Do I Need High Octane Gas?

I’d toss a bottle of Techron into a full tank of premium fuel (from other than your normal gas station), and start with that.

If it continues on regular after that, I would consider in turn what some of the others have suggested: new fuel filter, plugs, and then make sure you don’t have a sagging coil.

Assuming it is a non turbo SFI?
My buddy just had his blow at 118k miles and it was doing the same thing and he was by the book on maintenance.. Cost him $13k in all..

Not saying yours is but just a warning.
What was his cause of failure......might help out OP to know

I’d toss a bottle of Techron into a full tank of premium fuel (from other than your normal gas station), and start with that.

If it continues on regular after that, I would consider in turn what some of the others have suggested: new fuel filter, plugs, and then make sure you don’t have a sagging coil.
Yes.....do the big 20oz bottle of techron and go for a highway drive for 30mins.

I don't know if it will on Ford, but the extended PID's in Torque Pro will let me look at the misfire monitors for the last cycle and last 10 cycles - so even without a misfire code or pending code you can see if its a specific cylinder (s). If not Torque, maybe forscan does also?

Also log your LTFT under load - might tell you which bank?

Could be ignition, could be fuel, could also be valve timing. You need to get some good scan data of the actual event or its a pure guess.

Sounds like spark plugs and/or coil issues. As mentioned above, load related misfires are often spark related.

However, I will note that my older X-Type Jag did have an injector sticking issue that was cleaned up by Shell fuels.
I think changing out the plugs is the first thing I'll do .

I too suspect the fuel filter. A dirty filter would cause loss of high end performance.
A secondary suspect would be a broken catalytic converter with the pieces clogging the exhaust. Give the converter a kick and listen for rattling on the inside.
I dont think this vehicle has a fuel filter just a strainer .

If it were mine I'd start with a strong dose of Gumout Regane or Techron in the fuel tank and then plugs if that doesn't do it.

Assuming it is a non turbo SFI?
My buddy just had his blow at 118k miles and it was doing the same thing and he was by the book on maintenance.. Cost him $13k in all..

Not saying yours is but just a warning.
What exactly went bad on his engine?...Aside from the water pump issue on FWD versions the 3.7 is a pretty good engine.

The 3.7L Cyclone engines are very reliable overall (water pump replacement is a different topic). To the best of my knowledge they were only ever SFI non-turbo.

It's unlikely the higher octane fuel is going to resolve any issue; these engines don't need anything but "regular" gas and were not spec'd for high-test. There were some E85 approved applications as well.

Most likely the OPs concern is caused by a coil/plug issue. Other (more unlikely) cause could be the knock-sensor going bad or having bad wiring (rodents), but that should set a MIL code.

If it were mine I'd start with a strong dose of Gumout Regane or Techron in the fuel tank and then plugs if that doesn't do it.

What exactly went bad on his engine?...Aside from the water pump issue on FWD versions the 3.7 is a pretty good engine.
This was early on.
I had to remove some info as his name and number were on here on a few places. Haven't talked to him since. Bad subject...

1000001881.jpg

This was early on.
I had to remove some info as his name and number were on here on a few places. Haven't talked to him since. Bad subject...

View attachment 204548
WOW...I'm wondering what would cause an engine to 'lock up'? I wonder if he drove through high water and caused it to hydrolock? If it were mine I'd have found a 'junk yard' engine or parted it out depending on it's age and mileage. $17K is a lot of money to spend repairing a used car.

Edit: After writing the above post I see it has 118K (not a lot but also not low miles)....I also see they adjusted their estimated repair charges down to $13K and not the $17200 quoted (still a lot). I'd still have searched for a low mileage used engine and a trusted indie shop to install it.

Last edited:
WOW...I'm wondering what would cause an engine to 'lock up'? I wonder if he drove through high water and caused it to hydrolock? If it were mine I'd have found a 'junk yard' engine or parted it out depending on it's age and mileage. $17K is a lot of money to spend..
I hooked him up with a new motor with a 100k warranty for a good price but I haven't talked to him as I know he didn't have the money and it was a sore spot... you know..

Back