Best Oil for 5.0L Coyote

Thanks… Just throwing in my personal experience. Expected feedback to be brutal. Going from 5w-20 to 5w-30 makes a difference in oil consumption? I am surprised that Mobil 1 5w-30 does not have PAO, learned something there…
What makes pao so special?

The darkness is, likely, primarily the result of the DI. DI engines produce soot, which makes the oil dark. That's not reflective of the condition of the lubricant however.

Is the F150 5.0L engine DI?

For some reason I thought it was NA when I was researching (2015-16 timeframe) and a very good engine. That's before I decided to go with Tundra.

Is the F150 5.0L engine DI?

For some reason I thought it was NA when I was researching (2015-16 timeframe) and a very good engine. That's before I decided to go with Tundra.
It has dual injection now, both DI and port:

In 2018, Ford switched from the more traditional cast iron sleeves in the block to the Plasma Wire Arc Transfer cylinder liner technology. This increased the bore diameter from 92.2 to 93.0 mm (3.63 to 3.66 in) and brought up total displacement from 4,951 to 5,035 cc (302 to 307 cu in). The Gen 3 Coyote engine features dual-fuel, high-pressure direct injection with low-pressure port fuel injection and an increased compression ratio of 12.0:1. These changes are relevant to both the Mustang GT and F150 with 5.0 V8s.

For the 2018 Mustang GT, the Gen3 5.0 engine also was equipped with new camshafts, enlarged intake and exhaust valves, and a revised intake manifold, that moved redline to 7,500 rpm.

one shrinks, one expands, requires a perfect mixture ...
GRP III looks better & better. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
Group III is definitely less of a formulation challenge, that's one of the reasons it is so popular. It is also significantly less expensive. Nothing touches PAO in cold temp performance though, and POE has phenomenal oxidation resistance. Mix that with AN's to get even better solubility and reduce surface competition (an artifact of POE polarity) and you end up with a very potent combo. But, it's a lot more expensive and likely of very little advantage to Average Joe unless he's in Winnipeg or Fort Mac.

Our local Ford dealer sells Mobil 1. That's likely the simplest explanation.
Still with the high profile issue with the service bulletins it would be wise to follow the TSB. If you read the last two they are changing out the engine.

Still with the high profile issue with the service bulletins it would be wise to follow the TSB. If you read the last two they are changing out the engine.
Sure, but if a dealer can avoid doing a warranty claim for an engine just by changing the oil, clearly, that's the route they are going to go. Warranty work doesn't pay well and doing a longblock swap is a huge PITA.

Everyone works for someone or some company… Come on. Ford superseded their own TSB but kept on saying what oil to use.

Think the engine replacement is when oil consumption is found to be from cylinder wall damage. From @OVERKILL link on the Coyote:

"For 2018, Ford made numerous revisions to the 5.0 Coyote. Iron sleeves are gone. They were replaced with spray-on bore liners (that can't be redone in a local shop)."

What do you want to know? What you think is reality or the reality of working for Ford?
I'm not sure if that's rhetorical or not? My friend owns the FCA dealership I deal with. I have several good friends that are dealer mechanics as well as knowing two service managers extremely well. I am very well acquainted with how dealerships work on warranty work and what avenues are pursued before embarking on longblock replacement as well as the manufacturer's requirements for allowing such a claim to proceed.

I'm still not sure what your comment was meant to state, or imply, in the context of a dealer trying to avoid a longblock warranty job unless absolutely necessary? I'm not a fan of somebody being unnecessarily cryptic or vague. If you think you were being sufficiently clear, well, you weren't.

If I was a service manager and Ford was paying the bill I would not hesitate to take a warranty job. But this is all hypothetical as your thinking that the service manager would use Mobil 1 5w-30 to fix the problem. Like you said “Ludicrous”. The bulletin spells out every part and action to do. But then the other service bulletins ceded the earlier. Still continued with the Motorcraft 5w-20 oil recommendation when Motorcraft had 5w-30 available.

Must be nice to have those friends with Ford.

Last edited:
Back