Best Filter These Days?

That you want to avoid using an AC Delco filter. Ok fine but isn't this still under warranty? Your 10K OCI probably wouldn't fly if an oil related engine warranty claim came up.

The manual says to use the Oil Life Monitor to determine oil change intervals and to change to the oil within 500 miles of the "Perform Oil Change" warning. It also says that under severe service conditions to change the oil in 7,500 mile intervals. I drive mostly highway so 10k miles doesn't seem too far fetched.

I drive alot of miles (25-30k per year) and its mostly highway so I'll be out of warranty in about 2 years. I tend to drive my vehicles into the ground and get between 200-300k miles out of them.

Fram Ultra seems to have the best efficiency however FRAM seems to have consistent quality control issues. Over the years I seen constant videos of rust, gunk, etc.

I was considering switching to FRAM and checked out a filter at Walmart and there was metal and what seemed like plastic bits on the threads and inlet holes. So for me I will not switch to FRAM because of this.

Mobil 1 oil filters are 99% at 30 Microns
Purolator One is 99% at 20 Microns
Purolator Boss 99% at 25 Microns

I personally will be settling for one of them or sticking with AC Delco.

Fram Ultra seems to have the best efficiency however FRAM seems to have consistent quality control issues. Over the years I seen constant videos of rust, gunk, etc.

I was considering switching to FRAM and checked out a filter at Walmart and there was metal and what seemed like plastic bits on the threads and inlet holes. So for me I will not switch to FRAM because of this.

Mobil 1 oil filters are 99% at 30 Microns
Purolator One is 99% at 20 Microns
Purolator Boss 99% at 25 Microns

I personally will be settling for one of them or sticking with AC Delco.
Aren't the AC Delco ones made by Fram?

The mobil 1 is also made by Champion labs, who are now owned by First Brands - AKA Fram?

So if Fram quality bothers you - it should with those also.

Purolator is now owned by M&H.

Welcome to 2023 :mad:

Aren't the AC Delco ones made by Fram?

The mobil 1 is also made by Champion labs, who are now owned by First Brands - AKA Fram?

So if Fram quality bothers you - it should with those also.

Purolator is now owned by M&H.

Welcome to 2023 :mad:
AC Delco is made in the Champion factory, FRAM has it's own factory. Just because they are owned by the same parent company does not mean they are the same filter. Just look at the AC Delco PF47E cut open and compare it to the FRAM PH3387A, completely different filters for the same application and same price range.

Mobil 1 is made by Mann+Hummel, their warranty literally states Mann+Hummel.

AC Delco is made in the Champion factory, FRAM has it's own factory. Just because they are owned by the same parent company does not mean they are the same filter. Just look at the AC Delco PF47E cut open and compare it to the FRAM PH3387A, completely different filters for the same application and same price range.

Mobil 1 is made by Mann+Hummel, their warranty literally states Mann+Hummel.

Perhaps so but as the consolidation goes you will see the same media and other components. Different paint job and brand label will be the only difference. There has already been changes in manufacturing locations including overseas.

Perhaps so but as the consolidation goes you will see the same media and other components. Different paint job and brand label will be the only difference. There has already been changes in manufacturing locations including overseas.
I have seen some pictures of recent FRAM Extra Guards actually using Champion cores and metal end caps. Over 2 weeks now and FRAM has not responded to an email to confirm if this is temporary, permanent or counterfeit.

If FRAM actually starts using Champion designs for their lower end filters then that is a step forward for FRAM in my opinion as long as they get quality control issues solved.

I do not think we will be seeing any frankenstein or mixing components when it comes to AC Delco E Cores (Unless GM switches suppliers) or other Champion made oil filters.

We will see as time goes on though.

Sadly , it's the norm for FRAM products .

It sounds like the filter housing on my wife's Jeep GC. I have not had any problems with it however extreme care is taken when tightening it down. I prefer the Fram Ultra filter for everything I have except the Jeep gets a Mobile 1 cartridge type of filter.

Yes, the Toyota cannister filter housing is a composite material. They seem to be very prone to problems due to over tighrening and the heat cycles. Regardless, they can be troublesome.
Here's my post...
Got ya ... the term "composite filter" didn't elude to the filter cap, but rather the filter itself.

I noticed when these types of threads pop up most people suggest canister style filters.

Are there any brand cartridge style filters that are “better” than an OEM manufacturer?

But none of the car manufacturers make filters...
No they don’t but for Toyota they contract it out to denso, and tell them to make it to a specific spec. This is why denso filters are and look like junk compared to the Toyota oem denso filters

Back