BEST engines.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

also the Ford 2.3 4cyl is a great engine. I had a 95 ranger and never burned oil and always ran great. no power what so ever but it got me to where I wanted to go.

I'm glad to hear that...I just bought an 07 Escape with the 2.3 and I was hoping it would be reliable. So far, I've heard good things about it. Now the CD4E auto tranny is another story...!

Chrysler 3.2/3.5L motors....
Good power, good reliability, and excellent longevity...
I know of one that has over 300k miles.

The 3800 series I/II motors...some of the most bulletproof motors there are...bar none!!

Quote:

Quote:

3.1L GM.. Yes, even with the intake leaks in potentially has, it is a durable engine if maintained and will well exceed 200K if it is not neglected.

crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pat2.gif

I wouldn't call an engine the best if you have to crack the sucker open to replace gaskets in order for it to be reliable.

We lost a GM 4300 to an intake gasket - motor was toast. The other 2 we've had needed gaskets replaced.

I'd say these engines are big time P.O.S.es.

Well, my 3.1L GM is spotless, burns ZERO oil, and is whisper quiet with 130k. I replaced the intake gasekt at 50k before it became a major issue and the gasket is still holding up. Uses ZERO antifreeze, and I keep an eye on things. As I said, if you take care of this engine and maintaine it, it will last a long time. My mechanic performs repairs on another customer of his that has the same engine with just over 350K, and it runs perfectly as well.

I don't know the model number on the engine but, my friend had a 1985 Volvo Station wagon 4 cylinder. It had about 500,000 miles and still ran smooth. He rarely did any maintenence on it. He crashed it unfortunatly.

Quote:

Quote:

also the Ford 2.3 4cyl is a great engine. I had a 95 ranger and never burned oil and always ran great. no power what so ever but it got me to where I wanted to go.

I'm glad to hear that...I just bought an 07 Escape with the 2.3 and I was hoping it would be reliable. So far, I've heard good things about it. Now the CD4E auto tranny is another story...!

The 2.3 in the 95 is a different engine. It was all cast iron. The new ones are a mazda design. Very good egnine still.

Volvo red blocks, especially the last ones with the piston oil squirters. Should run forever with regular oil changes.

Have two right now , 86 240 and 94 940, with almost 400k miles between them.

Geez fellas! Didn't mean to strike a nerve with ya about my hatred for GM 3.1/3.4Ls! I can read your posts here, no need to PM me the EXACT SAME post you make in a thread. I can read it here just fine!

We've had very bad luck with them and various other GM motors. If you bought a lawnmower that was a total P.O.S. for you, would you buy another of the same brand? I'd hope not!

On the other hand, if you've had good luck with these GMs then I can see why you'd buy another and rake me over the coals for thinking they suck. I guess it's the luck of the draw. People have bad luck with Toyotas and Hondas and won't ever buy another of those brands.

crushedcar.gif
A belt is considered a wear item just like brake pads or spark plugs that needs to be replaced but gaskets are not considered wear items at all. Most belt driven engines do not require you to tear the engine apart or expose internals but chain driven engines require that. Most belt driven engines today have external belts that are lightly covered by either a plastic or stamped steel cover. Belts are only expensive if you have someone else do the work and then they are usualy cheaper then any gasket work. GM wanted $1800 dollars in parts and labor to do an upper intake manifold on my wifes 3800. Lucky for her I am Handy and Hansome! ANother guy on here said that GM want something like $800 to do the LIM gaskets on his 4.3. I have never seen a belt job cost that!

Drew99GT, The difference is that you could hate Toyota's and Honda's all you want and Toyota and Honda owners are not going to PM you anything about it! Most Toytoa and Honda owners will admit to the short comeings of a few designs with out any hesitation or fuss but most GM fans will not admit to anything GM has ever done as a flaw,poor design ect....I especialy love those individuals that have never owned a Honda or Toyota that hate them!! That is just as sily as my 4 year olds that think they do not like something before they have even tried it!

1800 bucks for a upper intake gasket? That can't be right, it's only about 2-3 hours labor. Lower intake on a 4.3 is around 5 hours labor. What were they charging like 125/hour?

Honda D17 (civic's 7th gen) 142 000 km...running like new, burns no oil...5w20 dino for the first 120 000 km now on QS 5w30 dino...40 mpg...

Using the words "best engine" and any domestic motor is an oxymoron!
It's a known fact that the Japanese make the best internal combustion gasoline engines period!

I'll ignore the previous post but agree with many of the others. Chrysler: Slant Six & 318 (in use for over 40 years). GM: any small block Chevy & the bulletproof 3800.
Ford: 302 & 3.0 V-6.

Quote:

Lower intake on a 4.3 is around 5 hours labor. What were they charging like 125/hour?

$125/hr isn't terribly high around here, it's just the higher end of average...I've seen some dealers go up to $140/hr.

$100/hr is average around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back