Best compact-midsize diesel cars available in US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With gas getting more & more expensive, I am seriously considering purchasing a diesel powered car, when I'm in the market for another car in a couple of years.

Which companies are currently producing reliable diesel powered cars, that get >30 mpg, in the USA? I'm thinking of something in the
Aside from using the proper spec. diesel oil for the engine, is there anything that makes diesels more maintenance intensive, or prone to sudden breakdown, compared to gasoline engines? Is it good or bad to change diesel engine oil more frequently than the manufacturer recommends?

If I were to consider a used diesel-powered car, what would be the best way to insure that I'm not buying an engine that's about to go kaput? What kinds of things should I inspect on a used diesel engine car?

Any thoughts?

Honda is supposed to have an Accord diesel in 2010. Otherwise, the '80s Mercedes diesels that are still around run forever, and can be had fairly cheap. Besides that, there's only VW here in the US, and they're not known for their reliability.

My neighbor 3 doors down (who I don't know) has an 80-something Mercedes Turbo Diesel, as well as another 80-something Mercedes 2-door convertible & a 70-something Corvette. Maybe I'll go talk to him & pick his brain. He might be able to point me toward a used 80's MB diesel on the cheap.

I was going to say (and, obviously, will) ..you look like you're going to be choosing from a list of one or two ..new anyway
dunno.gif

Most manufacturers have diesel cars in production. The problem is that our legislators are in the way. If they though people would vote for them if they approved a diesel sedan we would have one tomorrow.

One of the main blocks to small diesels in the US is Mike 'Jack***' McCarthy of the CARB. He is quoted as saying that he will not certify any new LD diesels for CARB unless all of its emissions are equal to or less than a gas engine. He means NOx of course.
There is one poster on another board that believes because of this no new diesels will make it to the US, despite of Honda's claims of meeting latest 50 state compliance.
I think enough pressure needs to be put on federal and local politicians that McCarthy needs to find a new job.

Pro's of owning a diesel:
* SLIGHTLY better gas mileage
* Reliability (of engine only)

Con's of owning a diesel:
* Diesel is more expensive than gas, and therefore you're only marginally saving $$$ at the pump.
* Diesel cars don't have much power (especially VW's)
* Only new diesel cars are VW (which fall apart after a few years)
* Only other option is a Mercedies from the 80's - which is WAY overpriced... and 20 + years old.

I know it's tempting to go diesel when you see the "50 MPG" claims. However, VW owners are VERY vocal about not getting that kind of gas mileage. Most are getting in the mid-to-high 30's. With the high price of diesel, they're paying the same (and sometimes more) as all the Japanese gasers getting low-to-mid 30's.

Quote:

* more torque at low RPM, better driveability than small gas four cylinders, unless you are a fan of trying to keep the rpm's 3500-4500 or so

* chemical defense system vs tailgaters, floor it to emit a dense cloud of smoke (well maybe this won't work with the new sissy clean diesels but it sure did on my 1985 Golf diesel
laugh.gif
back then they didn't even have catalytic converters)

Jeremiah, you're not quite telling the whole story here. There's very few like offerings in diesel for comparison. You don't have disels in the gas powered cars that get 50 mpg. A diesel would be the only way that a vehicle of any appreciable size could manage decent fuel economy. Aside from a 3/4 ton truck, no diesel is offered in any economical purchasing package. The Liberty, when offered, was the most expensive trim level. Only an automatic was offered.

The rest is political in nature. It's just too complicated and muddled in bee-essence. That is, most of what you describe is a manipulation and fabrication of need that doesn't trump the need for economical transportation and moving closer to energy independence.

Why do we, with less density of population ... a deindustrializing nation ..have issues with diesels ..while the rest of the planet ..does not?

Here 40 miles from Los Angeles diesel is going for $3.05/gal while gasoline is selling for $3.44/gal. I'd say thats a big difference... At work (110 miles from LA) diesel is in a similar situation - almost 50 cents cheaper than gasoline.

This not the case elsewhere in the US?

While I own an 04 VW Jetta TDI, I am not a cheerleader for VW. Nevertheless, with 35K miles on the car, it has been trouble-free. The only failure so far has been a burnt-out headlight at 30K. I replaced the light and disabled the daytime running light feature. The timing belts will need to be replaced at 100K miles, not 40K. It's my wife's car, she drives conservatively and gets 47 or 48 mpg in mixed driving. The local dealership seems to be an anomaly in that it is competently staffed and run. The car has only 100 HP but 177 #' of torque which is more than adequate to move the car smartly when necessary. Good car to train kids to drive a manual transmission--almost impossible to stall. This particular car's neutral color, combined with bland styling, mean it's invisible to cops. There's now no downside to owning this car, and my only question is how well it will hold up over time.

Quote:

* Diesel is more expensive than gas, and therefore you're only marginally saving $$$ at the pump.
* Only other option is a Mercedies from the 80's - which is WAY overpriced... and 20 + years old.

I know it's tempting to go diesel when you see the "50 MPG" claims. However, VW owners are VERY vocal about not getting that kind of gas mileage. Most are getting in the mid-to-high 30's. With the high price of diesel, they're paying the same (and sometimes more) as all the Japanese gasers getting low-to-mid 30's.

I'm going to have to respectfully say "bravo sierra" on most of your points. My 2004 Jetta TDI regularly delivers 53-55 mpg and has hit 60+ in mixed driving. The car has been quite reliable and I've experienced few problems. It also has more than adequate power and is fun to drive. I know of TDIs going 300k and up without major problems so your claim that VWs fall apart after a few years is specious at best. Right now, RUG is $3.29 locally and #2 Diesel $2.79. You do the math.
I know of no TDI owners who get less than 40 mpg,and my worst has been "only" 46 mpg which was the result of some very high-speed driving with the windows down. I think most people would be more than happy with a "measly" 46 mpg anytime.
wink.gif

Quote:

Here 40 miles from Los Angeles diesel is going for $3.05/gal while gasoline is selling for $3.44/gal

Here in New England, diesel is only about $.05 cheaper/gal. Several months ago it was $.70 more expensive.

I have a 2003 Jetta TDI wagon/79k, we average 49mpg and have hit 60mpg. Even going 85mph I'm still getting 43mpg. Diesel in my area is $2.83 and regular uleaded is $3.25

Something Jeremiah should practice is keeping his mouth shut about a car he knows nothing about.

40k TB were only on the first year automatics of the new body style. Since that time long ago TB's were improved with newer, longer lasting rollers. Now the timeline is every 100k.

Slightly is not the word I'd use, significantly is though. They can get 50mpg on the highway, easily. The engine is more reliable as well as the car on a whole because of this.

Diesel usually is cheaper then RUG.
TDI's have as much power as a Prius in terms of acelleration from a standstill. Passing power is where they excell.

VW's do not fall apart after a few years although your argument sure has.

The new 2.0 Common-rail engine is much, much faster then the retired 1.9 TDI. Much more power, much more torque, & even better fuel economy.

Reports in that it has the pontential to get 45 city & 60 highway while being as clean if not cleaner then a Prius.

Wyane, wait till 2009/10 and drive all the new cars we may be getting. The VW is a sure thing but I haven't heard much on the other except the Accord coming.

early 1980s MB diesels last forever. newer ones trade a bit more complexity for more fuel economy. Still expect well over 200k miles.

Here gas is $2.849 and diesel is $2.699.

JMH

Quote:

Except that it's the torque (which diesels have plenty of) that you feel when you hit that accelerator pedal. Due to the abundant torque, a small displacement 4-cylinder diesel can pull like a large 6-cylinder gasoline engine at low rpms, something a typical American driver likes and is used to.

Quote:

Not so sure you are familiar with the diesels of today. In the past few years, I have owned Ford, GM, Dodge, and VW diesels. Fuel mileage is always BETTER than expected. Heck, my 435rwhp Duramax consistently got over 20mpg. I can't find any gasser that gets close.

My fiance owns a 2006 VW TDi. She has 27,000 miles on it already and mileage per tank has been 48-52mpg. 100hp doesn't seem like much, but the low end torque helps it move easier than most 4 cylinder gassers. From everything I have seen, VW owners are VERY VOCAL about getting BETTER than advertised fuel mileage.

In my area, we are paying 3.49/gal for 87 octane fuel. ULSD Premium Diesel is at 2.91/gal. More than 50 cents per gallon LESS.

I sold all of my diesel trucks as I wanted to build up an LS1 again, but now I am really regretting it. Thank #@$%! we kept the TDi.

Diesel gets a hearty thumbs up from me
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back