Best car you ever had

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny that mine is Canadian imported right out of Oshawa Ont. With F-41 suspension and quick-ratio steering. American cars are a rarity here but I like their overall calm interface and unlabouring sound at speed, and this car particularly, I think, got some fine engineering.

I must say opposite poles atrtact.

Originally Posted By: ikeepmychevytoo
Funny that mine is Canadian imported right out of Oshawa Ont. With F-41 suspension and quick-ratio steering. American cars are a rarity here but I like their overall calm interface and unlabouring sound at speed, and this car particularly, I think, got some fine engineering.

I must say opposite poles atrtact.

Did your car look like this?

800px-Chevrolet_Citation_II_front.jpg

My Dad had an 85, but was the buick skylark version, with the 135hp V6, it seemed quite fast at the time and light on its feet. I guess compared to alot of cars in Turkey at the time it would quite impressive! I had an 81 Olds Omega (same car underneath)a few years ago with the 115hp V6 and even it had no trouble passing. I drove it 4000km half way across Canada with out get a sore back.

^ yes that's an '84. With blacked out chrome trims and grille a "Eurosport" version. Citation/Omega/Phoenix/Skylark are "X body" types sharing many parts and the service manual but different cars. I also like the Omega, it should feel peppy with a v6, actually I did seek and found one used ten years ago but was in miserable shape, so I settled down with the alike Celebrity from a cardiologist. Since that time I'm also emotional with cars so I never been able to part with. Opel Omega and Senators in the market are the distal relatives but I don't like their styling nor the suspensions as much. 2.7 turns lock to lock and light steering was phenomenal till the 90's. Many Europeans would have heavy steering despite being assisted, but real men wouldn't confess :)

edit: Note to self. My car is out of the radars of presence. From now on I better supply the pictures.

I've been something of a car-slut over the years. Here's my rundown:

69 VW Beetle -- was what it was, but worn out when I got it.

79 Pontiac Astre (Vega clone) - there aren't words to describe how awful this car really was. . .

83 Pontiac Trans AM - Gak, awful, awful, awful...

84 Pontiac Trans Am - Don't ask why this one's on the list. Almost as bad as the 83, but at least it had 50 more hp...

82 VW Jetta - A great car until it was nearly totalled, then fixed, but inadequately. Lesson: always find a reason to be rid of a near-totalled car...

86 Dodge Aries - Until recently, I wouldn't have actually admitted I owned this car, but alas, I did. It was actually OK, considering it was THE cheapest new car I could find when I wanted a cheap car. Yes, I admit it -- I actually bought a K-car -- and nobody was pointing a gun at my head when I bought it.
wink.gif

88 Honda Civic -- my second-best car ever. Owned for ten years and over 150k miles. Almost flawless, and served me well when I needed a cheap and reliable ride.

98 Regal GS (the Supercharged one). The white one. So horribly defective, the dealer took it back after six months and 10k miles and gave me another one, brand new, even trade.

98 Regal GS (same SC car). The blue one. Better but still not a car I'd send my wife out on a road trip with.

01 Highlander. Very good, but I made the horrible mistake of leasing it, and driving it so much that if I'd kept it until lease conclusion, I'd have paid dearly. My mistake on that one.

02 Camry (two of those too). The first had a bad trans (a manual of all things...), the second, swapped for the first, was perfect -- until it was totalled in a crash in 3/03. Were it not for the side-curtain airbags, I'd have been dead along with the car.

03 V-6 Camry. A great car, but very thirsty for the engine and car. I loved it, and probably should still be driving it, but was seduced by a friend who was working at the Infiniti dealer in New Orleans.

04 G35. Another good one, no flaws I can really complain about, except that it was a very, very basic mode. No options at all, cloth seats, low grade stereo, etc. Would have kept driving it, except my wife HATED it (why, I still really don't understand) and one day, I stumbled upon a very nice used Prius...

04 Prius. Bought used in 06 with only 15k miles on it, and Toyota Certified used. Excellent car in many ways.

09 Hybrid Camry. THIS ONE IS THE BEST OF ALL. Bought used in 8/08 with only 5k on the odo. Driven it since. It's supremely comfortable, peppy, and economical. I love this one, and will probably have it for a long, long time (unless seduced by something clearly better...).

I still miss my 1982 BMW 320i. That thing was a a tank. I have to say that, despite the constant sludge worries, my SAAB 9-5 was a [censored] fine car.

Softball question- Without a doubt the best car I've ever had is my 1973 Plymouth Satellite, 318/904. 438,000 miles, and will keep going once I get her prettied up again.

2nd best- 1993 Eagle Vision TSi- wife's car. 257,000 miles with nothing but a transmission overhaul (front seal leak- trans still worked fine) at 160k. Still even looked good when we sold it.

My best car in terms of maintenance:
'93 Mitsubishi Eclipse 1.8L manual tranny. I retired it at 240k miles back in '05.

My favorite:
'77 2WD K5 Blazer w/ 350ci 3-speed auto. Painted maroon and white with dark red interior. It was a blast. Still have it, in very rough shape, i will restore it one day.

Originally Posted By: LTVibe
1985 Chevy Cavalier

No, I'm not kidding. It was the most consistently reliable car I ever owned. My Vibe would have been a tie, but it had the occasional "heat soak no start" TSB issue with its Toyota-built ECM.

My 1987 Cavalier was nearly flawless when I had it. It was my first car, and got me through college with no issues. The only time it gave me an issue was a day of an important final, when the Battery and the connection went. Other that that-no issues at all. Even loved the sporty look (it was an RS w/ a sunroof)

Originally Posted By: CErnst
My best car in terms of maintenance:
'93 Mitsubishi Eclipse 1.8L manual tranny. I retired it at 240k miles back in '05.

My favorite:
'77 2WD K5 Blazer w/ 350ci 3-speed auto. Painted maroon and white with dark red interior. It was a blast. Still have it, in very rough shape, i will restore it one day.

My wife's grandpa had a 1979 K5 Blazer in that exact same colour - Maroon with a white-painted top. I've seen pics of it - it was a real off-raod beast!

My favorite is a tie between my 03 Cobra TRMN8TR and my 99 Jeep TJ.

Best peforming by far was my 89 Ford F150 XLT, that thing ran and ran and never gave me any trouble. In 200,000 plus miles I bet I put a total of under $100 in non routine maintenance in that thing.

Last edited:
I've been fortunate to have owned several good ones, but a few stand out.

1971 Ford Bronco 302, 3 on the column (bought new)

1976 Buick Century Wagon V6 (bought new, kept for ~120k miles)

1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l (still have it and still enjoy it!)

Most reliable and wish I had it back: '97 Ford F150 2wd Supercab Flareside with the 4.6. By far the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and the one I got a ton of compliments on. It was in Moonlight blue, kind the of the bright royal blue. Sharp truck...

Vehicle that puts a smile on my face: My '88 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0l. Still have it. It's a Jeep thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back