BEST engines.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without a question, the best engine we have owned is the Cummins ISB 5.9L. We've put a total of over 1,000,000 miles on first and third generation 5.9s and they are just indestructible. With good preventative maintenance they will run a long long time. Just don't ask me about the Getrag trannies...

Wayne

4.3 GM V-6 was at 360km when we traded it in with zero problems. 2.2 chevy in a cavalier was at 400km when traded with no problems either.

Quote:

chrysler 4.0,

confused.gif
Do you mean the Jeep 4.0 inline-6?

3.1L GM.. Yes, even with the intake leaks in potentially has, it is a durable engine if maintained and will well exceed 200K if it is not neglected.

"Ford 302"

I had one several years ago and it just didn't have any power. If I have to back to the best in it's time, I would have to say the 327.

Qualify BEST for your respondents. Durability? Longevity? Operating characteristics? Efficiency? Ease of ownership? Etc. How about the MB diesels of the w123 generation for long life? They were very slow though, no fun to drive.

Quote:

3.1L GM.. Yes, even with the intake leaks in potentially has, it is a durable engine if maintained and will well exceed 200K if it is not neglected.

crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pat2.gif

I wouldn't call an engine the best if you have to crack the sucker open to replace gaskets in order for it to be reliable.

We lost a GM 4300 to an intake gasket - motor was toast. The other 2 we've had needed gaskets replaced.

I'd say these engines are big time P.O.S.es.

Last edited:
Quote:

Toyota's 2JZ-GTE

I agree. Perhaps the most legendary bulletproof/strong engine ever made. I can't think of any other mill that can easily handle 700+++ horsepower on the dead stock long block all day long without even a hint of a complaining.

Audi 2.2 I-5. Delivers 30 mpg in my older car, 245k miles without a single service except a rubber VC gasket. Original TB/WP. Near zero oil consumption/leakage. Turbo versions powered World Champion Rallye cars and IMSA Racers at 700hp....the "S1" version. The definition of "bulletproof".

I had awfully good luck from Ford's 302's and also their 3.8 liters. Also had an indestructible 2.2L Honda in a '92 Accord...the car finally fell apart around the engine, and it was driven hard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back