Best New Asian Mid-Size SUV Engine / Drive Train ?

Most of the late model mid - size SUV's have nice interior features , electronics , etc. but when you "peel back the onion" and start looking at the engines / drive trains of mid-size SUV's the choices become more of a challenge : Hyundai / Kia have a fairly nice Lambda 3.8L GDI engine in the large SUV segment Telluride / Palisade - but their Theta , Smart Stream and Gama GDI engines in the mid - size SUV's are too problematic . Honda SUV's can be associated with transmission issues and Toyota has an engine or two to be avoided in their SUV's . *Yes , all makes of mid - Size SUV's can experience engine / drive train defects - but there SHOULD be a couple of newer mid - size SUV's that stand out from the crowd as having above average engine / drive train reliability . Under consideration fora new mid-size SUV : Mazda CX-5 / CX-9 , Honda Pilot , Honda CR-V , Toyota Highlander , Toyota RAV-4 , Nissan Rogue . **If not for the potential Hyundai engine issues - the Kia Sportage and Sorrento as well as the Hyundai Sante Fe would be in consideration . With the exception of the new 8 - peed dual clutch Hyundai / Kia transmission , their 6 - speed and 8- speed transmission get good reliability marks ... So , now on to your comments and suggestions : Which newer mid - size SUV's have the best engines & drive trains ?

The 2.4T Toyota/Lexus from the NX is supposed to go into the tacoma and 4Runner. I’d lean heavily towards Toyota working the kinks out of that very quickly. Not a chance they let their golden goose choke.

I would have to say the Mazda 2.5, both naturally aspirated and turbo since the engine has been proven over the years. The Toyota Dynamic Force 2.4 is another one. While it’s newer it has a lot of Mazda in it. It is becoming the main engine for Toyotas latest offerings.

yup

even though it is not yet for sale, cx 90 with inline 6 is going to be quite a nice vehicle. much nicer than the usual suspects. and reliable. and better driving too. it replaces the cx-9 and will be for sale soon.
and yup

I would have to say the Mazda 2.5, both naturally aspirated and turbo since the engine has been proven over the years. The Toyota Dynamic Force 2.4 is another one. While it’s newer it has a lot of Mazda in it. It is becoming the main engine for Toyotas latest offerings.
*My son has a CX-3 that has been bullet proof (and fun to drive !) ... Thanks for the CX-5 recommendation (wife thinks a CX-9 is a little large) .

even though it is not yet for sale, cx 90 with inline 6 is going to be quite a nice vehicle. much nicer than the usual suspects. and reliable. and better driving too. it replaces the cx-9 and will be for sale soon.
Good to know ! ... I do appreciate the higher 8.8" ground clearance of the CX-9 , so hopefully the CX-90 has similar clearance (i.e. more SUV than car like).

Subaru is really the only True AWD. Why is there really is there really a question?
SH-AWD has trickled down to the Hondas now in VTM-4 guise. These are far more sophisticated compared to most Subarus which lack the ability to truly torque vector.

Reactions: Ws6
Subaru is really the only True AWD. Why is there really is there really a question?
The SH-AWD from Honda / Acura is in regular models like Pilot maybe others. I found Subaru AWD better however SH-AWD pretty amazing except deep snow.

Mitsubishi Montero from 1997-2000 if you can turn a wrench you can fix it. parts are hard to find sometimes though. no touchscreen or canbus system to break

Honda SUV's can be associated with transmission issues

That hasn't necessarily been true for years now. I haven't heard anything bad about the 10 speed, and the 9 speed (ZF) was a solid unit with somewhat funky programming from what I understand that gave it a black eye as far as driveability, but I don't think either one of those was the 'grenade with the pin pulled' that early 3 shaft units were behind the V6's.

Reactions: Ws6
Back