silly now)

And come on...the sound of a hamstrung, well tuned and maintained small block V-8. She makes music! 🥰

Full time AWD, 35:65 split, rear biased. She digs in and launches, putting all she has down to ground, drama free. Eh? Eh? As I said, a Subaru, just heavier and noisier...um, yeah, compared to a real Subaru though, being fair and all - nowhere near as fuel efficient.

But I DO get those SVX like questions when out and about. Stopping for fuel I am a captive audience for all of 10 minutes.

Top 3 SS Questions @ The Pump:

1) Is that a real SS? (Loads of clones out there)
2) Can I look under the hood? (Yeah, I let them look there and even let folks sit in it and feel the steering wheel and play with the power goodies)
3) Is it for sale? I've got cash monies to give you right now. PLEASE sell it to me nao!

Top 3 Subaru Questions:

1) Can you roll your seat up? I'm cramping.
2) Can I put this (here) because I don't want it on my lap anymore.
3) Wow, how is this car is so quiet!? (But that's because they're on the rear seat with knees up over their ears)

J/K, all in good fun bro! Subaru's rock. :>
[/QYou're awesome awesome
No, they have iron block LQ-9's - LS III-gen derived monstrosity capped with high flow aluminum heads.

Indeed, they suck 6 liters of air/sec @ idle.

They suck gas to the tune of 16 *smiles* to the gallon, because I smile every time my right toe twitches on the noise pedal. And she's flapping noisy. I'm the guy idling out of my neighborhood past 10PM trying to NOT be THAT guy. ^.^

On the highway? She cackles, burbles, pops and bangs with 8' flames from true duals. Just the thing to pass protesting banner wavers on the side of the road promoting....whomever political figureheads. (No offense, anyone, but it's just silly now)

And come on...the sound of a hamstrung, well tuned and maintained small block V-8. She makes music! 🥰

Full time AWD, 35:65 split, rear biased. She digs in and launches, putting all she has down to ground, drama free. Eh? Eh? As I said, a Subaru, just heavier and noisier...um, yeah, compared to a real Subaru though, being fair and all - nowhere near as fuel efficient.

But I DO get those SVX like questions when out and about. Stopping for fuel I am a captive audience for all of 10 minutes.

Top 3 SS Questions @ The Pump:

1) Is that a real SS? (Loads of clones out there)
2) Can I look under the hood? (Yeah, I let them look there and even let folks sit in it and feel the steering wheel and play with the power goodies)
3) Is it for sale? I've got cash monies to give you right now. PLEASE sell it to me nao!

Top 3 Subaru Questions:

1) Can you roll your seat up? I'm cramping.
2) Can I put this (here) because I don't want it on my lap anymore.
3) Wow, how is this car is so quiet!? (But that's because they're on the rear seat with knees up over their ears)

J/K, all in good fun bro! Subaru's rock. :>

You're awesome lol :)

I like L35 and L47 GMs myself. And I saw a big Expeess van vent out a cloud of smoke after hard acceleration in front of me lol..

OMG, looks like carbon copy of my '95 EJ22, externally at least. I can poke at those photos and call out bits and bobs. ^.^ Though you do have a nasty bite out of the driver's side T-belt cover. I hope there's budget to at least fix that. Whut does the oil cap say? 30 or 20 grade lube?

It says OIL. 🤣🤣🤣

OMG, looks like carbon copy of my '95 EJ22, externally at least. I can poke at those photos and call out bits and bobs. ^.^ Though you do have a nasty bite out of the driver's side T-belt cover. I hope there's budget to at least fix that. Whut does the oil cap say? 30 or 20 grade lube?

I think that cover is getting the swappy-swap.

I asked them if they could transfer the Kanji stickers or plates lol.

I want this car they have ;)

20210104_150342.jpg

That's a slick Merc inline. But *** happened to do a hood blanket like that?

Check back on my previous post, I translated the Kanji. (Roughly)

That's a slick Merc inline. But *** happened to do a hood blanket like that?

Check back on my previous post, I translated the Kanji. (Roughly)

Hehe.. I don't know. Was a customer's car.

Maybe a ton of coolant spray making it all chewed up??

I would go buying a black 1992 Benz from across town.. but it looks like this is going to be my car for awhile.

Your truck looks good!

Thanks!

But...

That's because I took photo that makes her look good. She's old and original. Clearcoat's failing miserably on hood, roof and bed rails. I already repaired and re-shot one panel and blended it in. The rest will follow when I can get at least 3 consecutive days of "Just right" weather and humidity. I'll then knock her out with rattle cans like I did the mentioned panel. (y)

Thanks!

But...

That's because I took photo that makes her look good. She's old and original. Clearcoat's failing miserably on hood, roof and bed rails. I already repaired and re-shot one panel and blended it in. The rest will follow when I can get at least 3 consecutive days of "Just right" weather and humidity. I'll then knock her out with rattle cans like I did the mentioned panel. (y)

All that means is that you have a Chevrolet.. particularly, a crappy Silverado ;) 🤣🤣🤣

Last Silverado in our family was a 1990 or 1991 "C/K2500" - Z71 4x4

All that means is that you have a Chevrolet.. particularly, a crappy Silverado ;) 🤣🤣🤣

Last Silverado in our family was a 1990 or 1991 "C/K2500" - Z71 4x4

Ooooh, d00d. Ouch! That hurts! >.SIZE]

They were kinda, well, yeah MEH. They did do magic on the GMT-800 platforms. They really schtupped the canid on the SS. They made only about 30,000 of them. I got #3004. I swear they just hand built them from whatever the parts bin regurgitated at that split second. Lots of manual tweaking, welding and bolting. But each. Every. One.

Unique.

But good goofy danged luck you can find OTC parts at yer AZ shoppe. Any of three different brake rigs on them. Any of SEVERAL U-joint and propeller shaft setups. For fuel and emissions bits, you have to mix-match in gasser HD2500/3500 parts bins. I've gotten and stay creative to keep her roaring.

If you bring it in for service for things you just cannot do without a lift? Install key-on active video cameras. The temptation to joyride is great, and I have some really, really funny video taken off my cams when it went in for brake line replacement. I quote; "Hooooo, d*mn! This truck gets out of it's own way."

The super, stupid awful truth is, if it ever goes in for tranny rebuild (eventually) it's hard to not get ripped off. They'll just steal your unit and replace it with a bolt for bolt compatible that is severely sub par. The 4L65E unit is indistinguishable from the standard 4L60E unit. The trick is deep in the internals. They'll ship it with a '60 unit and it's great. For all of a few hundred miles. The internals literally toque apart just putting it into reverse. :(

Then there are the hood rats. She's unfortunately worth much more in pieces than a whole rig. Tailgates, exterior body cladding, bumpers, the badges, grille and wheels, go missing. If they get access to the interior, the Bose++ system goes away, the embroidered seats, any and all dash plastic that has a logo on it and the *mirrors* of all things. o_O

When my rig gets eventually, involuntarily "scrapped" - I'll take my insurance check to the Subaru dealership. ^.^

Ooooh, d00d. Ouch! That hurts! >.SIZE]

They were kinda, well, yeah MEH. They did do magic on the GMT-800 platforms. They really schtupped the canid on the SS. They made only about 30,000 of them. I got #3004. I swear they just hand built them from whatever the parts bin regurgitated at that split second. Lots of manual tweaking, welding and bolting. But each. Every. One.

Unique.

But good goofy danged luck you can find OTC parts at yer AZ shoppe. Any of three different brake rigs on them. Any of SEVERAL U-joint and propeller shaft setups. For fuel and emissions bits, you have to mix-match in gasser HD2500/3500 parts bins. I've gotten and stay creative to keep her roaring.

If you bring it in for service for things you just cannot do without a lift? Install key-on active video cameras. The temptation to joyride is great, and I have some really, really funny video taken off my cams when it went in for brake line replacement. I quote; "Hooooo, d*mn! This truck gets out of it's own way."

The super, stupid awful truth is, if it ever goes in for tranny rebuild (eventually) it's hard to not get ripped off. They'll just steal your unit and replace it with a bolt for bolt compatible that is severely sub par. The 4L65E unit is indistinguishable from the standard 4L60E unit. The trick is deep in the internals. They'll ship it with a '60 unit and it's great. For all of a few hundred miles. The internals literally toque apart just putting it into reverse. :(

Then there are the hood rats. She's unfortunately worth much more in pieces than a whole rig. Tailgates, exterior body cladding, bumpers, the badges, grille and wheels, go missing. If they get access to the interior, the Bose++ system goes away, the embroidered seats, any and all dash plastic that has a logo on it and the *mirrors* of all things. o_O

When my rig gets eventually, involuntarily "scrapped" - I'll take my insurance check to the Subaru dealership. ^.^

Dude, I'm just trying to make fun of your truck lol. No 4L80E in that one?

I'm waiting for it lol

I've been reading BITOG long enough to know that the only thing an engine cares about is if you saved 50 cents on your oil and filter. ;)

/s

I'm not gonna lie, I want a 98-2000 GMT400 the Limited Edition one that's slipping my kind right now. Tahoe or Suburban Midnight Edition or something..

Dude, I'm just trying to make fun of your truck lol. No 4L80E in that one?

I'm waiting for it lol
No, they went lightweight in design decisions. The 4L80E is a fantastic gearbox, but heavier and much less efficient with throwing down what goes into it.. The SS is a bit of weight reduction, and speed bits - with heavy duty out towards the axles and wheels for longevity. They packed in 4:10 gears and remade the '60E units. They heat treat to harden various shafts using a powdered metal process. (Stronger and lighter). They went and added just ONE more clutch friction plate (I think) and substituted the standard 4-planetary gear packs with a hardened 5-planet rig. It simply spreads the punishment of the 6.0 against more surface area and rock-hard metals. But those changes are purely inside the box, and as I said, bolt for bolt, casing for casing - no discernible exterior difference between the two.

I'm not gonna lie, I want a 98-2000 GMT400 the Limited Edition one that's slipping my kind right now. Tahoe or Suburban Midnight Edition or something..

I'm thinking after I fix her clearcoat? I'll murder her out. Been practicing wheel painting on junkyard steelies.

Back