Best car you ever had

Status
Not open for further replies.
1984 Buick LeSabre Limited with the 307 Olds.

Outside of tires, oil, filters, and brake pads.... nothing.

I don't think the front end was ever re-aligned.

imagen8n0lv.jpg

I've had three V8 Mustangs, (85 GT, 91 LX 5.0, and 98 GT Vert) and each of them was solid. Anything that did go bad was easy to fix.

I did have a 91 Ford truck that was a basket case, but that was due to the previous owner being an idiot. Like putting ATF in the old style three-speed manual transmission... and a bunch of other things.

Best car I ever had?

-best reliability record (bought since new):

1991 Mazda 323 base model 5M/T, straight from the dealership (new) and never failed on me when I sold it after 15 yrs of operation

-best car that gets me going on a shoe-string budget:

1986 Suzuki 3-banger (Chev Metro/Pontiac firefly): bought as 3rd owner, got me through college on a shoestring budget, never hand any stranded situation even w/o block heater in -36C, took it down on SCCA racing with ole-boys beemer and won 4th place, etc.

- best little car that lives up to my expections:

2006 Honda fit with 1.5L engine (it's acually considered an RS version in Japan):

-excellent performance for such a small car, good performance on the engine side, typical Japanese built HOnda quality (built in their Suzuka plant in Japan), best mileage attained so far is 5.2L/100kms (roughly 46.3miles/gal), with A/C on while cruising down Wash state.... Also the magic seat arrangement is nothing short of amazing.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Best car I ever had?

-best reliability record (bought since new):

1991 Mazda 323 base model 5M/T, straight from the dealership (new) and never failed on me when I sold it after 15 yrs of operation

-best car that gets me going on a shoe-string budget:

1986 Suzuki 3-banger (Chev Metro/Pontiac firefly): bought as 3rd owner, got me through college on a shoestring budget, never hand any stranded situation even w/o block heater in -36C, took it down on SCCA racing with ole-boys beemer and won 4th place, etc.

- best little car that lives up to my expections:

2006 Honda fit with 1.5L engine (it's acually considered an RS version in Japan):

-excellent performance for such a small car, good performance on the engine side, typical Japanese built HOnda quality (built in their Suzuka plant in Japan), best mileage attained so far is 5.2L/100kms (roughly 46.3miles/gal), with A/C on while cruising down Wash state.... Also the magic seat arrangement is nothing short of amazing.

Q.

You got 46mpg with the Fit? Wow....that's fantastic. Is this common for you? What is your average?

for my Fit, avg. 5.7L/100kms, or 42.3miles/us Gal.

On highway, cruising around 95kms/hr (63miles/hr), typically with Chevron/Texaco 87 octane rating, with between 20~80% A/C on (when it rains in PNW, you have to keep your A/C on)...tires on 32psi (cold, all 4). Load typically 1 occupant (myself, weighs 176lbs) + 200lbs load (my gear), or occasionally an additional passenger weigh in @ 170lbs.

City driving ususally less for esp. when the A/C is on (rain) and lots of short trips, I fare between 6.8~7.8L/100kms typical.

Q.

1968 Mustang - 6 cylinder/3 speed stick....drove it over 300,000 miles...could not kill it. Gone.

1965 Pontiac Tempest - 326 V-8/Powerglide...drove in from 1965 to 1985. 100% reliable, never left us stranded. Gone.

1999 F150 - Bought it new, has 133,000 miles. Has unreal acceleration, like a muscle car. 100% reliable. Daily driver.

1977 Ford LTD 2 door. 135,000 and 5 years of ownership never needed anything besides regular maintenance. it never broke down on me. i never took it to a repair facility. never any trouble of any kind.

Originally Posted By: My442
1968 Mustang - 6 cylinder/3 speed stick....drove it over 300,000 miles...could not kill it. Gone.

1965 Pontiac Tempest - 326 V-8/Powerglide...drove in from 1965 to 1985. 100% reliable, never left us stranded. Gone.

1999 F150 - Bought it new, has 133,000 miles. Has unreal acceleration, like a muscle car. 100% reliable. Daily driver.

Is that 99' F150 a Lightning edition?

Could you post a pic of this truck?

I had a 1990 Dodge Dakota that was prettty good, and of course my 08 Frontier has been flawless so far.

Honorable mention to my 03 Sentra SER Spec V that got wrote off in an accident.

Originally Posted By: 97f150

Even if its the normal 5.4L its still got a good kick in the pants off the line, the peak torque of 350ftlbs is at 2500rpm plus you get the torque converter multiplication effect.
I imagine if you have a light version of the truck and some exhaust work it would feel and sound pretty zippy.
My Dad has a 4x4 super cab one which is almost 1000lbs heavier than a 2wd regular cab, if the back tires don't spin it launches pretty good. I'm sure the 1/4 mile time isn't too impressive but the engine gets 11,000lbs of truck and trailer moving smartly from a stop.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Even if its the normal 5.4L its still got a good kick in the pants off the line, the peak torque of 350ftlbs is at 2500rpm plus you get the torque converter multiplication effect.
I imagine if you have a light version of the truck and some exhaust work it would feel and sound pretty zippy.
My Dad has a 4x4 super cab one which is almost 1000lbs heavier than a 2wd regular cab, if the back tires don't spin it launches pretty good. I'm sure the 1/4 mile time isn't too impressive but the engine gets 11,000lbs of truck and trailer moving smartly from a stop.

Yup, the 5.4L in my Expedition has no problem lighting up both rear tires for a split second off the line (until the Auto 4x4 kicks in). 3.55's and t-loc out back.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Yup, the 5.4L in my Expedition has no problem lighting up both rear tires for a split second off the line (until the Auto 4x4 kicks in). 3.55's and t-loc out back.

Depends on the rearend and tires. I had 00 5.4L 2wd with 3.55LS and stupid me put the 4x4 sized tires on it. Can't remember the sizes. Couldn't believe how much it dogged it down.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Depends on the rearend and tires. I had 00 5.4L 2wd with 3.55LS and stupid me put the 4x4 sized tires on it. Can't remember the sizes. Couldn't believe how much it dogged it down.

Probably the same tires as my Expedition. 265/75/17 IIRC.

1984 Chevrolet Celebrity, ?'78 technology. FEA designed, fine aerodynamics, 5 stars from NHTSA crash test, very good visibility, in-calibration speedometer. Quick, precise and true steering up to 120mph full speed. In-detail and avaible producer documentation. Looks understated, light metalic blue, blue interior.

Never drove any car better handling and more comfortable in the same time. I believe there must be very few, me wonders Citroën CX or 80's Jaguar XJS (?)

How similar are those to Celebrity's that were produced in North America - is it the same car, or something else 'called' a Celebrity?

It sure sounds different than our celebrity here! Although you might be surprised. In 2000 my wife and I visited her friend in Stuttgart Germany and one of their family cars was a 88 Cadillac DeVille of all things...(I was hoping for Porsche or atleast a benz) 110 mph was no problem on the autobahn, engine just purred away, it was a bit floaty but went where it was steered even around gentle curves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back