Best flowing xw30 oil at the 40-50F Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently acquired an 04 prius, originally spec'd for 5W30. I do know that Toyota has given the green light for 20 weight oils., But I would like to stick with 30 weight oils.

In the Western washington region where I live, morning temps range from 40-50F for most of the year. Therefore, my question is which over the counter xw30 oil flows best at these temperatures?

Do you mean the caterham blend? Then yes, but I dont want to play crazy chemist. Prefer to use something in a way the oil manufacturer intended.

Thank you. But do we have data available to ensure that is the best flowing oil in that temperature range?

I vaguely recall reading something which said in certain temperature ranges regular Mobil 5w30 flowed better than a 0w30, or am I just imagining things?

Havoline or QSUD 5w-30 are both on the thin side and are reasonablely priced, easy to purchase, and can often be found on sale. If you want to split hairs, and stay Xw-30 look at either one of them. Not sure it makes much difference in real world performance, but numbers are in favor of being on the thin side...

40-50 range isnt much a problem for any quality synthetic. Redline 0w30 would be overkill but if money is plenty then go for it. I would also consider German Castrol 0w30 or M1 as a back up.

If you're not interested in blending (although simply changing brands results in a blend) then Sustina 5W-30 with it's 193 VI and KV40 of 51.48cSt would be the lightest 0W/5W-30 on start-up at 40F.
Of course Sustina while readily available is still not exactly an OTC choice.
Next would be what 05LGTLtd mentioned, Havoline Syn 5W-30 with it's 177 VI and 53.5cSt KV40.

"I vaguely recall reading something which said in certain temperature ranges regular Mobil 5w30 flowed better than a 0w30, or am I just imagining things?" [/quote]

I don't ever recall reading that M1 5w30 flowed better than AFE 0w30 but I do remember reading (about a year ago) that PP 5w20 flowed better than PP 0w20 at approx. 0*F. I'm not sure if this is still true with the latest version of PP.

Does anybody know when the formula for PP changed?....I ask because I'd like to pick up a few qts. at K-Mart to mix with some older PP (to have a complete OCI's worth)...My older stuff is dated 2/13...

Originally Posted By: bk111
I vaguely recall reading something which said in certain temperature ranges regular Mobil 5w30 flowed better than a 0w30, or am I just imagining things?

Yes, I've posted that before. As has Caterham, as I recall.

M1 5w30 has a KV40 of 61.7, and a VI of 172.
M1 0w30 has a KV40 of 62.9, and a VI of 166.

This means that at 40F, the 5w30 will have a viscosity of 368 cSt, and the 0w30 will have a viscosity of 391 cSt.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Yes, I've posted that before. As has Caterham, as I recall.

M1 5w30 has a KV40 of 61.7, and a VI of 172.
M1 0w30 has a KV40 of 62.9, and a VI of 166.

This means that at 40F, the 5w30 will have a viscosity of 368 cSt, and the 0w30 will have a viscosity of 391 cSt.

A_Harmon:
How would those numbers (cst) look at 0*F or in the single digits farenheit (as that's as cold as I'm likely to see)...same question for PP 5w20 and 0w20 if you know the answer? Thanks

Do you mean the caterham blend? Then yes, but I dont want to play crazy chemist. Prefer to use something in a way the oil manufacturer intended.

The Caterham blend really is pretty easy and not exactly playing chemist. I haven't seen any epic bad uoas from it. To get what you're after its the answer.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If you're not interested in blending (although simply changing brands results in a blend) then Sustina 5W-30 with it's 193 VI and KV40 of 51.48cSt would be the lightest 0W/5W-30 on start-up at 40F.

I did not know it's VI was that high (matches the RLI 0W-30).

But the RLI might still be a superior product IF one does not need a low 30 weight HTHSV.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back