What is your favorite premium oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be lazy but does anyone know the specs on the Purolator Boss? Seen one at Auto Zone last week and I wasn't able to really find any info on it (filtration efficiency and at which micron).

Not trying to be lazy but I'm on vacation and my service out here is pitiful).

If I'm paying full price...Fram Ultra is my first choice...The Bosch Distance Plus filters that I purchased for $3 at Walmart are my current favorite filter.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Not to be lazy but does anyone know the specs on the Purolator Boss? Seen one at Auto Zone last week and I wasn't able to really find any info on it (filtration efficiency and at which micron).

See this post: LINK

The Purolator ONE (blue can) has the highest efficiency.

Thank you for your time I do appreciate it! I googled it the night I seen one at the store and there wasn't much info on it at all beyond (99% efficiency).

It looked pretty good in store but I guess looks can be deceiving.

Diesel = CarQuest Blues by Affinia (WIX) or Clarcor (Baldwin), WIX, or NAPA Gold.

Gasoline = FRAM Ultra

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It was Mobil 1, it is now Fram Ultra.

+1

Why? Prior M1 efficiency & construction, I don't think I ever saw a poor construction M1 cut open.

Why the change? The lowered efficiency of the M1 with the "A" suffix with the poor pleat spacing of the cut open M1-210A here on BITOG.

However I too have found NOS CQ Blue filters that either match the standard Wix if manufactured by Wix or are basically a Fram TG with metal end caps and in my applicatiobs a Champ Labs BPV like on a M1 filter instead of the typical Fram BPV. These are great for my applications with max 10K / 1 year O/FCI so there are now a number of these in my stash as well.

I will miss the case thickness on the M1-212 filters on my wife's Mustang. There is an Aeroshield I have to drop to access the oil filter from below, but it's a pretty open grid that could allow resonable size road debris through.

I have cut open 2 Purolator Boss filters, and they seem to be very good quality. I have no way to test media efficiency, so just a standard "cut open a virgin filter and eyeball" was my method.

I don't know what 'premium' means to you guys in NA, but over in Europe the best of the best oil filters available are Mann, Mahle and Hengst.
Anything else is either considered to be cheap junk, or, and expensively marketed piece of cheap junk with a brand name logo printed on the can.

At least at one of our retailers, the German Manns are still cheaper than the orange cans and so forth on the next shelf over. It's a pleasant surprise for those who drive European cars here. If the retailer is supplied by WorldPac, the German filters are cheap. If it's an Altrom supplied shop, expect to pay double.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken

I have cut open 2 Purolator Boss filters, and they seem to be very good quality. I have no way to test media efficiency, so just a standard "cut open a virgin filter and eyeball" was my method.

That's how I seen it for the first time as well. They had on cut open on a little stand by the register along with a Fram PH, Puro One, Mopar, and I'm probably forgetting another one. I do agree tho it looked good in store by comparison.

Here are the results.

Fram Ultra won by a huge landslide.

Napa Gold (same as Wix) was a distant second but still got a lot of love.

Rank Oil filter Votes

1. Fram Ultra 20
2. Napa Gold (Wix) 7
3. Mobil 1 EP 4
4. Hengst 3
4. Royal Purple 3
5. Mahle 2
5. Mann 2
6. Bosch Distance Plus 1
6. Carquest Blue (by WiX) 1
6. Clarcor (by Baldwin) 1
6. Denso 1