Best "high mileage" oil to stop leaks...

Regular high mileage or extended performance high mileage, the EP high mileage is actually cheaper after rebate.
I went with regular Mobil 1 HM, didn’t know the rebate structure was different with EP. a good deal none the less.

New oil and filter are in and I had it tagged and registered this morning. Wifey baby and I will take her out for a spin (including highway) this evening. This will be the first time driving it above 40. Hope it goes well!

Maybe you should take it for a long drive without the family first, JIC. 🤷‍♂️
,New oil and filter are in and I had it tagged and registered this morning. Wifey baby and I will take her out for a spin (including highway) this evening. This will be the first time driving it above 40. Hope it goes well!

New oil and filter are in and I had it tagged and registered this morning. Wifey baby and I will take her out for a spin (including highway) this evening.
Maybe you should take it for a long drive without the family first, JIC. 🤷‍♂️
Drove like a champ other than a shimmy at highway speeds. May need to have the tires balanced.

Precisely, it's like some of these guys are in their own little world. I want to see them actually take apart an old vehicle (and all the risks entailed when things don't come apart nicely after 2+ decades) for small leaks/seeps, rather than at least give HM oil a shot. I don't know if it's an OCD thing, because it's not based on logic. If it works it works. It's not even as if it is a large price premium.
Exactly.

On my old slant 6, I've had the very best results with QS HM 10w40. After fixing the worst leak a few years ago, I had tried Maxlife, Castrol and Havoline HM's without much benefit. Some of them were 10w30's however. No obvious evidence of oil burning.

Update. We have driven the Taurus roughly 6000 miles since I started using M1 HM 5w30. During that time I have not experienced any oil dripping on the ground and the vehicle appears to consume about a quart every 5000 miles. Not bad IMO for 212K miles on the car.

5w30 maxlife stopped small seepage in my 2011 Silverado, never thought it would work been using it ever since. Nice not to have oil stains in the driveway. Maxlife actually works.
I agree, i tried Maxlife 10W-40 Syn-blend ( Euro A3/B4 version ) and definitely it slowed down a few small oil weeps my engine had quite a bit, also notceably quietened down the hydraulic lifters.

The best oil to stop leaks is to replace the seals and gaskets, then use the same oil the car used to achieve 207k miles.
Of coarse, and when your talking gaskets it’s always going to be best to replace. As for seals that are particularly hard to get to I’ve had awesome results using high mileage oil to stop a rear main leak in my experience. I have a 94 ford E150 that started to have a drip from the rear main. It was very minimal but mobile 1 high mileage eliminated it completely. This has been over 6 years ago, still no drip ever. This was a very small leak. I’m talking smaller than a dime after sitting for a few days. I think it only leaked when the oil was very hot and even then very little so when you parked it you would get like 1 drip before it stopped and cooled down. Regardless it was the rear main seal and high mileage oil obviously conditioned that seal.

Use whatever oil you'd like, with AT-205 reseal additive. This stuff actually works vs most snake oil. It softens/expands dried out rubber seals, like a main.

Back