Best local/mail order oil for turbo Saab 9.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Application is 2006 Saab 9.3 2.0 Turbocharged. Has upgraded intake, and i will be getting the ECU flashed and running more boost soon. I always use Purolator PureOne oil filter.

So i'll be honest, reading all these UOA's and knowing if i need more ZDDP (for example) is clearly a fine art that i dont fully understand, so i ask for your knowledge and opinion. Locally the best choices i have are Pennzoil PurePlatinum (natural gas oil), Shell Rotella T6, Amzoil Euro, Castrol edge euro (says "made in Germany"), and of course Mobil1 euro (meh).

But lately some of my parts sites have started carrying Pennzoil PurePlatinum "Euro Car", is there any diffrence other than the weight? And also now BIZOL, the "High tech synthetic". I don't know ANYONE who has ran this stuff, because i live in redneckville (lol). So please, teach the ways oh wise ones, lol.

Thanks in advance!
wink.gif

Last edited:
When i had my 04 9-3, I was very happy with M1 0w-40. With the 135i, Ima bit more sensitive to NOACK, so im
Running PP GTL 5w-40. Dont see a need for that in an ecotec 9-3.

Edge and edge hm.

It is the best with the most.

Taking every new oil formula into consideration.

Plenty of zinc in any major new motor oil formula for any engine.

No worries there...
cool.gif

Isn't this just a GM engine? Not a real Saab engine, just an Ecotec that calls for dexos1. Napa Synthetic 5w30 will be a great fit for your car, and it's still only $2.99 a quart at Napa
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Isn't this just a GM engine? Not a real Saab engine, just an Ecotec that calls for dexos1. Napa Synthetic 5w30 will be a great fit for your car, and it's still only $2.99 a quart at Napa
smile.gif

It is a turbocharged, modified ecotec engine. GM was not using a turbo ecotec yet. It's in a Saab, so i'm guessing it's a Saab engine *rolls eyes*

I would look no further than a 0/5w40 Euro A3/B4 synthetic regardless of brand. They will all behave the same.

As mentioned, check your local Autozone for deals and buy whatever you can.

Originally Posted By: randomdude
smile.gif

It is a turbocharged, modified ecotec engine. GM was not using a turbo ecotec yet. It's in a Saab, so i'm guessing it's a Saab engine *rolls eyes*

I like to think of the GM Ecotec used in the Saab as a "Glorified Vauxhall / Opel unit," going on to say, "You might as well just buy a Vauxhall / Opel / Holden Astra, Zafira (etc)."

That said, I think GM pinched a bit of Saab's technology for this engine, including the Trionic ignition system and boost management.

Originally Posted By: B320i
Originally Posted By: randomdude
smile.gif

I like to think of the GM Ecotec used in the Saab as a "Glorified Vauxhall / Opel unit," going on to say, "You might as well just buy a Vauxhall / Opel / Holden Astra, Zafira (etc)."

That said, I think GM pinched a bit of Saab's technology for this engine, including the Trionic ignition system and boost management.

You are probably close with the "glorified Opel unit" comment. However, we have not the option of "just buying a Opel... (etc)" here in the US where i reside. Ergo, I drive the Saab model
wink.gif
. And yes, they did pinch a bit. Just as Ford did with Volvo when they purchased them.

It was a Saab designed and spec'd engine, with some production done by GM/Opel. Like the aptly named "world engine" in the Dodge Caliber SRT, which was designed and spec'd by SRT, with some production done by Mitsubishi and Kia/Hyundai, which Hyundai also used the engine in their Genesis turbo R model.

I was hoping to get some feedback on the Bizol, oh well.

The GM spec from the day supersedes to Dexos 2. Dexos 2 is good value here so I'd use that. If you can get an A3/B4 lube cheaper, take your pick.

Last edited:
^^Dexos2^^ is the only oil my sludge prone (but clean
smile.gif
) Saab 9-5 ever gets. After several oil changes my fuel economy has improved over 10%, now back to the OEM spec
smile.gif
with 160,000kms on the clock. Very happy with that.

In specific: Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 or Shell Helix Ultra AG

Both of which meet the spec and looking at the TDS, I suspect are the same oil... Same oil is sold in the America's as Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30

Regards
Jordan

P.S: Not sure if like the 9-5 the 9-3 has an oil cooler. If it does, drop it each oil change. On the 9-5 it holds about 1L of oil. given the sump is only 4L, that's 20% of oil that otherwise doesn't get changed!!!

Last edited:
VW spec 504/507 is also a great 0.6% ash oil (dexos2 is 0.8%) that meets A3/B3/B4. The ford spec low saps oils are not suitable for the Saab H-Engines.

504/507 oils just tend to be more expensive. All the majors and even boutique blenders make theae oils. And if the local parts store doesn't stock it I'm sure they can order it in.

J. Allen

I had a 900 SE turbo and a wise Saab mechanic recommended Rotella T6 5w-40. Durable, tough oil for a hard use application.

Personally, I'd just stick with M1 0w-40 and call it a day. I've also used the Castrol 0w-40 Belgian/German product. I don't think you could go wrong with either. I've bounced between the two for our Saabs and lately with the M1 rebates that's the brand that has won out.

Our 2000 has had a steady diet of M1 and has had no sludging issues, no consumption, etc. Runs great to my eyes and ears but I'm not an expert...just a longtime DIY-er who thought another Saab owner's experience might help.

Originally Posted By: Lucky
I had a 900 SE turbo and a wise Saab mechanic recommended Rotella T6 5w-40. Durable, tough oil for a hard use application.

While I appreciate the comment, the 900 engine is a TOTALLY different world all together, even though both are 2.0 turbo. 9.3 is a ecotec.

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
^^Dexos2^^ is the only oil my sludge prone (but clean
smile.gif
) Saab 9-5 ever gets.

*So which dexos2 oil do you use? *

In specific: Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 or Shell Helix Ultra AG

Both of which meet the spec and looking at the TDS, I suspect are the same oil... Same oil is sold in the America's as Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30

*I'm in the states, so we dont have the helix named oil's, just Rotella T4/5/6. which are you saying is the same as the PP euro? and whats the L mean? thanks!

Regards
Jordan

I actually just picked up a 2007 9-3 2.0T with the 6 speed...60th anniversary edition 125k on the clock and so far I love it. My brother has a 2001 9-5 LPT (low pressure turbo) H engine with over 200k. Both very nice cars. I use an AcDelco filter and the Castrol Edge 0W40. I also added a can of Lubro-Moly MOS2 or whatever it is friction modifier to make the total 6.3 quarts. I think for the summer it will get the Rotella T6. Not that theres much of a difference Im sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back