Best o.t.c. conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I get all of this in the right order.

Chris: Warren distributes to some of the Wal-Mart stores. But they do not make the product.

csandste: Where to begin. The main difference is base stocks and additive packages. All Pennzoil basestocks come from the new refinery in Louisiana. This refinery is co-owned with CONOCO. All Pennzoil motor oil is either a Group 2+ or Group 3. The additive package for these products is propriatary to Pennzoil only. Quaker State base stocks are purchased from Exxon and are a Group 2. The additive package is pretty much standard industry specs. I know the specs on the SuperTech look close to Quaker State when new, but I believe you would see a difference when tested at 3,000 miles. They use different basestocks and additive package.

As for as I know, the SuperTech oil is the only private label oil that is made by this division.

Wolf's Head oil. Wolf's Head is a 125 year old oil company that begin in Oil City, PA. Same place Pennzoil and Quaker State started. About 12 years ago, Pennzoil bought Wolf's Head, but ran it as a seperate business. About 5 years ago, Wolf's Head was made part of Pennzoil and used as a price fighting oil. Since Pennzoil and Quaker State have become one company, the Wolf's Head is made at two blending plants. A Quaker State plant in Virginia and the Speciality plant in Louisiana. If you could run a test on this product from the two different blending plants, you would get two different looking spec sheets. Mainly basestocks and additive package. They are all very close in specs when new, but again, look at them at 3,000 miles. I have probably forgotten something, but I hope this helps.

Oh, I forgot one thing.

widman: I don't know much about Chevron passenger car oils, but I do know the Delo 400 is an excellent diesel oil.

I would like to add one more thing. The original question was what is the best over the counter conventional oil. Well, here is my final answer.

THE ONE YOU ARE USING. There is a brand for everyone just like there is a brand of automobile for everyone. I have read a lot about Mobil 1, but not much about conventional Mobil. I was raised in a Mobil family. My dad worked for Mobil for 40 years. When I was growing up, there was no one harder on a 56 Ford than me. All it ever had in it was Mobil Special 10W30. Never lost a motor.
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
For whatever it's worth, here's the datasheets for Wal-Mart dino. sent to me by Pennzoil/QS. They didn't send a syn. sheet even though someone else posted some syn. data on Edmunds.

Sorry to go off topic, but what (and where) is this Edmunds board you guys often speak about?

Patman:

Try edmunds.com
pat.gif
and click on "Town Hall". Enough auto forums there to keep most anyone busy.
grin.gif

[ June 02, 2002, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: harry31 ]

csandste: This might be a better question for Terry. I have been told that you can make SL oils with a mixture of Group 1 and Group 2 basestocks and beef up some of the additive package. This would be the least expensive due to the cost of the Group 1 basestocks. However, if you are one that wants to do extended drain, you could run into problems with the Group 1. NOW I COULD BE WRONG ABOUT THIS, but I think that some private label, or small compound blenders use this formula. I AM NOT REFERING TO SCHAFFERS. When the new spec comes out next year, oils will probably have to be Group 2+ and up. If they do not want to sacrifice wear for the enviorment, the price of oil is really going to increase. In the future, I see so called conventional oils selling for what synthetics do now, and a good synthetic doubling in price.

What my concern is (talk going around in the oil circles) is that when the new specs come out for the newer cars, what happens to the older cars. Oil specs have always superceded each other. In other words, if an oil use to say SF,SG,SH/SJ, you could use the SJ oil in any of them. With the new one coming on line next year, I'm concerned this won't be the case.

Terry-- If you're lurking on this thread, I'd like some input on SL's. BTW-- I realize in looking at various products' test results that all SL's aren't created equal. Schaeffer's, Pennzoil, and Chevron do look very strong.

Question for Johnny--

I've read that PZ/QS unloaded their Shreveport refinery--to an Indiana company (I'm not looking this up so excuse the lack of info.)

Is that the same company that makes the Wal-Mart lubricants?

The facility in Shreveport that makes the Wal-Mart oil is actually a blending plant, not a refinery. It is still in operation. The company that bought our refinery in Shreveport mainly produces industrial lubricants of some kind. Cutting oil, form oils, etc. The refinery in Shreveport that we sold had belonged to Pennzoil for at least 25 years. Long before the Quaker State merger. It was just not equipped to produce the Group II and Group III basestocks.

What is the difference between Pennzoil Synthetic and Pennzoil Dino. Is it only the Pennzane additive? Or are the base stocks different?

Chris,for what it is worth because of Walmart and availability Motorcraft is the best choice in my opinion.I would rather run the Chevron myself but cannot find it here where I live The two seem ohhhh so close..The Motorcraft/Conoco seems super good! $1.15 per quart at that!
smile.gif

My Dad just ran about 6,000 miles on Max-Life 10W30 in his 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis. If I had money to burn, I'd have a sample of it tested.
wink.gif

Anyway, He used Chevron 10W30 this time around. Gosh, that stuff is so clear, it's positively creepy! I spilled a couple drops and when I wiped them up with my finger, I thought it was water! Really hard to read the level on the dipstick as well!
shocked.gif

VaderSS: It's the base stock. Pennzoil conventional is a Group II+ and the synthetic is a Group III. The Pennzane is only in the synthetic. FYI, all Group II and Group III base stocks are "dino" oil.

What are the differences between Grooup II, II+, and III? Are both Group II+, and Group III made at Excel? BTW, My father works there. It is a very progressive workplace.

VaderSS: The main difference is the amount of hydrocracking they do for what purification level they want. Both base stocks are made at Excel. I know on the CONOCO side they produce the Group II for themselves and MotorCraft. Maybe someone else, but I'm not sure.

It is one impressive refinery. Probably the most up to date refinery in the country at this time.

I've toured the refinery with my father twice. If I could have picked anywhere to work in SWLA, it would have been there.

Just talked to my dad. He says Excel makes Group II only, but is about to do a trial run of Group III to see if it is economical. The Spec is that Group II has a minimym VI of 95 with Group III VI being around 120

Havoline motor oil now = Chevron Supreme ?

That appears to be the case. Data sheets are EXACTLY the same. They just updated the Havoline 4/02. Both are accessible through Chevron's data sheet search feature. You have to open the sales fax to get Havoline data.

This is good news since I can't find Chevron. Probably will try this next in the Jimmy after I get the supersyn analysis. 1/4 price of M1, highly refined group II, nearly same flash and pour as M1
shocked.gif
and 500ppm more Zn and 300ppm more P than M1.
cheers.gif

fruit.gif

Am I correct in assuming that Pennzoil, Conoco, Chevron Supreme, Havoline are all about equivalent?

Is Motorcraft manufactured to the same specs as Pennzoil/Conoco?

Are there other dino oils that use Group II+ for basestocks?

Are all Group II oils hydrocracked?

Or is only Group II+ hydrocracked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back