Need recommendations for an oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy the Toyota cartridge filters two at a time from my local Toyota dealer at $5.99 each for my Lexus IS350. Just did an oil change recently, and the filter was in excellent shape. I change oil and filter every 5,000 miles, so I can't say how it would look at 10,000 mile intervals.

I appreciate all the replies. But, where is the support for your choice? As I asked in my original post, where do you find information about the filtering efficiency so as to make an objective decision? Or the quality of materials to be used to determine whether it will last for 5 or 10K miles?

I seem to remember an Amsoil comparison showing Toyota filter and Honda filters as being very low (50%) in filtering efficiency. Is this adequate to maintain the health of an engine? I guess Toyota and Honda think so.

It's like when Rolls Royce didn't state horsepower, saying only it was adequate. The name on the filter is the seal of approval. Toyota also sells the TRD which is like a Royal Purple element. They do state efficiency which I don't remember, 98.6%@20 microns or something. The Amsoil graph of one filter sample is old and unverified by a second test. No one knows what the figures are for a current Toyota filter, or even if the Amsoil graph was correct at the time. The OE will fit right in the housing is one positive.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
I appreciate all the replies. But, where is the support for your choice? As I asked in my original post, where do you find information about the filtering efficiency so as to make an objective decision? Or the quality of materials to be used to determine whether it will last for 5 or 10K miles?

I seem to remember an Amsoil comparison showing Toyota filter and Honda filters as being very low (50%) in filtering efficiency. Is this adequate to maintain the health of an engine? I guess Toyota and Honda think so.

I bet you can count the number of Lexus engines world-wide that failed using an OEM filter using only one hand. Your Lexus engine will last indefinitely with an OEM filter and the specified oil, changed on the recommended schedule.

The support for my choice is every single ancient Lexus on the road with ancient owners that have only ever taken thrir car to Lexus.

OEM parts are the best parts.

Pick how long you will run the oil first - that will tell you OEM and several name brand filters will do ... If that was my ride - 7500 miles is very practical for a good synthetic and OEM filter ...

Google terms:
4548-12 oil filter fram tough guard

for example... then change the name of the oil filter (like "fram" to "wix" for another search.

Or don't do that. Many have here so you don't need to.

Ranking in efficiency values:

MicroGreen oil filter (not available for your Lex)
Fram Ultra (not available for your Lex)
Fram Tough Guard
Mobil1
Royal Purple
Wix
K&N
Toyota OEM

Sometimes the oil filter makers do try to hide 4548-12 results, yet that ranking list pretty much sums it up for you.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

I bet you can count the number of Lexus engines world-wide that failed using an OEM filter using only one hand. Your Lexus engine will last indefinitely with an OEM filter and the specified oil, changed on the recommended schedule.

The support for my choice is every single ancient Lexus on the road with ancient owners that have only ever taken thrir car to Lexus.

OEM parts are the best parts.

Now this ^ is good advice.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Google terms:
4548-12 oil filter fram tough guard

for example... then change the name of the oil filter (like "fram" to "wix" for another search.

Or don't do that. Many have here so you don't need to.

Ranking in efficiency values:

MicroGreen oil filter (not available for your Lex)
Fram Ultra (not available for your Lex)
Fram Tough Guard
Mobil1
Royal Purple
Wix
K&N
Toyota OEM

Sometimes the oil filter makers do try to hide 4548-12 results, yet that ranking list pretty much sums it up for you.

Lol. You cite requiring ISO 4548-12 results then post a "ranking" of filters, for which some of them there is no published data whatsoever. Your first and last are the most egregious. Show us ISO 4548-12 data for the microGreen, the Mobil 1 and the Toyota OEM please.

Or, don't do that.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Lol. You cite requiring ISO 4548-12 results then post a "ranking" of filters, for which some of them there is no published data whatsoever. Your first and last are the most egregious. Show us ISO 4548-12 data for the microGreen, the Mobil 1 and the Toyota OEM please.

Or, don't do that.

A troll like kschachn won't be able to make educated guesses where needed.
This 4548-12 has been around a while, with correlations to media type. Google it yourself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Or, don't do that.

A dingleberry like kschachn won't be able to make educated guesses where needed.
This 4548-12 has been around a while, with correlations to media type. Google it yourself.

Haha, you make a "ranking" just after citing the need for standardized ISO 4548-12 data, I question you on it, and instead of providing the data you (didn't) use to make your ranking, you call me a dingleberry. Nice.

As usual, resort to personal comments when you don't have a technical argument.

As usual, resort to personal comments when you don't have a technical argument.

You're a famous troll. You never offer any helpful information.

So you changed out "troll" for dingleberry in an attempt to avoid a vacation or ban?

Either way, explain how asking you for the very data you were requiring makes me either a troll or a dingleberry.

And clearly you are a former member who was banned once before, someone who wishes to appear as an expert but instead lets "educated guesses" replace verified data even within in the same thread.

Bottom line is they all work fine. You're just chasing meaningless criteria trying to pick the best one.

Purchased a 2016 Lexus IS 300 F Sport. Been looking into oil filters. Really hard to find any information on efficiency, quality, etc. I am not sure of my oil change interval plan. Three thoughts: 10K with filter, 5K oil 10K filter, or 5K oil and filter.

So far I been able to find the following filters that fit my car.
Toyota OEM
Fram Tough Guard (no Ultra available)
Wix
K&N
Baldwin
Hastings
Mobil 1

Oddly enough, the Toyota filter is one of the cheapest. Your thoughts are appreciated.

It looks like Purolator BOSS is also an option for you. The filter looks like a quality built filter for extended periods. However they only put out 99% efficient but not to what micron level. Too bad amsoil and Royal Purple don't make filters for your application. They are the same and have the ISO numbers (Royal Purple show it in the q & a section.)

I would talk to your dealer about warranty. Especially if you brought it in to them and they did the oil change. I would personally choose a filter that is designated for a higher OCI than what you are planning. I.e. 15,000 mile filter and change at 10,000 miles. Or your owners manual states.

If you are worried about the filter and oils effect on the engine, do an oil analysis.
It will make you feel better about what you choose and your change intervals.

I appreciate all the replies. But, where is the support for your choice?

Fair enough, here is a UOA after 10k miles on 0w20 TGMO and an oem filter.

LINK

As I mentioned earlier the oil seems to turn pretty dark after 2000 miles or so. But the results are still very good. With a Fram Tough Guard the oil color stays a nice, clean color during the oci on the Matrix. I'm coming up on 10k miles on that one and will take a sample. The MC filter also seems to keep the color lighter. And yes I know color isn't a tell all.

DENSO
smile.gif

I would not pay serious attention to any study or test results from Amsoil, as they would be designed to show their products as the best.

A high efficiency filter often does not last as long as a low one before it goes into bypass during cold starts, which results in a lot of additional wear. Ultimately a high efficiency filter will block sooner.

The figures quoted for efficiency need to be for the particle size that causes the most wear, not one chosen by the filter company. Also those figures are normally for a filter at the end of its life and in most cases of little interest. The figures I like to see are for a new filter, which in the case of a carboard media one will be lower than an almost blocked filter.
Major brand synthetic media filters are different, as their efficiency when new will be almost the same as when nearly full.

Quality counts a lot with oil filters, as a failure of the relief valve, media tears (Rather too common) and bad O rings can all have serious consequences. If the relief valve does not open during a cold start and the can or seal are weak, the oil pressure can rise high enough to cause a serious oil leak.

I only use OEM from a reliable source, gen Bosch, or Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
It looks like Purolator BOSS is also an option for you. The filter looks like a quality built filter for extended periods. However they only put out 99% efficient but not to what micron level.

BOSS is 99% @ 40 microns per the "Purolator Response Office". LINK

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

A high efficiency filter often does not last as long as a low one before it goes into bypass during cold starts, which results in a lot of additional wear. Ultimately a high efficiency filter will block sooner.

If that was true, the Fram Ultra wouldn't be rated at 15,000 miles use interval. Part of the ISO 4548-12 test is to verify maximum holding capacity relative to the filter going into bypass.

It's been said many times in these discussions that full synthetic media can be both a high efficiency media as well as a high capacity media due to the "depth filtering" characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back