Best Oil for 5.0L Coyote

Best oil for 2020 5.0L Coyote F150 engine? 62,xxx miles.
Occasional towing of 5 - 7 thousand pounds.
Have been running Mobil 1 with Motocraft filter.

Thanks so much.

Curious, what is the owner's manual recommendation?

I typically go one viscosity grade higher than OM.
2-
kind of one spec higher (more stringent) than OM especially if I have a fussy engine. This part may require some research, and
3-
~2500 miles lower (OCI) than OM. i.e. No 10K oci especially if di or trubo.

I was considering F150 with that engine and iirc it's NA and easy on oil. No?

Well, you can't go wrong with Mobil1. However, which M1 are you using?
And as OilUzer asks, what does the OM say?
My buddy's 2019 F150 Coyote calls for 5W20 so, that leaves a lot open for interpretation(conventional, blend, full syn).

Last edited:
Best oil for 2020 5.0L Coyote F150 engine? 62,xxx miles.
Occasional towing of 5 - 7 thousand pounds.
Have been running Mobil 1 with Motocraft filter.

Thanks so much.
If the above is working for you I wouldn’t change a thing. Now If you could get valvoline or castrol for less those are fine alternatives.

XW- 30wt. Using any quality oil your engine will never know the difference. Change the oil and other fluids regularly. What makes you think there is a best oil?

I would keep using the 5w-20 Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra filter. About any 5w-20 synthetic should work. The Motocraft filter should be fine too. Keep it clean is the best way to make the engine last a long time.

I think the good news is that all of these off the shelf name brand oils are pretty similar now. You usually don’t see wildly different configurations with their addictive packages, like we saw 10 years ago where Valvoline (and others) were running almost zero moly and instead used sodium. Now, it seems the choices are similar...with price/sales/rebates, being the difference maker. You might hear about “better” base stocks with some brands. You might hear about retaining TBN longer with some...some starting off higher and shedding quicker, whatever. But if you’re running 5,000-6,000 mile intervals, I’d go with whatever is on sale, and whatever quality filter on sale. Just my opinion.

I would keep using the 5w-20 Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra filter. About any 5w-20 synthetic should work. The Motocraft filter should be fine too. Keep it clean is the best way to make the engine last a long time.
5w30 Mobil 1. As a former ford tech when thr 5.0 would come in for oil consumption issues which was common, we used 5w30 and it stopped it. Also for 2021 model year, ford switched from 5w20 to 5w30. Just a food for thought.

5w30 Mobil 1. As a former ford tech when thr 5.0 would come in for oil consumption issues which was common, we used 5w30 and it stopped it. Also for 2021 model year, ford switched from 5w20 to 5w30. Just a food for thought.
Interesting. What was the oil prior to Mobil 1?

Food for thought… sounds like a seal issue. Mobil 1 changed the problem but now you are locked in on that oil and if you change back the oil problem will return. Sounds like any oil with the words “High Mileage” would fix the problem. But for the average Joe without oil consumption problems it may be that 5w-30 Mobil 1 might not be a good choice if you want to return to other oil brands. My personal experience was when I used Mobil 1 for the last OCI that did not leak. I gave the 2008 Miata to my neighbor to my neighbor and he used something else and the car started to leak. Coincidence maybe… but it is part of the equation of PAO/POE base oils.

i have an 18, 5.0. in my experience it is hard on oil, even after 5k miles the oil comes out very dark. between the high compression ratio, direct injection and 4 cams with 32 lifters. The oil is being abused a fair amount the only saving grace is the capacity, its holds 9 quarts with the composite oil pan.

Food for thought… sounds like a seal issue.
No it doesn't.
Mobil 1 changed the problem but now you are locked in on that oil and if you change back the oil problem will return.
That's ludicrous.
Sounds like any oil with the words “High Mileage” would fix the problem. But for the average Joe without oil consumption problems it may be that 5w-30 Mobil 1 might not be a good choice if you want to return to other oil brands.
He said the 5w-30 fixed the problem, did you read his post? He's saying that as a Ford tech, when trucks running 5w-20 would come in with consumption issues, they'd put the heavier 5w-30 M1 in them, and the consumption would stop.
My personal experience was when I used Mobil 1 for the last OCI that did not leak. I gave the 2008 Miata to my neighbor to my neighbor and he used something else and the car started to leak.
He never mentioned a leak.

Seal compatibility is seal compatibility, all oils have to be within the same range as defined by the API and ACEA.

Bill_W said:
Coincidence maybe… but it is part of the equation of PAO/POE base oils.
The current brew of M1 5w-30 has no PAO in it.
Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 11.07.24 AM.jpg

i have an 18, 5.0. in my experience it is hard on oil, even after 5k miles the oil comes out very dark. between the high compression ratio, direct injection and 4 cams with 32 lifters. The oil is being abused a fair amount the only saving grace is the capacity, its holds 9 quarts with the composite oil pan.
The darkness is, likely, primarily the result of the DI. DI engines produce soot, which makes the oil dark. That's not reflective of the condition of the lubricant however.

No it doesn't.

That's ludicrous.

He said the 5w-30 fixed the problem, did you read his post? He's saying that as a Ford tech, when trucks running 5w-20 would come in with consumption issues, they'd put the heavier 5w-30 M1 in them, and the consumption would stop.

He never mentioned a leak.

Seal compatibility is seal compatibility, all oils have to be within the same range as defined by the API and ACEA.

The current brew of M1 5w-30 has no PAO in it.
View attachment 102784
Thanks… Just throwing in my personal experience. Expected feedback to be brutal. Going from 5w-20 to 5w-30 makes a difference in oil consumption? I am surprised that Mobil 1 5w-30 does not have PAO, learned something there…

Last edited:
Thanks… Just throwing in my personal experience. Expected feedback to be brutal.
I had M1 5w-30 about 20 years ago, trigger a valve cover gasket leak on my 5.0L. That engine had cork VCG's, they were ROCK hard, and not as a result of the Mobil 1, just as a result of being original from 1987 and being exposed for almost two decades of heat cycling. The Tri-Syn formula (PAO/AN/POE) was capable of some mild cleaning and once the deposits that were preventing those VCG's from leaking were removed, the flood gates opened. I replaced them with the silicone ones sold for the Explorer and it was bone dry again.

The original Mobil 1 was indeed not as balanced as more modern formulas in terms of seal compatibility. The impact of PAO on seals wasn't as well understood back in the 1970's, but that was resolved with the addition of POE to balance it out somewhere around 30-40 years ago. I expect AMSOIL experienced the same issue. The API eventually developed standards for seal/gasket/elastomer compatibility to assure this was being properly addressed across the board, with all formulas.

What was the formulation of Mobil 1 in 2019 when it was SN, just curious?
Ewww, will have to see if I can find one. I have the MSDS from 2015 handy, which shows 20-30% PAO. I'm sure I've got a more recent one here somewhere, give me a few.

Ewww, will have to see if I can find one. I have the MSDS from 2015 handy, which shows 20-30% PAO. I'm sure I've got a more recent one here somewhere, give me a few.
October, 2021 is apparently the next one I have here. Ugh. Could check my other computer.

Back