Best New Asian Mid-Size SUV Engine / Drive Train ?

The SH-AWD from Honda / Acura is in regular models like Pilot maybe others. I found Subaru AWD better however SH-AWD pretty amazing except deep snow.
Problem with Subaru are crappy tires that comes with. They are No.1 in the ditch here in CO when it snows.
Toyota became known for blah vehicles, but Subaru I think overtook them.

Reactions: JTK
My 2022 SH-AWD was amazing. The older version was slower and weaker.
Performance and behavior are the reason for my preference on the earlier versions of SH-AWD.

They removed what they called the accelerator, basically a planetary gear set and multiplate clutch pack that takes power from the driveshaft and is able to adjust how overdriven the rear wheels are relative to the front wheels by selecting between 2 different gear ratios. The accelerator was able to control torque split between the front and rear wheels very precisely. They also removed the 2 planetary gear sets that are found on both the left and right side of the rear drive unit, each of these 2 planetary gear sets have their own multiplate clutch packs, when the clutch pack is engaged it basically locks the planetary gear set and power gets transferred to the rear wheel that's connected to that particular gear set, because the power is mainly flowing through the pair of planetary gear sets instead of the clutch packs unlike most on-demand AWD systems they were able to constantly send decent amount of power to the rear wheels without overheating the system and make it perform more like a good permanent AWD system than a typical FWD based on-demand AWD system.

What is mid sized these days for an SUV. Nissan Rogue? The engines and drivetrain have always been good on them. The CVT is anyone's guess.

Performance and behavior are the reason for my preference on the earlier versions of SH-AWD.

They removed what they called the accelerator, basically a planetary gear set and multiplate clutch pack that takes power from the driveshaft and is able to adjust how overdriven the rear wheels are relative to the front wheels by selecting between 2 different gear ratios. The accelerator was able to control torque split between the front and rear wheels very precisely. They also removed the 2 planetary gear sets that are found on both the left and right side of the rear drive unit, each of these 2 planetary gear sets have their own multiplate clutch packs, when the clutch pack is engaged it basically locks the planetary gear set and power gets transferred to the rear wheel that's connected to that particular gear set, because the power is mainly flowing through the pair of planetary gear sets instead of the clutch packs unlike most on-demand AWD systems they were able to constantly send decent amount of power to the rear wheels without overheating the system and make it perform more like a good permanent AWD system than a typical FWD based on-demand AWD system.
No they didn't. They just increased the ability to over-drive the outside wheel. And improved bias to 70% to rear possible.

Good to know ! ... I do appreciate the higher 8.8" ground clearance of the CX-9 , so hopefully the CX-90 has similar clearance (i.e. more SUV than car like).

The Mazda CX50 has up to 8.6” of ground clearance and fits nicely in the “mid size” category. It is just shy of the CX9’s ground clearance without the size. The CX50 “Meridian” is at the top of the list for my wife’s next car.

2899704D-B7A9-4C35-B5EE-812A78C1F814.jpeg

No they didn't. They just increased the ability to over-drive the outside wheel. And improved bias to 70% to rear possible.
The RL which had the unit in reference already was at a 90% rear bias. The point that got lost in the wall of text, was the first gen unit in the RL was effectively a full time AWD unit.

The MDX launched at that time did not, and now the current gen SH-AWD units are up to 70%.

sidenote:
Friends dont let friends share AMP Articles.

Do you have a preference for where the vehicle is manufactured?
No , only new Asian SUV's being considered ... My short list is a Hyundai Santa Fe Hybrid (no 3rd row = more flat cargo space) and a Kia Sportage Hybrid . Both Hyundai and Kia engines are GDI engines plus the electric motor in each which boosts the horsepower & torque as well as increase MPG . *I'm not fond of GDI engines - but if I have easy access to the throttle body I can keep intake valve deposits under control . A Wild Card could be a Mazda CX5 or 9 , Toyota RAV 4 and maybe a Honda Pilot .

We're exceptionally pleased with our Hyundai Smartsream 3.8L V6 and it's 8spd A/T. Plenty of power, decent MPG and smooth shifting transmission.

Last edited:
Back