best oil for 2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 turbo,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am inquiring about what oil would be best for Hyundai 2.0 turbo engines. My plan is to change the oil every 5000 miles. I'm asking because I have never owned a direct injection turbo engine and have no reference to how hard this car is on oil. I do know that 5W30 is preferred oil, manual doesn't say it requires synthetic. I have been told that the Hyundai oil filters are some of the best for the price, I do plan on using those. Thanks for any input, new car hasn't had oil changed yet, want to get off on the right foot. thanks for any information or advice in advance.

IMO Castrol Magnatec 5w30
There is a fellow member that has had repeated awesome UOA results in his twin turbo Ford V6.

Last edited:
I'd probably run a blend. There are some very good oils out there. Bottom of my list would be Pennzoil Yellow Bottle (PYB) which is a non-advertised synthetic blend with a very good reputation all around.

Moving up from there would take me to Quaker State Ultimate Durability (QSUD), and then up to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) ...

Motorcraft (MC) is a good syn blend made by Conoco Phillips.

You have a lot of choices. Someone will be along to say just put mobil1 in it... I'll leave that for others
smile.gif

Quaker State Syn-blend ay Wally World is 16.97, Quaker State full synthetic is only 21.97, with Pennzoil platinum being 22.65, and Castrol Edge at 25.17. are any of these much better than the others, price isn't really an issue all are relatively inexpensive. I guess I'm overthinking the need of a real clean running oil based on the direct injection and turbo. Again thank you, as I'm kinda new to this and information gives me peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: crgstvrs
Quaker State Syn-blend ay Wally World is 16.97, Quaker State full synthetic is only 21.97, with Pennzoil platinum being 22.65, and Castrol Edge at 25.17. are any of these much better than the others, price isn't really an issue all are relatively inexpensive. I guess I'm overthinking the need of a real clean running oil based on the direct injection and turbo. Again thank you, as I'm kinda new to this and information gives me peace of mind.

Oil can't clean the areas that develop deposits in direct injection engines.

I do understand that no oil is gonna "clean" valve depositsor combustion chambers. It was my impression that direct injection engines are akin to diesel engines with high compression, high fuel pressure, making them prone to dirty up oil quickly and also can have fuel dilution issues.

Last edited:
I do understand that no oil is gonna "clean" valve depositsor combustion chambers. It was my impression that direct injection engines are akin to diesel engines with high compression, high fuel pressure, making them prone to dirty up oil quickly and also can have fuel dilution issues.

It's because in direct injection the gasoline's detergents do not wash the valves. Nothing to do with being like a diesel.

Lots of theory surrounding TGDi and oil choice:

Low Calcium (LSPI possible issues)
Low Noack (helps control IVD issues through less evaporation)
Low TEOST (formulations less likely to cause deposits to begin with)
Low SAPS (limit sulfated ash content)
Conservative OCi ( fresh oil more important than syn vs conv)

I say, pick a favorite synthetic and sleep well. Although it's true, according to the Owner's Manual, and probably most average owners, synthetic isn't necessary.

Of the above list, the only issues I've read about is the first year Veloster Turbos 1.6T having LSPI. No widespread deposit issues.

Could you help explain why it is said fuel dilution and combustion byproducts tend to be higher in direct injection engines. I do plan to send oil to blackstone. Thanks for your input.

Could you help explain why it is said fuel dilution and combustion byproducts tend to be higher in direct injection engines. I do plan to send oil to blackstone. Thanks for your input.

GDi seem to dilute early on, becoming less so as the engine piles on the miles. But if you check the UOA section, rarely have i seen any abnormal wear numbers because of it. No matter what oil you use, nothing will stop the dilution if it's occuring,

With it being only an eight dollar spread I'm thinking 1st choice quaker state full synthetic at 21.97, 2nd. Castrol Magnatec, 3rd.Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Edge. I'll be sticking with Hyundai filters unless I get information to the contrary. Thanks everyone for your continued input.

another quick thing at looking at Castrol Magnatec online, they seen to have both a synthetic blend Magnatec and a full synthetic Magnatec listed on their site. is this a misprint or do they in fact have both.

another quick thing at looking at Castrol Magnatec online, they seen to have both a synthetic blend Magnatec and a full synthetic Magnatec listed on their site. is this a misprint or do they in fact have both.

The 0w20 and 5w20 Magnatec are full synthetics. And 5w30 and 10w30 Magnatec are synthetic blends.

Originally Posted By: SanProsan

The 0w20 and 5w20 Magnatec are full synthetics. And 5w30 and 10w30 Magnatec are synthetic blends.

+1

manual says QS , I would run QSUD 5w30 synthetic , very durable/stout oil for the price
my hyundai has lived for 270 K on it QSGB , but since menards has kicked QS to the curb I am trialing different oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back