Best carbon remover gas additive

I have a fuel injected vehicle that runs rough for about 10 minutes then all is fine. I was told I possibly have some carbon build up. Is there any new good cleaner I can put in the gas tank to address the issue?

Use top-tier fuel such as Chevron and skip additional additives. Wind that engine up occasionally.
While that is good advice and I've had success with Shell fuels cleaning a sticky injector on my Jag, the best protocol is a very healthy dose of Techron, Redline S1 or other additive that contains sufficient PEA. As the fuels contain 10x less additive than if you mix by the instructions, and 20x less if you do a double dose.

Note, not all additives are the same, and some that claim to contain PEA, actually contain very little. There is a youtube video channel that explores this. Techron is a known quantity, and if not the absolute highest concentration, is certainly "up there" in concentration.

Anything with a good amount of PEA will do a good job of cleaning injectors. Techron is best. Gumout Regane High Mileage is also good. If there's no improvement after one treatment, I'd start looking elsewhere for the problem.

It could be related to the MAF sensor, a vacuum leak, weak spark, or a bad injector. Using an ODB2 scanner to check fuel trims and to see which cylinders might be misfiring could help you narrow down the problem.

I have a fuel injected vehicle that runs rough for about 10 minutes then all is fine. I was told I possibly have some carbon build up. Is there any new good cleaner I can put in the gas tank to address the issue?
If it were carbon, your engine would run poorly all the time. I believe you have something else causing it and I would run a scan to check things out.

Car only gets 93 Octane as it an LS3 engine. Thanks for the input. Techron never did any better than Chemtool B12 for me. CRC or Rislone Hy-per fuel complete system cleaner were recommended. However, I have never used these items before.

I get all the other recommendations but they are not related to my question. Thanks for the input.

There's lots of threads on the interwebs with LS3 owners complaining about rough running until the engine warms up and goes into closed loop. It seems like the nature of the beast. When the engine is cold, the ECU runs the injectors, timing, etc on default values and doesn't rely on the O2 and other sensors. If those default values are too rich/lean, advanced/retarded, then it will run poorly until things warm up.

Maybe @clinebarger can chime in with some expert advice?

There's lots of threads on the interwebs with LS3 owners complaining about rough running until the engine warms up and goes into closed loop. It seems like the nature of the beast. When the engine is cold, the ECU runs the injectors, timing, etc on default values and doesn't rely on the O2 and other sensors. If those default values are too rich/lean, advanced/retarded, then it will run poorly until things warm up.

Maybe @clinebarger can chime in with some expert advice?
Thanks. I am good with what I have done for the moment. Not my first LS3 but was using it for reference as they are picky with carbon build up. Just looking to see if something new to use was out there. Can you provide the threads you are referring to?

Last edited:
You were told something is possibly the issue, but was a proper diagnosis ever performed? I agree with Donald, a simple borescope inspection is pretty easy on most vehicles and clearly shows the presence of any carbon buildup. You can't see the ring pack or landings, but this would be a better starting point instead of just throwing stuff at it and hoping it gets better.

Redline SI-1. one of the best fuel additives on the market. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

Redline SI-1. one of the best fuel additives on the market. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet.
Cujet misspelled it, but beat you to it in Post #5.
While that is good advice and I've had success with Shell fuels cleaning a sticky injector on my Jag, the best protocol is a very healthy dose of Techron, Redline S1 or other additive that contains sufficient PEA. As the fuels contain 10x less additive than if you mix by the instructions, and 20x less if you do a double dose.

Note, not all additives are the same, and some that claim to contain PEA, actually contain very little. There is a youtube video channel that explores this. Techron is a known quantity, and if not the absolute highest concentration, is certainly "up there" in concentration.
For carbon removal specifically, I have found the BG 44K treatment to be superior to other additives. Yes, yes...BG products and services are way overpriced (and probably in collusion with some dealerships and repair shops), but they are effective.

Back