BEST engines.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who are interested in the Ford 300 / 4.9 will be interested to know that they were used in the Stewart and Stevenson MA Baggage Tow Tractor, the ones we have at work (FedEx) are MA50's with the 300 in them.

Fear! the MA Baggage Tow Tractor (which basically means bad mother___er)
http://www.aerospecialties.com/PDF_Files/TUG_MA_Tractors.pdf

Sorry about the .pdf, can't find anything else, S&S Sold their tug building business.

Note that the pdf states that they have Ford Automatics in them, and I've seen first hand they're indesctructable, so ford does know how to make a decent automatic, they're just too cheap to build them. They use the tugs at work to tow like 40,000lbs worth of euquipment and freight at once, and rarely ever do they break.

And FedEx has at least a thousand of them, if Fred decided to, he could probably tow the earth out of orbit.
laugh.gif

Best engines, Toyota 1.6 / 1.8 L family in the Corrola's. Seen these run one 1qt of oil with no ill effects! I have 6 of these cars on road in the family 89-97 with 4A-FE all over 200,000.

Ford 4.9L 300 I6 I cant beat these engines, only ever seem them fail if you just plain abused them

Ford 5.8 351 early 80's

Another Jeep 4.0 and my old Dakota with the 3.9 V6 went well over 300,000 before I sold it. (My friends dad pulled a 7500lb 5th wheel with his!!)

And I don't ever like Chrysler-dodge-Jeep!!

Quote:

426 HEMI....Ask the SS/AH guys

thumbsup.gif
cheers.gif

Amazing that we are on page 3 before the elephant is mentioned .
confused.gif

For upper end affordable performance there wasn,t anything like it then and there isn't anything like it now . Worth remembering too , what Bill French had to do to prevent NASCAR'S premier series becoming a one engine race . Just too much to list .... .
bowdown2.gif
TOTAL domination of anything it touched , street , strip , and track .
approved.gif
getdown.gif
patriot.gif
canada.gif

Quote:

Using the words "best engine" and any domestic motor is an oxymoron!
It's a known fact that the Japanese make the best internal combustion gasoline engines period!

Can anyone in here prove I30KRAB's claim. I like Japanese automobiles, but I wouldn't go so far as to say what he said. From what I have read and seen there are many well-built American engines, just as there are many well-built European and Japanese engines. My post is not to antagonise I30KRAB. I'm just stating my opinion.

Slant sixes sure were nice. I really like the Subaru engines, too. Interesting that some people say the inline engines are best....it seems the 180 degree vee's are darn good, too.

Liked the old US sixes...dang near bullet proof. Had good luck with Dodge 273, Chev 327, Ford 390 & 429, and Toyota 4 bangers. Kept regular maintenance up and got alot of life out of these.

Japanese- VG30 3.0 Nissan V-6, 20R and EARLY 22R Toyota,new 2.4 K motor in Accord
American- 300c.i.Ford truck motor,Dodge slant six,3.8 Buick v-6, Cummins5.9 Diesel in those #@$%! Dodge trucks
European- ALL Volvo red block 4 cylinders ... this motor was in a different time zone than anything else I can think of from Europe. As far as I can tell;Volvo died when that red block went off line.
In summary, if I could have only one engine for the rest of my days it would have to be the old 4.0 Lexus V-8 or the 4.7 Toyota v-8. Many of my customers who have older 4.o LS400s have passed the 400K mark with no oil consumption,no leaks,still smooth as glass and getting 25MPG on the highway. I'd like to have the old 4.0 in an extended cab Tacoma with a 5SPD. bolted to it. THESE ARE MY OPINION AND I'M CERTAIN I LEFT SOMETHING OUT.
hide.gif

Quote:

American- 300c.i.Ford truck motor,Dodge slant six,3.8 Buick v-6, Cummins5.9 Diesel in those #@$%! Dodge trucks
In summary, if I could have only one engine for the rest of my days it would have to be the old 4.0 Lexus V-8 or the 4.7 Toyota v-8. Many of my customers who have older 4.o LS400s have passed the 400K mark with no oil consumption,no leaks,still smooth as glass and getting 25MPG on the highway. I'd like to have the old 4.0 in an extended cab Tacoma with a 5SPD. bolted to it. THESE ARE MY OPINION AND I'M CERTAIN I LEFT SOMETHING OUT.
hide.gif

Mokanic,
I agree with you.I've had all quoted except the Buick.
That Cummins was great.But the Dodge around it fell apart.
I'm waiting for Toyota to give us a Diesel.
I own three Toyotas right now.

The Honda S2000 is not an engine.
The F20C2 (used in MY00-06 S2000's in Europe) is and that is the best engine ever made.
IMO.
See-ya at 9000 rpm... oh... I forgot... most-if-not-all engines are allready
crushedcar.gif
at those revs!

tongue.gif

Quote:

Slant sixes sure were nice. I really like the Subaru engines, too. Interesting that some people say the inline engines are best....it seems the 180 degree vee's are darn good, too.

More than a few really good engine people think the I6 is THE layout . Here's what one highly respectable organisation has to say about it . It's a bit of a read although funny along the way . In regards to your observation see para just above " Getting The Old Heave-Ho .
blush.gif
:
shocked.gif

Roddy At Ricardo

(09 Sep 02)

(Editor's Note: Rufus is away. In his absence, we have been able to engage the services of Roddy Rolls-Bentley, one of his colleagues from Single Malt Monitor.)

"Not a bad little spot for this kind of thing," I said expansively as we strolled on a sunny morning towards a pleasant enough industrial estate at Shoreham in Sussex. "Much of it yours?"

My companion looked puzzled: "I don't quite follow you."

"The industrial estate," I said, waving a hand in the direction of the extensive property ahead. "Which building does Ricardo rent?"

"This whole complex," he replied rather stiffly, "is Ricardo's Bridge Works. We have been here since the early years of the last century, in the home town of our founder Sir Harry Ricardo."

"No branch operations, then?" I asked in a jocular tone, having not yet grasped the fact that on-duty Ricardo people, except when they have certain well-rehearsed lines, don't do jokes.

"Apart from Leamington Spa, Prague, Chicago and Detroit," he said, rather dryly, "no."

I could see this might become quite heavy going, but cheered up as we entered the main reception building, and saw a pair of vintage motor-cycles - a Triumph-Ricardo on one display stand, a Harley-Davidson on the other. Sir Harry Ricardo (1885-1974, I observe from my hastily scribbled notes) contributed to both designs.

We were at Shoreham mainly to hear about Ricardo's work over the last few years with diesel engines, and in particular the company's co-operation with Renault. One of the rooms we shuffled into had sound piped in, and we listened to recordings taken inside the cabins of three diesel models.

Easy To Tell Them Apart

The first was a terrible racket, the second was much more restrained, and the third was little more than a purr. Our guide said they were, in order, a Renault diesel from the early 1990s, a current Clio dCi and a dCi Laguna.

"Are you sure you played these in the correct order," I asked, to inject some kind of party spirit, "and didn't slip in a petrol engine as number three?"

That managed to upset both the Ricardo and the Renault people present, and earned me a tug on the jacket sleeve from somebody sitting behind. On looking round, I recognised that rather earnest and stuffy character Robert Lewis, who hissed, "Shut up, you idiot. Do you want to get us all kicked out of here?"

Oh, right. Message received and understood. Best behaviour from now on, I assured him.

Then the subject of steam came up. It turned out that, a few years ago, Ricardo built a prototype steam engine, designed to be installed in a car, with a power output of 150bhp and an internal temperature of something like 530 degrees Centigrade.

"Don't you fellows know that steam-engined cars are a bit passé?" I enquired. "Rather a waste of time if you aren't building vintage locomotives for some kind of end-of-the-pier scale model railway, surely?"

More grim looks. It seems that the steam engine project was an entirely successful commission from General Motors, which just wanted to know if the thing was possible.

Q&A Out Of Sync

I cheered up considerably during a question-and-answer session. It started off rather awkwardly, because when you ask a Ricardo person a technical question nothing happens for about ten seconds. It's as if you've put a coin in a slot machine with a built-in delay.

What's happening, of course, is that he's mulling over the question on the basis of all the confidential work the company does, and deciding whether to answer it or to say, because you're not authorised to know what they're doing in that particular field of research, "I'm sorry. I can't tell you."

Not being aware of this problem at first, I asked one question, watched the Ricardo chap apparently go into a trance, so followed it up with a second question on a different topic, just as he answered the first one. This is possibly why my notebook seems to have questions about common rail injection systems mixed up with answers about the Ricardo transmission in the Audi R8s which have been wiping the floor with the opposition at Le Mans.

There were a couple of good, crisp replies, though. For example: what's your favourite engine layout? Quick as a flash, "When *** created the engine, it was a [ inline ] six cylinder ." What's the practical limit to the power and torque achievable with a turbo diesel car engine? "The transmission."

Getting The Old Heave-Ho

We also went to one of their NVH labs, where they put engines on test beds and measure them in intricate detail for noise, vibration and harshness, then suggest to the manufacturers various ways of reducing all three.

The test lab we visited is insulated against all manner of internal and external noises and vibrations, and the engine was very carefully mounted, but it's still in an extremely odd place, right under the flight path to Shoreham Airport.

"Don't you think," I suggested to the fellow who ran it, "that with all these single and twin piston-engined planes throbbing overhead every five minutes, this is a loony place to have a noise and vibration lab?"

I never heard the official answer. Lewis hauled me outside and snarled, "That's quite enough from you. I'll write the CARkeys feature on Ricardo."

And, having the editor's ear, he probably will.

(Editor's Note: he did. Here it is.)

Back to Rufus J. Flywheel column index

what's your favourite engine layout?

Last edited:
Quote:

One engine was so great they made a song about it. Remember which one?

She's real fine, my 409, don't remeber the band.
Also, Paul Revere and the Raiders did Chevy promos, of which I have a 45, entiled "SS 396" and "Corvair Baby"

Let me throw in a couple of wild cards (cars?)
The 3.0l flat six of the 911SC is said to be very good. I have yet to own one, but they are reputed to be easy 300K milers.
How about the Type IV VW? I opened up the one in my old Vanagon at about 105K, and the hone marks were still visible, with no ridges in the bores. Of course, the heads were cracked, but that's another story.
Also, the later 164 CID Corvair is very good, although it will leak oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back