GM Vauxhall Insignia Diesel Crank Main Bearing Delete

Brilliant!
Had a 318i e36 ragtop.
A truly good and fun to drive car I should have kept.
Dead reliable like old-school BMWs used to be.
If only they didn't have rusty body shells. In the four years of owning, I have only seen three others. Even the E46 is a rare sight in the last few years.
The four cylinder BMW engine is a perfect design. In F1 BMW tuned the hell out of it to give 1500 bhp in qualifying. All from a cast iron block from the early 1960s.

So I worked late last night. I put it back together in the minimum number of bits to allow it to run.
Started up fine, but has a vibration. Went home.
Fresh brain today and I realised that the front engine mount was just resting, rather than bolted to the body.
Second try, sounds just fine. Oil light goes out on cranking. No vibration.
I left it running for a few cycles of the radiator fan. Seems okay. No snapped crankshaft :)
I'm not as daft as I was when I was a teenager (I started my first Japanese car business when I was eighteen) so I will build up the courage and finish putting the driveshaft and other stuff and hit the road on Sunday.
Hopefully I won't end up stranded :)

So I worked late last night. I put it back together in the minimum number of bits to allow it to run.
Fresh brain today and I realised that the front engine mount was just resting, rather than bolted to the body.
I left it running for a few cycles of the radiator fan. Seems okay. No snapped crankshaft :)
I'm not as daft as I was when I was a teenager (I started my first Japanese car business when I was eighteen) so I will build up the courage and finish putting the driveshaft and other stuff and hit the road on Sunday.
Best of luck to you!
Be sure to let us know the outcome on your holiday.

An update of the GM Insignia with centre main crankshaft bearing delete:
So I ran the engine numerous times as it sat in my workshop. I finally found the courage to drive it.
Before doing so, I did another oil and filter change. Just Dexos 2 from a local discount store it was a Rock Oil product from Warrington UK. About $25 for 4.5 litre. Fully synthetic.
Hengst oil filter.
Within about 1/4 mile, there was a significant amount of vibration. I returned to my workshop and quickly found the cause. The breakdown recovery had damaged a lower radiator bracket. The radiator was sitting on the front cross member.
$7 for a new alloy bracket and try again.
Well, all seems absolutely fine.
The oil pressure light goes out straight away on a hot or cold start.
The engine seems perfectly smooth.
After 500 miles, I revved the engine to the limit for around ten seconds in each of the lower gears.
I still avoid motorways. A really decent bottom end engine block is on eBay at the moment.
I am tempted to buy, but the car seems fine as it is.
Thank you for your help and commitment.
I will update at 1,000 miles :)

I forgot to mention: the promised BMW E36 1.6 Touring oil filter which is now about 25k miles old will be charged in the next few days.
I will post the MOT record to prove. It's a Hengst filter. I took the BMW on holiday. About 1/2 miles from destination, I drove through a flood which was nearly at the top of the headlights.
The electric windows complained a little. It went onto three cylinders, but it got me to my destination and home.

The Insignia pages are rife with people suffering with this issue. I can't believe Vauxhall never recalled them. It's certainly a case of when and not if.

I'm really interested in how far this engine will go!

Back